• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member from Rochester, NY

dwtshadow

Danny T
Hi All,

I just got on the forum, after purchasing my first BMW (2000 R1100-RT) around Halloween 2013. I have been riding for about 40 years and have owned too numerous bikes to list, but currently have a 2000 Aprilia Mille and V-Star1100 to go with my new acquisition. On a Motomarathon this past fall, I decided it was time to get the proper bike for the type of riding that enjoy doing. I just can't recover from multiple day rides on the wrong type of bike any more, so I found the RT. I got only 500 miles (just enough to find out how much I like the bike) on its saddle before I had to put it away for the winter. Unfortunately buying it so late in the season (at least late for upstate NY), this winter has seemed particularly long. I have also added a pic on me with the RT just before heading out on a windy, cool evening ride.

photo (1).jpg.

I am planning on attempting to do two Iron Butts in April on a solo ride down to Keller, TX to see my grandsons. The plan is to do the 1000 mile in 24 hours on the trip down and the 1500 mile in 26 hours on the trip back.

I look forward to interacting with all of you and to get some great information regarding BMW bikes. Talk to you all soon.

Congrats on the new ride. I also am new to BMW's. Bought my 09 r1200rt in Rochester in August 2013. Put about 1k on it before I had to park. It has been a long winter!

Welcome. Yes, this is the longest winter. Hope you are getting a couple days of warm-up as we are downstate. Then back to the cold again.

Cold as ...................

Hi All,

The weather is showing no signs of warming up any time soon. It did tease us over the weekend with a couple of 40 degree days, but it seems to be endless this year. If it wasn't for my winter passion of curling I am not sure I would be able to make it through the winter months. If I have to put up with the cold I might well do something I enjoy while waiting for the warmer weather.

A couple of us are getting together today to go over our plans for a 5 day run in June through the Blue Ridge Mountain area and the Tail of the Dragon. We found some new areas this morning while looking at Road Runner magazine that I just picked up off the newsstand shelf. (Yes, I still read non-electronic mags) Anyone out there been on these roads? No off-road for our touring bikes.

Hi All,

The weather is showing no signs of warming up any time soon. It did tease us over the weekend with a couple of 40 degree days, but it seems to be endless this year. If it wasn't for my winter passion of curling I am not sure I would be able to make it through the winter months. If I have to put up with the cold I might well do something I enjoy while waiting for the warmer weather.

A couple of us are getting together today to go over our plans for a 5 day run in June through the Blue Ridge Mountain area and the Tail of the Dragon. We found some new areas this morning while looking at Road Runner magazine that I just picked up off the newsstand shelf. (Yes, I still read non-electronic mags) Anyone out there been on these roads? No off-road for our touring bikes.

Welcome. Glad to have you here and thanks for the pic. Nice ride.

Ridden the Blue Ridge on more than one occasion.

During the summer there can be a lot of traffic. And since it is a Federal Park, the Feds can, and do, issue expensive tickets if you are prone to collecting performance awards. Speed limits are 45 MPH and 35 MPH Forewarned is forearmed.

Great views along the way. Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak in the east is worth a side trip. No services ON the parkway but they are close to many of the exits. With lower speeds your MPG will be higher.

Dragon: Don't go on weekend!

Sometimes the enforcement is very heavy due to the un-necessary deaths that happen due to speed and lack of basic riding skills.

Been there, done that, don't feel the need to do it again. But, I'm an old phart and enjoyed the long views from the Cherohala Skyway, National Scenic Byway ten times more than the Dragon.

Looking forward to a trip report, with photos, when you get back home.

Yup, if you really need to ride the GAP early on a weekday morning. Better yet, if you are going for the twisty stuff, and a spirited ride (higher then the 35 on the gap), go elsewhere, plenty of twistier roads in the area, with out the LEO and Circus clowns.

Spend some time on Google maps and you will find several small twisty roads, that will keep you occupied for weeks.

NOT the GAP, you can tell by the lack of traffic.

DSC_2386.jpg

Thanks for the info. My riding partners and I have been looking at Google Maps and looking at the many twisty roads to explore. We are going to hit the Dragon (to say we have done it) for at least one pass. We are staying at the resort at the bottom of the Dragon and have mapped out a couple of riding days on other roads in the area. After reading Road Runner Magazine, we are also going to hit the roads to Grandfather Mountain, the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads around Little Switzerland.

Thanks for the info. My riding partners and I have been looking at Google Maps and looking at the many twisty roads to explore. We are going to hit the Dragon (to say we have done it) for at least one pass. We are staying at the resort at the bottom of the Dragon and have mapped out a couple of riding days on other roads in the area. After reading Road Runner Magazine, we are also going to hit the roads to Grandfather Mountain, the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads around Little Switzerland.

The 226A near little Switzerland was not good last year, I think the state gave a blind man the job of applying tar sealant (tar snakes), road was plastered with the tar, and it made riding a bummer to say the least, and dangerous. Andf from Grandfather do NOT take the BRP N, take 221, much more entertaining between GFM and Blowing rock

Back