• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

happy with the 10" TFT screen or wish you had the older 'dual' screen setup?

motor4

So I am just window shopping, kicking the internet tires on a boxer to maybe one day buy. See I am firm in not having a date to do it by as yet lol.

What are your thoughts concerning the bmw new 10 TFT screen and interface? Do you like it better then the piror design (smaller TFT as on the R1250R with option to connect a bmw nav in the bmw accessory plate)? Did you like the older R1200RT analog instrument cluster with the built in bmw nav holder?

Other things I am pondering...
  • Adaptive headlight, sort of liking that though think that limits me to a 2020 and newer R1250RT
  • R1250 engine, well way outside chance a base R18 used at a give away price with cruise or ability to add it (after 02/21 build date I believe)
  • Maybe settle for a 2017 R1250 shiftcam model, has the updated transmission, and go without the fancy 10" screen nor adaptive headlight
I did do a demo ride on a used 2015 R1250R and both liked the bike and that small TFT screen (was easy to see in bright daylight).

Based on the reviews and data points on Nav VI problems, I wouldn’t let the ability to add it to a bike be a major determining factor in the decision. The Garmin ZumoXT on a handlebar mount would work well as a guidance backup to the TFT, it just doesn’t respond to the wonderwheel—not a big deal in most minds.

Best,
DeVern

I like the TFT screen. MY 2018 R1200 GS (from what I've read online) typically came standard with analog gauges. The TFT screen was an option with the connectivity package. I'm no expert, so don't quote me on it though. There does seem to be some connectivity issues when you're trying to connect multiple devices (GPS, Phone, helmet audio, etc.). Also, the BMW Connectivity App also connects to the TFT screen in case you'd rather use that on your phone than use a GPS unit. FWIW, I just got a Zumo XT, but I used the Connectivity App prior to it.

FYI, the R1250 Shift Cam engine came out in the 2019 model year. Up to 2018 is the R1200 LC engine.

FYI, I chose a 2018 R1200 GS because it had the TFT screen and updated shift assist pro. So far, I've been very happy with the bike.

So I am just window shopping, kicking the internet tires on a boxer to maybe one day buy. See I am firm in not having a date to do it by as yet lol.

What are your thoughts concerning the bmw new 10 TFT screen and interface? Do you like it better then the piror design (smaller TFT as on the R1250R with option to connect a bmw nav in the bmw accessory plate)? Did you like the older R1200RT analog instrument cluster with the built in bmw nav holder?

I have a 2021RT and don't care for the TFT screen ! This is my fix :) .
GPS5.jpg

I like mine.

I just finished a 6000 mile trip to Glacier NP and all worked well....mostly. I am using a iPhone se. The app quit working 2 times. Both times I was in high heat 95*F + and at speed crossing Nebraska. I put blame on Nebraska.

M

I have a 2021RT and don't care for the TFT screen ! This is my fix :) .
View attachment 88698

Is your BMW Navigator plugged into the bike for power and data, and if so does it respond to the wonderwheel?

Best,
DeVern

Darn, just read, read anew, the most recent post about Cham issues on I infer the r1250 engine. That makes me worried about concerning getting one now. If it is enough of an issue then maybe best not to consider a shiftcam engine yet. Well at least the R18 won’t be effected.

I intentionally bought my 17.5 GS for the analog. While I love the TFT screen I did not want the hassle of the way it navigates. I am not a person who lives with a cell phone on my hip at all times.

The 17.5 GS has been everything I wanted. It is a low model and to me it makes all the difference in the world to me at my height and inseam of 30".

The only issue was the NAV VI it flaked on me 4 times! The fourth unit I replaced I sold and bought a Zumo XT. Using it in the OEM cradle I bought the Italian Guys adapter. I have since purchased the TourTech locking Zumo XT mount and the factory repair plug to get power from the original power source of the OEM mount.

If your set on a 1250 go for it as the TFT is getting straitened out a bit. However any bike after a 2017 has a updated drive shaft and bearings and shudder dampener. That is the only reason I wanted out of my 15 RT for the new drive shaft updates. Mt 15 RT was ok shifting but I needed to think about shifting. On the 17.5 GS it is smooth as butter except into first at a stop from neutral. I never stop in neutral I shift into first when coming to a stop. All other gears are fine with only a snick going in.

I would tell you the old adage of "buy the newest bike with the least miles you can find". However anything past a 17 has the DS updates so if your looking just for the update it opens a big field of bikes.

