• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from NH

saltyrider

Good afternoon! I’m a new member from New Hampshire, I presently have a 2007 G650 X Country that I bought when I got back into motorcycles in 2019. I’m thinking of getting something a little more “grown up” that I can use to travel to the coast with (about 2 hours drive) with my wife as a passenger. I’m leaning towards a used 1200 RT but I’d entertain suggestions! Any advice on what I should be lookingfor would be great fully accepted!

Welcome from central Florida. We love our 07RT but replaced the stock seats with RDL (Russell Day Long) in order to do all day cruising. The stock seats were a pain in the butt after 2 hours. I have had 14 hours in the saddle with the RDL and no complaints. My wife loved the change and can do 8 hours with no problem. With the stock she had to dismount and rest some every 2 hours and would start squirming after about 1 hour.

Welcome from central Florida. We love our 07RT but replaced the stock seats with RDL (Russell Day Long) in order to do all day cruising. The stock seats were a pain in the butt after 2 hours. I have had 14 hours in the saddle with the RDL and no complaints. My wife loved the change and can do 8 hours with no problem. With the stock she had to dismount and rest some every 2 hours and would start squirming after about 1 hour.

I’m looking at an 07 on marketplace right now. It’s got 42k miles and looks reasonably clean in the pictures. The ad doesn’t mention any options but does say new rear shock and new tires. What else should I be asking about/ looking for if I go look at this bike?

I’m looking at an 07 on marketplace right now. It’s got 42k miles and looks reasonably clean in the pictures. The ad doesn’t mention any options but does say new rear shock and new tires. What else should I be asking about/ looking for if I go look at this bike?

The main problems on mine have been fuel pump (flange leak after the recall had been done so I had to pay for replacement) and the dreaded fuel strip (have had 5 replacements) which I provide a lot of detail about at this link. The OEM plastic fuel line quick disconnects also crack and leak and should be replaced with metal (see link below).

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...l-Strip-2007&p=1233828&viewfull=1#post1233828

Make sure all the recalls have been done. I remember another one concerned the rear brake flange cracking. Other than that mine has been solid. Bought in 2014 with 30k and now has 90k miles and taken us all over the US.

Welcome saltyrider! A slightly different take on the fuel strip issue is that the fuel strip can appear to be working (gauge shows full after a fill up) but you run out of fuel before gauge (and range) show empty. I know that there have been a few instances of plastic throttle body pulleys cracking. I believe the old adage to "buy as new an RT as you can afford" serves one well.

Whatever bike you end up with, please share pics.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
If it's not too much money you could look for a 2014 or newer R1200RT. This will get you into the model with liquid cooled heads.

Back