• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My POA Tour Route

Russ, had a blast up there. I pushed through late last night and got in about 4am ater nearly doing a reversal of my route up.

Stay safe, and I hope you hit the outside edge of it as fast as I did!

Statdawg said:
Thanks for camping with us,had a great time. Sorry it went so fast. Thanks for bringing Garth's father and friends with you. I will never forget the moument's.Be safe. :usa

Yet another safe return.. glad we got to meet up, Statdawg! I went back down 88 there and had a better look around the detour this time :=) Nice little place!

I arrived home last night after a very wet and cold ride. Trip total 8,227 miles with approximately 400 miles on dirt/gravel roads and 95 miles on ATV trails. Nice ride, my thanks to the three clubs hosting the events.

Motard

Motard said:
I arrived home last night after a very wet and cold ride. Trip total 8,227 miles with approximately 400 miles on dirt/gravel roads and 95 miles on ATV trails. Nice ride, my thanks to the three clubs hosting the events.

Motard

Yet another safe arrival! How's the fuel system?

Belg said:
Yet another safe arrival! How's the fuel system?

Finally repaired. A new filter and complete flushing of the system was the answer. Considering the amount of water and dirt which I removed, it is a wonder that the engine ran.

Motard

Western Suburbs of Iowa City, IA

Long a$$ day, I'm motelling it in Williamsburg, IA. A tad bit over 850 miles of mostly slab (and getting around Chicago what a PITA that is). Rained once hard enough to get on the liners near Cleveland. Been nice the rest of the day.

Last night I was riding with the electrics plugged in and turned on; wet, warm, and comfy... :laugh

Glad you other's are home safe and [on another thread] I am glad to have done the POA, wasn't around for the 'recognition' ceremony so didn't miss anything, hehehe... Got my "PIN" and the T-Shirt

I have had a great time and it will only be better once I get back home and sit my ÔÇ£Hot TubÔÇØ for an hour.

But that is still a few days away :cry

Russ

A bit of catch up (I'm on my computer)

I said I had quite a story to tell. Some of you have heard it in the flesh and other werenÔÇÖt lucky enough to be at the rally.

Some of you knew that I was going to go by Garth's (aka "YB in IN") grave and pay my respects on this trip. Well I did do that, and I left him a Peaks of America Tour T-Shirt from all of us.

Now the interesting parts of the story:

I got in very late the night before and got a room in Marion (only seven miles from La Fountain) I had called a few numbers in the Anon but struck out on finding Bill {whom I was calling Ben} anyway I wasn't there to impose, just passing through

I rode into town the next morning around eleven AM and based on the size of the town [Pop. 800] I figured I could track down all the investigative leads I needed to at the corner Stop and Rob (Gas/Mart).

Gas station/shop person "Omitted" answers all my questions about where to go. I walk back outside to my bike. As I'm getting my helmet back on at the bike she comes out and says "You know, his grandparents live just at the end of these houses, the last one on the right, you should go say hello since you are here".

I did, I pulled into the driveway and stopped, and waited for Mr. Epply (SR) to stop mowing the weeds and I had seen Mrs. Epply (SR) working in the back. I waited until I was noticed and then greeting were exchanged and I introduced myself and why I was there.

Long story short: I got fed lunch, had some ice-tea and we were talking about lots of stuff. (Apparently their other son and I have the same military background and retired about the same time). We might even know each other or crossed paths somewhere along the way?

Then Mom (grandma), calls Bill (aka "BE in IN") and says there is a fellow here from Washington state that wants to see where Garth is and that he's riding his motorcycle from Washington to Vermont.

I talk with Bill and he tells me this story about how he was all ready to go to the rally but about two hours ago his buddy had to cancel on the count of a leaky roof. Bill was very distraught and started to feel depressed about not going, he wasn't up for doing it alone and just succumbed to not going...

I said, well, I'm here and I'm going to Vermont, are you still packed? About how long do you need to get ready? (Omit some stuff for length)... I can wait all day for you

Bill says a few more things and we have a plan (omit some more stuff for length).

Next thing I know I'm getting fed lunch and bill says, "I'll just come down there, we're leaving from there anyways and I would like to show you where Garth is... I need to stop by there myself before going

Done...

Bill shows up about 40-min later we rode over to the cemetery and paid respects had a few manly hugs and wiped away some tears and then in good old fashion, we hit the road with Bill leading the way to the rally...

(Insert: for the second time on this trip, I filled my GS to the brim with gas and parked it in the hot sun. Not good, it fills the ÔÇÿCharcoal Canister with raw gas and the bike just does not want to run below about 3,000 rpm for a while. But I managed to get over to the cemetery and park under a shade tree, then we hauled butt for the first fifty miles).

Was it a "Miracle", "Devine Intervention" or just "fate"? I don't know, but Bill got to the rally and met some people that mean a lot to him.

As it turned out his friend ÔÇ£CarlÔÇØ was able to fix the roof that day and leave for the rally later in the day. We were there to help get him into the camp area and set up in the middle of the night. At least he was going fast when he hit the skunk because we could only take his word for it, Carl smelt fine...

