• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to the AIRHEAD World

scottsirgo00

Morning all,
Well I've gone further down the Rabbit Hole. My Brother saddled me with a bike that I have been wanting for a very long time but the right opportunity hadn't presented itself. This 1970 R75/5 with 39,947 miles on the clock has been stored for the last 15 to 20 years in a barn until this past weekend. I am not sure where to begin so for the moment, I plan to put her on the table and wait until I am able to pick y'alls brains at the National in a few months. I also have a number of other bikes that need some PM at the moment.
My thought is to preserve the bike but make her mechanically and electrically sound. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

R75 5 Barn.jpg

I welcome you to the MOA. If/when you make it to the national rally in Springfield MO, be sure to find the Airhead Central tent. Joining the Airheads Beemer Club is the best investment you can make to keep your bike in good operating condition. It looks like your R75/5 is pretty complete and un molested. The air filter chamber is dis-assembled and the intake tubes are missing. For a start, you will want to search out and clean up mouse nesting material under the top and front motor covers. Great find! My main ride is a 1973 R75/5. I have owned it since 1989.

Good luck with this project. You'll get plenty of help here and Airheads.org and the airheads mailing list.

Check out "The BMW Guy" on you tube. He is currently posting videos of a restore of a 20+ year stored bike. Also check out Brooks Airhead Garage; great videos.

This 1970 R75/5 with 39,947 miles on the clock has been stored for the last 15 to 20 years in a barn until this past weekend... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 87457
What a great project bike!
You must to go through the whole bike, front to back and top to bottom.
1. I would see if it runs: a) clean the tank, clean the carbs. b) drain and replace crankcase oil, transmission, driveshaft, and final drive oils. c) install fresh plugs, check the points - replace if needed. d) install a fresh battery. e) put in some fresh, no ethanol gas. See if it FIRES UP!
2. The rest of the steps require cleaning, lubing, refurbishing EVERYTHING, or replacing as necessary. The list is long, but very doable. These bikes are simple and easy to work on, and reliable as a sledgehammer.
3. There are so many great resources for information and parts. The list is extensive so I won't attempt to start one, but I can help with specific needs.
I recently restored my Dad's old 1974 R90/6. It sat in a barn for over 30 years; a basket case is an inadequate description... it was much worse. But, it is now in pristine condition and being ridden by my Dad's grandson, which happens to be my very own son.

NICE slash 5

Morning all,
Well I've gone further down the Rabbit Hole. My Brother saddled me with a bike that I have been wanting for a very long time but the right opportunity hadn't presented itself. This 1970 R75/5 with 39,947 miles on the clock has been stored for the last 15 to 20 years in a barn until this past weekend. I am not sure where to begin so for the moment, I plan to put her on the table and wait until I am able to pick y'alls brains at the National in a few months. I also have a number of other bikes that need some PM at the moment.
My thought is to preserve the bike but make her mechanically and electrically sound. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 87457

Keep it original:clap

Thank y'all for your input and interest. After reading your comments, and going against my severe AR tendencies which are a direct result of not being properly breast feed as a child according to my Mama, I've decided on this course of action. The frame and body components will remain exactly as is. The only upgrades will be mechanical and electrical.

First: R&R oil pan and filter assembly, new oil. Sonic clean carbs with new rubber parts. Rebuild pet cocks and replace fuel lines. Refurbish starter. Disconnect electrical systems not required for test running. Fuel Tank is already very clean.

Second: Run bike, with cooling fan, just to see what is what.

Third: have a beer and grin.

Forth: Pick others Brains for path forward.

Well, this is the my current plan. I am really warming up to the idea of letting her tell her story. The tank even has a dusting of metal flake with the pin stripes on top and then cleared over. There are no seams at the transitions.tank.jpg

Thanks

Very fortunate find there. For sure keep that fairing and saddlebags.....The old brain cant bring up the name of the saddlebags (PLEASE NEVER PANNIERS) but they were the choice of the /5 touring fellas. The fairing is what was on my first of the newer style in the early 70's. An Avon. Hard to find now but oh so desirable for on the road. Before Mr. Vetter made his remarkable design and most were going with Rangers or flat barn door plastic. If you can find some lowers the design would be complete for sure.
Not many had that kind of seat; but if you can find someone to re-upholster it or find a Pegusa for the seat and there on top of the rear fender the rack with removable seat........ohhhh would you be set up for a long long journey on a wonderful bike. Take good care of that and dont just show it off..........RIDE!!!!

God bless and good luck............ :bolt

Back