• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wkuen

I am in need of help. I have a "Garmin Motorrad Navigator V" and I want to find a software that will allow me to plan a trip on my computer and then download it to my Garmin. I was told that mapsource may be the way to go. Any info on that would be highly appreciated.

Also, is this the best way to post or shall I post on a different page?
Thank you

BaseCamp is a very powerful program that will allow you to do a ton of things. Unfortunately, for me, it seems to not be as intuitive as would be ideal. I've used it, done the videos, and read plenty on it but typically, have difficulty every-time I go back to try and use it and have been away from it for over a month or two.

For "quick-n-dirty" routing on your computer, you can also do your route in Google Maps, and then using ITN Converter, export it to a GPX file for your Garmin.
http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en

I don't think mapsource works with the Nav V. I tried it with mine and it doesn't see it.
If you want full integration, ie use curvy roads, road type and feature avoidance, you need to learn basecamp. It's not the most intuitive software...
Itnconverter (benichou software) is fine but limited and sometimes you get funny results.
I've heard good things of Turkot and also Tyre.

I use Furkot also. Much easier to change. I export to my computer as a Garmin file, then import to basecamp to send to Nav IV. BTW, when you export from Furkot, increase the "points per route" so as to show the path on the roads otherwise its as the crow flies between the points.

:hide

I use a map.

"Software" is in my head.

I have a tent & sleeping bag.

With an infallibel sic sense of direction

time permitting, I will get "lost" on purpose.

When I stop, I can get "updated" with local knowledge.

Most of the roads I want to travel, have been on maps for years.

Most of the the best rides were when diverted from my intended route.

It is why I ride. (Dirt & Pavement)

Bill

I like the new stuff, (got it/do not use it much on rides) it's just that I go back to when a compass, chronometer, sextant, & H.O.102 were used to find position.:gerg

Last edited:
A few Basecamp Tips

I've heard from so many how frustrating Basecamp can be. Here a few tips that work for me and make it less frustrating and more helpful.

1. The toughest thing in Basecamp is making it do the route that 'you want to go.' To do that you might need to enter in "shaping waypoints." Shaping waypoints are waypoints that are inserted just to force Basecamp to create the route you want to do. You can edit them to "don't alert on arrival." Obsessive compulsive folks won't like these because they add more 'dots' to the route, but after a while you'll forget about them and insert them a lot more. Sometimes I've had to enter many shaping waypoints very close together just to get my route to work. There is one town nearby but Garmin and Basecamp must have a dislike for it. No matter what I do it will not let me route through this town. Instead it will route me way around it. I was forced to enter about 10 waypoints almost one right next to another to get it to route me through this town. Garmin just doesn't like it.
2. I've also found that I do not use Basecamp's start and finish feature to plan a route for me. Rather I work my way adding waypoints - both real waypoints and shaping waypoints until I hit my destination.
3. Too keep from having waypoints from being a "point-of-interest" versus an intersection, zoom in and mark your point. If you are zoomed out and mark a waypoint it often attaches it to a business or some other point of interest that you are not interested in.
4. Another issue when you are 'zoomed out' is that sometimes your waypoint is set on the opposite side of the street causing Basecamp to make a long distance detour. Again, zoom in to mark your waypoint.
5. Adding waypoints to your route - appending a segment to your route. Add a point of interest to the list (not the map) after your last waypoint. You may have to use the mouse and drag the appended section to go the way you want. Start with short distances instead of half-way or greater. Basecamp will insert "shaping waypoints" into your route.
6. Make sure your GPS unit and Basecamp are configured similarly for trip preferences (shortest distance, fastest route, etc.) and avoidances. If you GPS is configured to avoid Interstates but Basecamp isn't, as soon as you download your route it will be converted and re-routed.
7. If it is off-road or gravel, use another tool. The map set for Basecamp is limited.
8. Upgrade your maps and Basecamp software as needed with the Garmin updater tool.
9. If Basecamp starts routing you through "weird way out of the way routes" no matter what you do, just quit the application and re-start it to reset it's internal logic.

I've tried Furkot, Google Maps and many others. They all work similarly for me. Basecamp works the best with my Garmin Nav IV.

BaseCamp is a very powerful program that will allow you to do a ton of things. Unfortunately, for me, it seems to not be as intuitive as would be ideal. I've used it, done the videos, and read plenty on it but typically, have difficulty every-time I go back to try and use it and have been away from it for over a month or two.

For "quick-n-dirty" routing on your computer, you can also do your route in Google Maps, and then using ITN Converter, export it to a GPX file for your Garmin.
http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en

Thank you

nakwakto00

EXCELLENT presentation; thank you!

You would think that someone would have produced a product by now that would really work well for planning motorcycle trips of various flavors. I use a 15 year old program on my laptop that is great for planning car or bike travel with ease. I generate hard copy of route details to use along the way. Google Maps works quite well on my mobile for simple Point A to Point B routes with excellent blue tooth earpiece directions. Not so good for an extended route with desired waypoints included (on the mobile app; though the rumor is that capability is being added 'soon').

One of our lives' minor annoyances :)

Wkuen, I've been working base camp a while now. It is counterintuitive but if you run into obstacles pm me and I'll do what I can to help. I'm kind of a geek. Not Norwood level of geekiness but I have aspirations.
reece

Basecamp for sure

I tried Basecamp several times over several years and always went back to Mapsource. Eventually, I decided to leave my comfort zone and learn Basecamp.

On the whole, I am glad I did.

I don't like everything about it, but if you are using a Nav V, this is the way to go. As usual, there are many settings, not all well defined, but try it out on known favourite routes and some of the mystery will disappear.

You need to do a lot of local routes to learn the quirks before doing an important trip.

There is a sticky at the top of the Gear forum which is a simply terrific place to start. It will lead you through a strategy for good use.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74203-Learn-Garmin-BaseCamp-Tutorial-Videos

Strategy is key to best use of complex software, and virtually unfindable anywhere! This set of threads is a true gift. It will take time, but just do the investment. You will be thrilled you did.

:hide

I use a map.

"Software" is in my head.

I have a tent & sleeping bag.

With an infallibel sic sense of direction

time permitting, I will get "lost" on purpose.

When I stop, I can get "updated" with local knowledge.

Most of the roads I want to travel, have been on maps for years.

Most of the the best rides were when diverted from my intended route.

It is why I ride. (Dirt & Pavement)

Bill

I like the new stuff, (got it/do not use it much on rides) it's just that I go back to when a compass, chronometer, sextant, & H.O.102 were used to find position.:gerg
Someone asks for help with software and there's always that one guy who has to tell us why he continues to use paper. :scratch

Someone asks for help with software and there's always that one guy who has to tell us why he continues to use paper. :scratch

Ya but its "soft" paper! It has other uses too, like when your out in the wilds and you've got to go...well you know.

Ya but its "soft" paper! It has other uses too, like when your out in the wilds and you've got to go...well you know.

The new maps are made of paper thats soft, butt it's not very absorbent!

Thats why I doo "downloads" before I hit the road.

Bungalow Bill

Last edited:
Back