• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noise

Robert 123456 said:
I am aware that an R1150GS is not a Harley. But in my opinion, if I am riding up to pass a car, I am less likely to be ignored if my bike sounds more like a vehicle than a sewing machine, and the driver is more likely to hear me and check his mirror before changing lanes. I also ride as though "they are all out to get me". This is exactly why I want to make a little more noise. Not neighborhood waking noise, but enough, at highway speed, that I am not easily ignored by cars. Anything that helps to draw attention of car drivers cannot hurt.
(emphasis added)

Since everyone has taken a step back from the impassioned discussion, I'm going to throw my $0.02 in on the original question.

Like others mentioned here, I've heard loud pipes in the cage before, but only AFTER the "biker" passed me. I'm always amazed that I can't hear the deafening roar until the motorcycle is actually in front of me. If a car can't hear the deafening roar behind them, then they certainly won't notice the "little more noise" than stock.

The reason this is such an important distinction is that the only reliable motorcycle crash study we have notes that only about 3% of motorcyclists are hit from "6 o'clock" - that's where the pipes are aimed and the sound is going. Yes, sound travels faster than a car, but if the sound is aimed behind the motorcycle not enough radiates forward for a car to notice. (That's why the audience can hear my trumpet over the rest of the band while the drummer doesn't even hear what I'm playing.) Also, notice where the horn(s) is/are located and aimed.

Logically, the best way to ride safe is to focus most of our personal attention between 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock (where the study concludes most motorcylists are hit in multivehicle crashes).... That's why we keep hearing folks here say to forget the loud pipes (as a safety measure), and that your most important safety equipment is between your ears.

Respectfully,
Mark

Most gearminded people know that, whether it's concerning cars or motorcycles, there is a difference between a nice tone and irritatingly loud noise. For instance, in my mind, a Ducati with a muffler that lets some of that sound out is actually melodious; I've heard Harleys with a nice pleasing rumble (but not too loud); an inline four wailing through the right can is also pleasing to my ear.

I just like for a motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle. The choice doesn't have to be obnoxious or not obnoxious. Unfortunately boxer motors of any type don't seem to have a musical tone, so they a best kept "relatively" quiet.

cheers, mike

I'm not going to restart this. You are all right. I want my bike a little louder because I think it will sound cool. I don't care if nobody in a car can hear me. Besides, in my opinion, the aftermarket pipe looks better than the stock unit.

So, let's recap. I want an aftermarket pipe because I think it looks cool and sounds cool. There is no other reason for me to get an aftermarket exhause on my bike. Now sounding cool only works up to about 95db, so I don't think I'll be going any louder than that.

So, now you all have it. The only reason I would add a pipe is because I think it looks and sounds more cool than the stock item. Now, I realize you all think the stock unit looks and sounds cool enough, and that is your opinions. I respect them enough (and realize that it is next to impossible to change someone's personal preferences) to NOT waste any of my time attempting to change your opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Now, can we argue about something else? You have all stated your opinions, and most of what is coming now is repetition, which is not nearly as much fun and a fresh argument.

My two cents.

I've had my 2002 R1150RS since Sept. of 2002.
Right now, it has about 27000 miles on it. I have installed a
Techlusion 83i since 20000 miles, before that I didn't notice my bike surging much, since I ride my bike quite hard aroun 6-7000 rpm most of time, but i do feel the difference before and after the Techlusion immediately.

IMO all of our bikes have enough stock power to get ourselves into trouble, the control of that power is more important to improve than the power itself. I invested money in a set of Wilbers shocks at 18000 miles, they allow me to accelerate faster, brake harder/later before turns, lean the bike further in the turns, if I hit a bump in the middle of the turn, I don't feel like I need to change my line. Overall, the Wilbers have increase the control that I have over my bike, situations when OEM shock would leave me tumbling in the gravel, the Wilbers kept the bike in line and the rubber stuck to the pavement.

