• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI ghosting issue

erkj79

John Erkan
I got the following message from Garmin today:

Not sure if this is the ultimate fix or just another bandaid...

You requested to be contacted about the revised version of the BMW Motorrad Navigator VI. We are setting up exchange orders and require additional information to replace your current Navigator VI with a revised version.

Please complete the following survey. Survey Link

After completion you will receive an email within 7 to 14 business days with exchange details.

Thank you!

Maybe. Or, it could be…

IMG_0375.jpeg

Will that be the cap screen version? Lots of us are waiting with bated breath hoping the cap screen will solve the ghosting issue. I’ve read that the new screen will require “touch gloves”, which is a small price to pay for resolution of the ghosting problem. Fingers crossed, and please keep us updated!

Best,
DeVern

Will that be the cap screen version? Lots of us are waiting with bated breath hoping the cap screen will solve the ghosting issue. I’ve read that the new screen will require “touch gloves”, which is a small price to pay for resolution of the ghosting problem. Fingers crossed, and please keep us updated!

Best,
DeVern
What can you tell me about the "cap screen version?" I got my latest version a month or so ago, and I haven't gotten used to the touchscreen yet. It seems to let you "press" a button by just hovering with your finger over it, without you actually touching it. If you do touch the screen, it seems to activate a different button than what you intended.

-Chris

What can you tell me about the "cap screen version?" I got my latest version a month or so ago, and I haven't gotten used to the touchscreen yet. It seems to let you "press" a button by just hovering with your finger over it, without you actually touching it. If you do touch the screen, it seems to activate a different button than what you intended.

-Chris
I've had my fixed v9 Nav6 for about a month too. The screen seems to respond for me just like the XT and XT2. The XT2 has become my primary work horse, as i couldn't count on the prior Nav6's working when needed. All work fine for me with gloves. In the house, I'll use bare fingers. I have not had situations of wrong button presses. This v9 Nav6 appears to be good and I'm confident the problems are over.

I'm wondering if anyone can illuminate what is new about the "permanently fixed," new VI. The ghosting issue seems to be gone, but the touch screen definitely behaves differently. My initial few uses were a little troublesome when using the touch screen.

I'm wondering if anyone can illuminate what is new about the "permanently fixed," new VI. The ghosting issue seems to be gone, but the touch screen definitely behaves differently. My initial few uses were a little troublesome when using the touch screen.

They switched the touchscreen from pressure based to capacitive discharge based.

For anyone considering the new, latest Garmin replacement for the BMW Nav VI with a CAP Screen, I was skeptical myself. But research on the CAP screen gave me confidence before I decided to try it. The exchange process was flawless and from start to finish and only took less than two weeks. The new CAP screen version works extremely well, if you have gloves on. Without gloves, using a naked finger, it's a bit too sensitive for my liking and doesn't work as well as using it with gloves. But with gloves on it's great. Well worth waiting for rather than spending more money by buying another replacement (Zumo XT).

Hard to say without looking side x side. The screen quality is very good, comparable to the original, minus the ghosting. I wondered if perhaps the display was smaller, but I doubt it. I'm happy so far.

Does the new one look exactly like the old unit?
Is the start up screen different?
The new v9 screen is physically dead flat where as the prior Nav6 screens were ever so slight sunken around the perimeter and a slight bulge on the left side of the screen. The v9's have the updated black background firmware that Garmin was using for the prior year or two. So, if you were like most and had to swap the Nav6 out at least once a year, you will see little to no difference. For the rare sort who has managed to keep a Nav6 going for multiple years, yes you will see a difference due to the change in firmware.

Last edited:
I saw on ADV someone had a new Nav VI replacement they received in Jan this year. The seller did not know if it's was the latest replacement with the Cap screen.
As these replacement units come up for sale I was curious how to tell a Cap screen unit from the previous unit by looking at the pictures.

I saw on ADV someone had a new Nav VI replacement they received in Jan this year. The seller did not know if it's was the latest replacement with the Cap screen.
As these replacement units come up for sale I was curious how to tell a Cap screen unit from the previous unit by looking at the pictures.
In the Help/About screen, the new fixed units have "V9" in the hardware version. And as I mentioned in my prior response, the dead flat screen is also a give away. But so long as you are in NA, what's it matter if you aquire an pre-v9 version? Simply call Garmin support, and have the pre-v9 unit swapped out.

Last edited:
Reactions: lee
Back