• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noise in the clutch

bobw

My 2017 RT has started a rattle in the clutch. I can hear it when it's cold but not after it's warmed up. When I pull the clutch in it is quite. 77,000 on the bike. Clutch don't slip. Anyone else have this problem
Bob

My 2017 RT has started a rattle in the clutch. I can hear it when it's cold but not after it's warmed up. When I pull the clutch in it is quite. 77,000 on the bike. Clutch don't slip. Anyone else have this problem
Bob

I don't have the answer. But does it sound like a Ducati?

Rattles are common in dry clutches, as with Ducati and HD Panheads and some Shovelheads. You'll wonder "what is that awful clattering racket coming down the road??" Think of a handful of nuts and bolts in an aluminum can.
With a wet clutch (as the Wetheads have), it's a question of "degree". A wet clutch still requires "just a little bit" of slop to allow its movement ... Compare it to another bike of the same year.
Pulling in the clutch lever to disengage it puts direct pressure on the assembly, so it doesn't rattle then.

While the noise may change or abate with clutch activation it’s entirely possible that what you are hearing has nothing to do with the clutch. Side slap between transmission gears can produce a noise like what you describe, and while annoying it does no harm. Side slap with trans gears is usually more noticeable with a warm transmission tho, the opposite what you are describing.

Brick-k bikes and early oilheads were especially noted for such transmission noises.

Best,
DeVern

Bob

No idea. You need to provide some information. Does it rattle in neutral with the clutch released? I think my 1250RT does that a little. It has just shy of 16k on it. There is no rattle when I pull the clutch lever in. Every single motorcycle I have ever owned has done this to some degree, although my 1250RT is the first bike I've ever owned with a wet clutch.

A Ducati dry clutch rattle sounds really scary if you know nothing about Ducs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIf41Xccss

Hopefully your 2017 sounds nothing like that.

I had a similar issue with my 2012RT, turned out inside the tranny the 'intermediate forward bearing" was about to blow. And yes it did.
Draining the tranny produced quite a mix of metal pieces. Had to replace with a used tranny. Suggest a tranny drain and inspect.

I had a similar issue with my 2012RT, turned out inside the tranny the 'intermediate forward bearing" was about to blow. And yes it did.
Draining the tranny produced quite a mix of metal pieces. Had to replace with a used tranny. Suggest a tranny drain and inspect.

It is a wethead. Tranny and engine share same oil, wet clutch too.

At about 75k miles my Harley FXR wet clutch started making rattling sounds, pulled the plates, they were pretty well worn and not so flat anymore. I replaced all plates and spacers. I never regretted that. Time and money well spent, to me.

Stebe I should check the plates for peace of mind but at 81 years old I just don't feel like doing it. I would think with shift assist the clutch would not be working that hard.
Bob

Back