As I say I love my 17.5 GS and could have bought TFT or waited on a 1250. I bought my 17.5 as a leftover in 18 and with the deal I got I could not say no. I am content and happy and do not miss TFT because I never had one. However after reading all the stuff and updates and pairing issues and overheated phones in the cubby, I am pretty sure I would have blown a gasket going through BMW's Beta program on the TFT. I don't have the mental attitude for hours of updates and fussing with it. As I say I think a few updates has it working well enough for those who like it.

Last edited:
Overall I'm pretty happy with the TFT on my '22 RT. There have been teething issues and BMW's support of the TFT has been abysmal but I like having an integrated solution where I can get what I need for information easily. IMO the Tom Tom based Nav is superior to the Garmin - their routing seems to take into account more factors. The only remaining issues I have with the bike are the radio - but a radio is a "nice to have" on a motorcycle rather than anything to do with riding/performance.

Is your BMW Navigator plugged into the bike for power and data, and if so does it respond to the wonderwheel?

Best,
DeVern

Yes it is and no it will not respond to the wonderwheel , but then I have never used the wonderwheel to control the NAV VI so it didn't matter. I get power from the outlet on the right hand side of the bike , I later tapped into this outlet and put a new Powerlet where the right hand speaker would be and since this outlet is on a relay and shuts off several minutes after the bike is turned off you don't have to worry about draining the battery if you leave the NAV VI in the cradle.

Attachments

• GPS5.jpg
    GPS5.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 136
  • GPS4.jpg
    GPS4.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 136
I'm probably going to mount a Zumo XT on my BMW R18. I have tried to make the NAV work but after 2,000 miles of riding and having the NAV & App continue to crash at the worst time (about once per hour when I'm on at rip), I'm done. I had a dealer update the software (200 miles round trip + 8 hours of waiting) and as soon as I left the dealership, the TFT rebooted the NAV feature 3 times before I made it to the interstate. This was after spending 30 minutes resetting the TFT, my app, my bluetooth, reinstalling the app, etc.

very frustrating.

Also BMW chose to criple the R18's system by not giving me a tachometer on the dash. My TFT screen is just a picture of the R18 motor. I'm jealous of the RT riders who actually have a usable screen:

This is what my screen looks like:
BMW-R-18-B-cockpit-tft-screen.jpg

Obviously an engineer designed display on my TFT. I will once again say the 21 RT was not ready for release and they should have got more user input. They have so much wasted display space and I don't need a huge Tach display. The other mistake was not leaving the Nav VI as an option in a transition to their App. I had to mount a Zumo XT as the Connected App lacks the flexibility of a separate nav system. If I had a chance for a do over I wouldn't have bought the 21 RT but got a 2020 model.

How did you mount the Nav VI? As I recall, there is no mount on that bike.

Bill

I used the NAV VI car mount and replaced the cigarette lighter plug end with a Powerlet 90 degree power plug. I think the car mount was around $120 or so.

Obviously an engineer designed display on my TFT. I will once again say the 21 RT was not ready for release and they should have got more user input. They have so much wasted display space and I don't need a huge Tach display. The other mistake was not leaving the Nav VI as an option in a transition to their App. I had to mount a Zumo XT as the Connected App lacks the flexibility of a separate nav system. If I had a chance for a do over I wouldn't have bought the 21 RT but got a 2020 model.

I couldn't agree more !!!

Really surprised they didn't create a standard UI template so that as you traverse the difference displays, some key information like speed, gear, etc. remain in the same place.

The TFT on my 2022 GS is beautiful to look at, but the software interface is terrible. An exercise in frustration more often than not. And yes, I've watched all the "how to" videos, more than once in most cases. The TFT will never properly pair with my Sena 30K. I always have to put the Sena into "pairing" mode every time before I ride off and make sure everything is paired up before I pull away. As anyone with the TFT knows, once moving you can't access the settings page and have to stop to change or reset anything. Last June I rode over 6000 miles to the pacific northwest and back. After the first week, I just gave up trying to get everything connected and went back to just letting my Sena pair with my phone, which is always automatic and requires no additional inputs from me. Don't like the fact that then I'm looking at "greyed-out" Phone, Nav, and Music pages on my TFT. :mad I wouldn't do it again unless BMW does a complete re-work of their connection software (or forces their vendor to) and we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.

Back