• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New-to-me R1100S-BCR/oil leak-fill plug

hcmiller52

I just picked up an '03 Boxer Cup Replika on Friday with 12,099 miles and in gorgeous condition...not mint, but well-cared for. While putting 150 miles on it yesterday, I noticed oil leaking out of the filler plug; not much, but probably a teaspoon or so over the trip. When I saw it, I stopped, pulled the plug, cleaned the opening and turned the O-ring upside down and reinstalled the plug. No change.

Is this problem likely to be a sign of a need to replace the O-ring or is it a sign that there is too much pressure caused (perhaps) of a leaking head gasket or other malady? The dealer WILL make it right, either way.

Thank you,
Curt

Oil ring

Check the oil ring and the plastic cover for any hair line crack. Also check the plastic piece in the valve cover.

first two things i'd do is check the oil level, then check and make sure the fill hole itself isn't damaged or cracked. that o ring may also need replacement

nice to have another S in the berkshires!!! (although i've left western mass i'll prob still ride up there a lot):D

I just picked up an '03 Boxer Cup Replika on Friday with 12,099 miles and in gorgeous condition...not mint, but well-cared for. While putting 150 miles on it yesterday, I noticed oil leaking out of the filler plug; not much, but probably a teaspoon or so over the trip. When I saw it, I stopped, pulled the plug, cleaned the opening and turned the O-ring upside down and reinstalled the plug. No change.

Is this problem likely to be a sign of a need to replace the O-ring or is it a sign that there is too much pressure caused (perhaps) of a leaking head gasket or other malady? The dealer WILL make it right, either way.

Thank you,
Curt

Fairly routine problem. There are two O rings in that assembly. One between the cap and the plastic ring and another between the plastic ring and the metal valve cover. They both harden some. Sometimes folks replace the obvious one between the cap and the ring but not the other one.

Remove the cap. Carefully, slowly, pry the ring up out of the valve cover. A nice wide flat screwdriver works well. Try to catch the grit that has lodged above the O ring down in the recess and thoroughly wipe the recess in the valve cover dry.

Put a new O ring around the ring, align the little tab to the detent in the valve cover and press it straight down into place. A little grease on the O ring eases the process. Put a new O ring on the cap. Put cap back in place.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!!!

Now I know not to worry and will replace the worn parts on Tuesday when my dealer opens back up.

Thank you, Paul, for your detailed info on removel. I read your column in ON ever month for all the wisdom you generously share with us!

Curt

Resolution

My dealer (MAX) replace all four items, gratis, this morning. Thank you for your comments. They were spot on.

Curt

Back