• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No TPM on new GT

brianm

Just curious- I've never had tpm on any of my bikes, and wondered how many of you think it's important for your bike- I'm considering a new K1600GT, but it does not have Tpm or the fancy headlight option..I also understand it cannot be retrofitted as a BMW option (the tpm), maybe some other aftermarket kit. I don't care about the the Tucker Headlight so much.
So would you consider that a deal breaker? It is an odd option package not to have it, but I like the color/price a lot.
Thanks!

Just curious- I've never had tpm on any of my bikes, and wondered how many of you think it's important for your bike- I'm considering a new K1600GT, but it does not have Tpm or the fancy headlight option..I also understand it cannot be retrofitted as a BMW option (the tpm), maybe some other aftermarket kit. I don't care about the the Tucker Headlight so much.
So would you consider that a deal breaker? It is an odd option package not to have it, but I like the color/price a lot.
Thanks!
It is absolutely not a deal-breaker -- we all seemed to have survived for decades before TPM was available.

That said, the first bike I had with TPM paid for itself the first day -- I hit a massive pothole at the entrance to a tunnel (no place to pull over) and instantly knew whether the tires were still holding air and I didn't need to immediately stop. It was a hard enough hit to bend the dickens out of the rims, so it was GREAT to have the TPM to let me know that the tires were not going to be flat/wobbly in the next few seconds, and therefore I could get out of a very bad place (high speed, downhill, no shoulder blind curve tunnel entrance, where the daylight/tunnel light transition lasted long enough that a stopped bike would have been hit hard within the first minute).

I would not let the lack of factory TPM stop me from buying a bike, but I would be looking to install an aftermarket system as one of the first farkles.

I prefer no TPMS. Mine is about 10% off (reads low) and complicates tire changes. I thought TPMS was one of the few things dealers could add.

I don't ride the type bike you're talking about, but I do have TPMS on the F800. Not required at all IMO. I do watch it some as I ride to make sure I've not developed a leaky tire, but that said, I also carry a good gauge and check my tire pressure manually fairly often (at least daily). TPMS, to me, is sorta like many of the other "features" of the Motorrad computer system--the engineers seem to put them on the bike simply because they can, not because they are particularly useful to a rider.

Just last week while cruising on I-90 a quick scan of the TPM revealed a slow loss of pressure (1 psi every 15 minutes) on my rear tire. The early warning let me slow down, and pick a spot to investigate which turned out to be a small nail.

You never need tpms until you need it. It is a back up safety device like oil monitoring or temp gauges. They are all users under 99.999999% of the time when things are normal but that one time, that one time when it warns you and allows you to stop safely well then it was worth it.

I disagree that it is a throw in useless Farkle. It isn't meant to be monitored all the time, it is an early warning safety device. We all check our oil often, but it is sure nice to have a light go on shod it run low, I see tpms in the exact same way.

+1 -- that was my point above: it's not necessary, but at a critical moment it can be *very* useful.

Personally, I find the temperature compensation algorithm renders the pressure read-out virtually useless as a pressure gauge (not to mention the 2 psi difference from the read-out and multiple pressure gauges I own). Thus, I use it solely as a gross pressure indication for early problem detection. My air pressure gauge remains on the bike for those times when I want to know what the real TP is.

Thanks!

You may want to check with another dealer. TPMS can be added afterwards on the wethead GS bikes. Although that doesn't necessarily mean it can be added to a K16, it might be worth making a few calls.

According to BMWmotorcycles.com TPMS is an option, part of the "premium" package.

I have it on my GS and love the feature. I will have it on all future road bikes. I like it that much. I had no problem changing tires with BMW TPMS in place, FWIW.

Personally, I would find one that already had it.

Thanks!

You can also add TPMS via Garmin that should report to your Nav5?

Well you guys are great!- lots of good input here.
It seems the value of TPM comes from prior experience or not, and I would think that a $26,000+ motorcycle should have it. I like the idea of knowing my tire is losing air at 85 mph...
I don't get BMW making this part of an option package that combined with the headlight tracking and hill start control is really not that expensive in the scheme of things. The TPM should be standard. I would opt to have TPM over the other two. (Ironically- hill start control can be retrofitted but TPM can't)
So...

Well you guys are great!- lots of good input here.
It seems the value of TPM comes from prior experience or not, and I would think that a $26,000+ motorcycle should have it. I like the idea of knowing my tire is losing air at 85 mph...
I don't get BMW making this part of an option package that combined with the headlight tracking and hill start control is really not that expensive in the scheme of things. The TPM should be standard. I would opt to have TPM over the other two. (Ironically- hill start control can be retrofitted but TPM can't)
So...

Sorry for doubting you, but are you really 100% sure TPM cannot be added later?

Thanks!

First of all, it is NOT true the TPM cannot be retrofitted on a GT. Cause I done it! If you have any questions pm me.

The TPM dependence is sort like women, once you had one, its hard to do without them. I got the GT and could not live without a TPM, so I ditched the big bucks it costs for retro-fit vs. the less big bucks it costs as an off-the-floor option.

Sorry for the confusion- I was told that TPM can be added, but not a BMW integrated system as from factory. I am sure there are several aftermarket add ons, but it would be nice to have it integrated into the original system controls and display. That is what I meant by retrofitted as a BMW option.

Sorry for the confusion- I was told that TPM can be added, but not a BMW integrated system as from factory. I am sure there are several aftermarket add ons, but it would be nice to have it integrated into the original system controls and display. That is what I meant by retrofitted as a BMW option.

Brian,
Once again, YOU CAN retrofit the BMW TPM integrated into your computer to be shown on the display of your bike. Regardless of who told you that this cannot be done, they are incorrect. The shop I had it done at ordered the TPM unit from BMW (they are not cheap). It is then plugged into a fitting and the software is updated.

Call this number (301) 497-8949 (a highly regarded BMW shop in MD), and ask for Darryl, a service mnrg., they have done at least two that I know of. These guys have done the research that apparently your source has not, and have done the job. Mine works fine.

Thanks Mopo-
I am going to give them a call and get the info. Really appreciate you trying to get me set up.

Brian

Back