I also invested $5.00 at local auto supply store for a 130 db horn.
I have woken up drivers at 90+mph on highway with that horn.
I usually make people know my intensions when I am trying to pass. I follow the car in front of me closely for them to notice my headlight in their mirrors, signal to pass and throttle wide open.
I rarely pass a car without going significantly faster than the car that I'm passing, and raise my left arm during the pass. Double yellow or not, if I want to pass, the driver in front of me will know when I'm passing.

On the highway I play quite a few games with cars, cruising at 90+ mph is fun for a few minutes, but chances of getting caught is much greater when you do it alone. I pick out cars to follow, fast car drivers are easily provoked to go faster then they should most of the time. Once you found someone who's willing to take the risk to keeping up with you on your motorcycle, you can easily temp them to go 100+ mph. Common curtious gestures can seem very friendly to them and allow them to trust you to follow their car closely at high speed, the same time their cars can offer you wind protection and presence on the road so no one would dare to cut you off.

Like my moto sais:

Last edited:
Already got the horns. Looks like I'll be purchasing the Teclusion unit in the near future. Pipe later, maybe. They are pricey for BMW's. Thanks for the shock info.

To me, the OEM exhaust pipe really isn't something of a priority to replace with aftermarket ones. Most people think they are getting a good amount of engine performance increase, but in reality how often do you slide your rear tire exiting a corner?

OEM exhaust last a long time, does not require re-packing, built in cat, stainless steel... just a little heavy.
Keep the OEM exhaust and invest your money else where, like a couple of track days to hone your riding skill, or learn how your bike behaves when pushed to the limit, as is with OEM exhaust.

:brow

Mikea,

I would disagree with you on no boxer sounds good with an aftermarket exhaust. I have heard a couple with the Two Brothers and they have a nice deep sound to them. The only
problem they are too loud.

I put the Staintune on my RT and to me it looks a whole lot better than the bulbous stock unit, which I thought was chrome plated.

I weighed both systems and the Staintune is 10 pounds lighter.
I do not notice any power increase, but I am not a hard rider
so I don't notice small differences.

I made the change because I like the looks of the Staintune and I wanted to be able to hear the exhaust. I did put the baffle in because without it the Staintune is way too loud for me. It is a
bit too raspy sounding to me, but I have been told it will deepen
with time. I'll wait to see. I wish it was a little bit more quiet
with the baffle in.

I asked my wife what she thought and she said it sounds better than the stock system. I guess I have to go with her feelings since she does tolerate my 2 motorcycles.

Gerald

Gerald,

I shouldn't have made my opinion sound like such a declaration. I put a Remus can on my R100R (the louder one on the advice of the dealer) only to be dissappointed by a flat, too loud sound for my taste.

For some reason, I haven't been thrilled by sounds of open piped BMW or Porsche racers either ( although I'd happily own either). I drilled/pounded out the stock muffler until I found a sound that is somewhat pleasing, but isn't bouncing off nearby rock cliffs too loudly. The bottom line is I'm nuts for cars and bikes, and I like their sound only to a greater or lesser degree if it's not ear-splitting.

Like all music, it's a matter of taste. Anybody know how I can get another 10 horses? Yes, I know-wrong forum.

Happy trails, mike

BTW, smart to keep wife happy.

The beautiful notes of the Remus on my K1200 are MUCH preferred over the whistle of my 1150RT.

I don't like the obnoxiously loud pipes that have sadly become the trademark of Harley riders, but silence is not golden either, IMHO.

Get 'r done !!!
:burnout

noise

Mikea,

I think we probably agree on the sound from a BMW. I just want
a slightly louder and much deeper exhaust note. I do not like
loud either and I don't think that loud pipes save lives under
most circumstances. I am sure there have been a few cases where that is true, but not enough to warrant all of the loud
pipes I hear.

Like my wife, I do like to hear a H-D with a deep mellow, not too
loud sound. I think after 37 years I'll definitely keep my wife and
try to keep her happy as well.

