• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My New to me R80/7

Did my best to clean up the exhaust. It's not rusted through so no reason to buy a new one at this time. I'll do a bit more polishing on the shiny parts.

Playing with the idea of painting the exhaust "two tone". Leave the nice back section polished and front black since it has a lot of surface rust I can't clean up.

image.jpg

My gas cap was pretty much on its last legs. I used three M4x6mm 0.70 set screws and made three tapped holes. The three screws allow me to adjust the gas cap so it closes centered each time.

The lock come apart in multiple pieces and was not working anyway so I might use this plug. I may find something a bit better to cover that empty space.

The parts came in yesterday. Got the chain on and happy that it doesn't have excessive slack. Marks lined up perfectly. Hopefully will button it up this week and tune it over the weekend.

You're moving very quickly with your project. How did you go about cleaning the pistons and valves?

Ray

You're moving very quickly with your project. How did you go about cleaning the pistons and valves?

Ray

I am actually about a month behind on this one. But I did end up doing a lot more then I anticipated. Valves got hot tanked and then sand blasted. The pistons got jet washed, then ultrasonic cleaner and a brass brush to finish them off.

Got the bike started yesterday and it ran "OK". Carbs are set to base setting. Timing was jumping around a bit and it was bucking when revved.

https://youtu.be/HpedqPFHi70

I needed to make a timing adjustment and then....

I will most likely be getting the Alpha Classic electronic ignition this Monday.

Other then the minor setback I am happy with the way this bike turned out. Was hoping to ride it this weekend but what can you do.

Last edited:
At the moment I have been just cleaning things and making a list of things that I need to make it run well. It has sat for about 2 years and I plan on fixing all the leaks that may come up. Once it get the initial maintenance parts done I will get it running and see how the compression is. If it is low I will throw some rings on it and redo the heads. One big thing is that one pushrod seal is torn and needs replacing. I am guessing the others are going to be leaky as well.
View attachment 52143
View attachment 52144
I wanted to clean the engine so that I can look for leaks and monitor the seals.
What have you been using to clean the bare aluminum? Looks good!

What have you been using to clean the bare aluminum? Looks good!
Thank you!

I am using a mix of brake clean, lectromotive cleaner, engine degreaser, ultrasonic cleaners and soap water. Then I do a quick scrub with brass/stainless brushes in some areas. It tough sometimes to clean as well as retain the patina/original finish. As always the longer you spend cleaning the happier you will be in the long run. I also like to start clean so I can see leaks and potential problems right away.

Waiting on the back ordered Alpha Classic ignition system. This is pretty painful.

In the mean time I got back to working on my gs550 cafe build. Buttoned up the motor. Frame work is next.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Been struck by a leaking bottom bolts on the forks. Already tried replacing the copper crush washers and tightening it to what felt like one million ft/lbs.

Got some help on this forum and was recommended to try the Hylomar sealant on the threads and crush washer. Most stores don't have it in stock and after three tries I got lucky at Autozone. I really hope this helps as I am not ok with forks leaking. I am going to let it sit for a day or two without filling it.

The Alpha Classic is due to ship out on Monday and I should get it just in time for the weekend.

Rick Jones promised and delivered. I really thought I would have to wait till next year with all the delays this kit had in the past.

Got it installed without problems and set the timing. Bike sounds great and runs smooth....in the garage for now. Ran out of time and didn't get a test ride in. Hopefully I'll have time this coming weekend to go for a ride and make a quick video.

Alpha

Bet you are going to like the ignition. I put one in my R90/6. I never was able to get the points set up timed perfectly. I could static time it and it would start great, but never could get it to advance dead center of the inspection hole. Set the alpha to full advance and it is still pretty close at idle. Starts and runs great now. Funny, I used to have an Omega, but now have an Alpha. Hope the beginning works better than the ending.

Bet you are going to like the ignition. I put one in my R90/6. I never was able to get the points set up timed perfectly. I could static time it and it would start great, but never could get it to advance dead center of the inspection hole. Set the alpha to full advance and it is still pretty close at idle. Starts and runs great now. Funny, I used to have an Omega, but now have an Alpha. Hope the beginning works better than the ending.

You were correct. I do love this ignition. Although I don't have anything to compare to, the bike feels smooth when accelerating.

Went for my first ride today. This was my first time riding since my riding course and it was a success. The bike is pretty easy to ride and I got comfortable on my 25 mile ride. Has a lot more power then I pictured it would. I think it is an excellent starter bike for me.

I was worried about the brakes not having enough power but they work pretty good at the speeds I rode, under 50mph. I will get more feel for them as I learn to ride better and faster.

Was a beautiful day with a break from the rain.

Short video to show the bike idling and a couple revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afCRhsPOyfU

Back