• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Never replace a belt again?

Nice, IFF it works...
Cars' belts are longer, so they distribute stresses over a wider area.
Cars' belts wider than bikes' belts, at least what I've seen.
Car belts are exposed to lots of flowing air for cooling - ours are "mostly" enclosed, but do get some airflow.
Car belts have a free-rolling idler wheel to maintain tension, we just have a shoe.
Anybody want to put a team together for a Guinea pig test?

Most newer automotive belts are now EPDM which do not crack to show their age. You must use a belt gauge to know when they are worn out. Dayton and Gates used to give the gauges away.

I'm curious about this too, just sounds too easy of a solution but the comments below the video seem to verify the claim. A couple of people there also state that they are also using this on their windshield wipers and extended the lives of them multiple times. I am considering trying this myself.

I have been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for years on the rubber seals on vehicle doors and the like.
I’ve never considered using it on a belt. It leaves a very “slick” or smooth result.
:dunno

OM

I'm curious about this too, just sounds too easy of a solution but the comments below the video seem to verify the claim. A couple of people there also state that they are also using this on their windshield wipers and extended the lives of them multiple times. I am considering trying this myself.

Wipers tend to only last about a year on average... So, testing this on wipers would, at least, give faster results than on a belt.
It would still be a couple years worth of test... but better than a couple decades.

Omega Man nails it - if our alternator belt slips, the battery doesn't charge, ABS might not work, the bike won't start...

Except for one comment 3 weeks ago (at my viewing date) every other comment was 4 and 5 years old. :scratch

Wipers tend to only last about a year on average... So, testing this on wipers would, at least, give faster results than on a belt.
It would still be a couple years worth of test... but better than a couple decades.

I'm not sure it would last on wiper blades. When I used it on my boats vinyl & rubber I had to reapply it every time I washed it.

Omega Man nails it - if our alternator belt slips, the battery doesn't charge, ABS might not work, the bike won't start...

That must depend on the year, my ABS currently not working for a couple of months now, I am getting both lights flashing, my bike starts/runs fine (1994). I didn't know some bikes won't run with bad ABS unit. Must be something that was implemented in later models? I would just put a $6.50 bypass toggle switch on it. :D

Last edited:
Back