• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New K 1200 GT Color

Gt

Bangle should be hung...on a short rope... Stevie Wonder

I was expecting that my Bangle reference would flush out some comments. I read that he's been moved out of BMW car design to another position. I'm not aware that he did any work for Motor Rad, anyway.
It's been interesting for me to note the similarity in the responses in the BMW community to the recent BMW designs to those in the Ducati community to the recent Pierre Terblanche designs. One guy was so upset about the 999 that he even threatened to kill Terblanche's dog.

But Davey, you still haven't told us if you're going to show that new bike off at the Stomp. We'll even buy you a beer.

Rinty

Last edited:
rinty said:
I was expecting that my Bangle reference would flush out some comments. I read that he's been moved out of BMW car design to another position. I'm not aware that he did any work for Motor Rad, anyway.
It's been interesting for me to note the similarity in the responses in the BMW community to the recent BMW designs to those in the Ducati community to the recent Pierre Terblanche designs. One guy was so upset about the 999 that he even threatened to kill Terblanche's dog.

But Davey, you still haven't told us if you're going to show that new bike off at the Stomp. We'll even buy you a beer.

Rinty

If'n I can make it, I will.
Here's my two beauties.
I'm commited to them BOTH!!! :D

2beauties.jpg

She's got MUCH better lines than the bike !!! :D :heart

Lucky guy ... bike & babe !!! :dance

Last edited:
Gt

We'll buy both of you a beer. The GT will have to be satisfied with high octane.

Rinty

RTdavey said:
But I just bought my 2006 GT :heart

After more reading, I found that this is really what I want !!!!!
Problems, if there are any, will have to be worked thru.

Crystal grey, 6 mi. on the odo. and it's mine!

And you got the best color!

Congrats.

I've got almost 4500 on mine and leave for a 4000 mile trip this coming Friday. I love this motorcycle more every day. :brad

I have a 2006 Crystal Grey K1200GT and absolutely love it with the exception of the seat comfort. My test ride was horrible, but the demo was nothing compared to the bike I ended up buying.

I think it is a matter of the rider adjusting to the bike to some extent. I bought my GT on 14 June and have a bit over 3000 miles on it. The longest trip so far was 950 miles in about 15 hours (from Northern Virginia to upstate New York). Great performance! I also use it for commuting - it works just fine in heavy traffic. This weekend I put a bit over 1000 miles on the bike with a ride to Tennessee.

The seat though - it can be a torture device.

new GT

I just purchased a Crystal Grey GT and traded in my 2004 R1150RT (awesome bike!). The GT is gorgeous but does have some engine surge @ 2000 rpm. Also seat not very comfortable and tall BMW windshield stinks (probably go with Cee Bailey again). Cruise is really nice, as is ESA, and power out the wazoo!

Hope to have surge cured soon but there is no excuse for a $20K bike to do this.........

Gt

There were some injection mapping issues with the first K 1200 S's, but I read that BMW had dealt with it.

Rinty

Talk to your dealer, if your bike doesn't have the newest (near the end of August release) version 7.0 software, see if you can get it. There are many changes, but the big one in engine management addresses this and really smooths it out. I had mine upgraded prior to riding down to the CCR and it's awesome now.

GT redeems itself!

I now have 1900 miles on the GT having ridden from Green Bay, WI to MT. Wow, what a machine. Still plan to replace windshield and possibly the seat but, other than that, no complaints. Not yet broken in but making 40-43 mpg with fairly fast (80+ through ND) riding. Bike protects from rain almost as well as my '04 RT. Cruise control and ESA simply wonderful. Nick's BMW in DePere, WI is top notch.

krello said:
I just purchased a Crystal Grey GT and traded in my 2004 R1150RT (awesome bike!). The GT is gorgeous but does have some engine surge @ 2000 rpm. Also seat not very comfortable and tall BMW windshield stinks (probably go with Cee Bailey again). Cruise is really nice, as is ESA, and power out the wazoo!

Hope to have surge cured soon but there is no excuse for a $20K bike to do this.........

I just upgraded the BMSK to v7.0 on the S and they are much smoother. More linear and not so jerky. I like it. The feeling of raw power is sort of gone and in it's place is just smooth power. Also my BC now reads a proper range when I fill up and the gas gauge goes to the last bar when full.

cjack said:
I just upgraded the BMSK to v7.0 on the S and they are much smoother. More linear and not so jerky. I like it. The feeling of raw power is sort of gone and in it's place is just smooth power. Also my BC now reads a proper range when I fill up and the gas gauge goes to the last bar when full.
Thanks for the info, Jack. My dealer is 250 miles away, so I'll probably upgrade to version 7 next spring. I've got the Cee Bailey tall windscreen on order. Looking forward to using it - I really liked their windscreen on my R1150RT....Ride safe!

Back