Gerald

Toss in the $.02 (again)

Having owned & built H-Ds, both loud & mellow, then switching to BMW, & building both loud & mellow; I gotta go with "season to taste". So long as it's <~100 dB at 10 feet (front & sides) I don't care, they're not deafening my ears. SOMEwhat louder does keep you in others' roadview, I feel. However, my best methods of avoidance are:
1> NEVER be static in traffic; always climb or regress
2> Always try to be aware of where everyone elses' blind spots are & DON'T be in them
3> The cafe solution: put your troubles behind you (XX+ mph bursts when you sense danger/closterphobia)
Hadta add... <<<)))

replacement of stock exhaust

I believe it was in the latest issue of "Rider" magazine, someone wrote in to ask the technical guru guy about using a Techlusion on a Beemer. According to him, reprogramming the fuel map while using the factory exhaust would eventually clog the cat and cause serious engine problems. He definitely recommened replacing the stock exhaust when changing the fuel programming.

Re: replacement of stock exhaust

scottie boy said:
I believe it was in the latest issue of "Rider" magazine, someone wrote in to ask the technical guru guy about using a Techlusion on a Beemer. According to him, reprogramming the fuel map while using the factory exhaust would eventually clog the cat and cause serious engine problems. He definitely recommened replacing the stock exhaust when changing the fuel programming.

The "guru" needs to talk to Techlusion, rather than fielding his opinions as fact. The Techlusion website has excellent details on the operational theory.

The Techlusion does not "reprogram" the ECU's fuel map. It just adds time to the injector pulse. The O2 sensor is still fully functional as well. The unit does need to be set up correctly as per supplied instructions. If one had tuned the unit so incorrectly as to kill the cat, the poor performance would be immediately obvious.

If I could mount a danger meter on my dash and measure where I'm becomming vulnerable, the meter would go up in situations when I'm cruising
at 70mph down a straight road and a farmer in a pick up truck has his left turn signal on a quarter mile ahead in the oncoming lane. How much will loud pipes help here?

Loud pipes are like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Last edited:
People in cages that play that loud bass that can be heard two blocks away get hit. People in cages don't pay attention and the cages today are so sound proof that they wouldn't hear you unless you were ahead of them.

:type My '98 RT (used) came with a loud D&D pipe. It howled on the road and backfired constantly on deceleration. On my first long-distance ride to MO, another RT rider admonished me that, "BMWs should be seen and not heard." After the long, lonely ride back across OK and western KS, I had had enough and replaced the D&D with the stock muffler--and it remains stock today at 50K miles. The 'HOWL' seemed to be trapped between the pavement and the bottom of the system case and it followed me at all speeds--even with ear plugs, it was relentless.

To my embarrassment I realized I sounded as bad as our Harley bretheren who seem to equate noise as being synonymous with motorcycling "freedom". They forget, of course, that the general public has "freedoms" also--among them is the right to be "free" from racous, obnoxious, ear-splitting, conversation-stopping noise.

I've heard some BMWs with certain after-market exhaust systems that were very pleasing--a little more throaty than stock, but still not to the point of being objectionable to the general public. It is a choice each of us must make for ourselves.

And, oh, yes--I've passed a LOT of Harleys, none of which heard me coming or could hear me out in front. ;)

(I'm going to get some replies to this last sentence...)

When it comes to staying out of harm's way, I don't rely / depend on anything....other than my sense of awareness.

For me, it's all about paying attention....when I need to. Sure, once out on the open road and traffic is light, I can and do relax, enjoy the moment, and take in all of nature's surroundings.

I've never used / had a headlight modulator, tail-light flasher or whatever they are called, loud pipes, or anything else that could be thouight of as some kind of attention getting device. When you don't rely on these items, you are forced to depend upon your wits, riding experience(s), skills and abilities.

In over 35 yrs. of street riding, the above has served me well. :D

Back