• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI & sound through bike speakers - 2019RT

jokox99

jokox99
Hi,
I recently bought a 2nd hand 2019 1250RT with 5,000 Km's on it. It came with the Navigator VI.
When I first rode it, I was getting the turn by turn directions via the speakers on the bike.
This was lucky because I had a 6 hour ride home from the town where I bought it.

Since then, I've been working my way through the BMW Audio manual and the Navigator manual and I can't work out how the get the Navigator's turn by turn directions to come through the bike's speakers ..

I'm know it does because it worked when I rode it home. On the way home, I was keeping things very simple ... go & stop.
Compared to my most recent BMW (K100RT 1983), this one has way more dodad's.
I did get the cruise control to work ...ahh bliss ! About 4 hours of the 6 hours trip was on freeway, so not having to constantly monitor my speed was really helpful.

The BMW Audio manual talks about the various input modes for the bike (radio/USB/AUX) but doesn't mention the Navigator.
The BMW Navigator manual talks about setting up the Garmin etc and turning up the volume control but doesn't say how it integrates into the bike's sound system.

So far, I've tried it with the sound system on & set to AUX with no device attached and sound system off... but no luck.
Have checked that the navigator wasn't muted and that the volume on it was set to a high level ..

A few corollary questions ..

a. can I have another sound input (radio/aux/usb) operating at the same time as the Navigator is sounding directions ?
b. when the Navigator wants to sound a direction, is the other 'source' muted or is there a control to determine which is louder / takes precedence ?
c. Are there any known conflicts / issues with the sound sources on the bike and using the Garmin ?

FYI, I prefer to have the sound coming through the speakers rather than through a set of bluetooth ear buds.
I just find when putting my helmet on / off the ear buds tend to get dislodged.

Have also been reading about the issues with the Navigator VI and how quickly they seem to fail again after being replaced due to screen issues.
If this happens, and Garmin Australia don't want to play nicely and replace the unit, I'd like to keep a GPS unit in the same location.
Any suggestions ?

thanks

regards,

John

Have you tried the settings in the Navigation VI itself? There is a setting for muting the Nav VI.

Last edited:
RTs are problematic

My riding buddy has a '15 RT and had never got the audio volume to work correctly (for long.) We use Packtalk Bold communicators. He claims the volume on his RT--either the satellite radio or the GPS is way too loud. He never seems to get them the way he would like them, so usually chooses one or the other, and turns off the one he is not using. He's going to get a new RT soon, though, and will have something new to learn.

Maybe you could try cleaning the contacts with some rubbing alcohol. (?)

Hi,
thanks for the thought. :)

I'm 99.9% sure it's not dirty contacts. I'm getting power to the device & it's talking to the bike ok e.g displaying bike technical info so the actual 'interface' seems to be ok & working.

regards,

John

Back