Well, thatÔÇÖs it...

Glad I happen'd along at the right place (almost nowhere), at the right time (close enough to being on time), and heading the right direction (Vermont where else)?

Doc

Bill, I am so pleased to meet you and your parents. Tell them thanks for me next time you see them...

Garth Epply (YB in IN) Rest In Peace, you are not forgotten!!!

Russ :wave

Pinned down in Williamsburg

I awoke to boom, boom and other unwelcome sounds. Looked out the window and it was raining, not just a little, a lot.

High western winds, blowing rain, and lightning. I'm staying put until 11:00 AM check-out.

Watching the Weather Channel and waiting... The bad cell is right over head; I could go west as fast as north or south to get out from under it...

Pinned down in Iowa for awhile... :violin

PS. I'm not a wuss (well maybe) it's not the rain, it is the "LIGHTNING" that has me sitting here in my nice dry room...

Motard said:
Finally repaired. A new filter and complete flushing of the system was the answer. Considering the amount of water and dirt which I removed, it is a wonder that the engine ran.

Motard

I've been real busy since I left the rally site early Saturday AM. (Wife's birthday; work Monday was a bear)

I just wanted to jump into this conversation to say what a pleasure it was to meet Belg, SFDOC, Motard, and several others.

(Hey Motard... you were right; Disco's Viatcheslav Ekimov is 40 years old!)

My piddly 300-mile trip home on Saturday reminded me, on occasion, of riding straight at a firehose.

SFDOC said:
I said I had quite a story to tell. Some of you have heard it in the flesh and other werenÔÇÖt lucky enough to be at the rally.

Garth Epply (YB in IN) Rest In Peace, you are not forgotten!!!

Russ :wave

Well Russ, you tell the story better then I can. I am truely glad you stopped at mom & dads' place. They are amazed that people who only knew Garth from the forums he was on, were so affected by his death. :cry

In retrospect I am happy I went to the rally. I was able to put some faces with names (you know who you are) :) and met up with folks that Garth and I both know from past rallys. Heard a lot of stories, and had a lot of hugs, and condolences from forum regulars, rounders, and YBs. All and all it was good therapy for the state of mind I was in. I am looking forward to next year and have convinced Laura to go. Now I gotta find a nice hotel. She is not a camper. Her idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn without a hot tub! :dunno

Anyway for those of you who want to continue remembering Garth. :deal There is a new "internet" club sanctioned by the BMWMOA. Here is a link:

www.fogriders.org

It has just opened this past weekend and I have not been home to post much on it yet. So everyone, have a look and feel free to post at will and I will add content as I am able.

Russ I don't mean to hijack your thread! Sorry!

My favorite moment of the Rally was sitting at a dinner with SFDoc when my cell phone rings and it is Bill on the other side saying he has arrived. What a great day.

Sorry I missed you, Bill. I saw Russ on Thursday night at the ON contributors' dinner and he told me the story. I think Tina and I were almost in tears, we were so happy to hear you'd come on out.

We'll be looking for you guys in WI next summer and I'd love to share a brew with you.

Dave

SFDOC said:
Well, got south of Buffalo last night with Gene Merritt.

Russ, thanks for the company and the beers! I broke my clutch cable in Hammond, IN, got it fixed "Anonymously" and spent the night in Moline, IL...so you made it further than I did on Sunday.

Bill, it was great to see you again, and *now* I understand why you introduced me to Russ on Thursday. I didn't get the connection at the time because I didn't know the story, but once Russ told me of the letter, it all made sense.

SFDOC said:
Passed or was passed by a dozen riders along the way south and west.
I passed you a couple of times myself, but we managed to get hooked up eventually. :)

Short Progress Report

Visited some relatives in Norfolk, NE last night. Departed late this AM.

Was following Hwy 275/20 NW but ran into lots of De-contruction so I took a right turn on Hwy 281 in Oneill, NE. That hooked me up Hwy 18 West and then Hwy 44 West. Hwy 44 west "ROCKS". Went through the "Bad Lands" and into Rapid City. Then took a wrong turn and went to Mount Rushmore and Custer. (Wrong turn becuase I should have stayed on course and followed Hwy 212 West. Then I wouldn't be where I am now). Continued west on various two-lane roads (Hwy 16) until getting to I-90. Was doing fine on I-90 West until I kept reading the signs for Grand Teton's and Yellowstone NP.

So, I'm sitting in Greybull, WY by way of a hell of good "Some times SCAARY" ride over hwy 14 West from Sheridan. Why was it "SCARY" becuase I did in total blackness. Almost hit a cow, saw a couple hundred hoved field rats (deer) and had to play pass the A$$hat up a twisty hill. (Everytime we were at a striaght passing zone, MR A$$ would punch it and I no desire to run wide open to get around, when I did finally do it, I rounded the bend and there was a herd of cows on the road. EEK :eek (EDIT: I should clarify; I stopped from 50-mph or so to about five and swerved around the black cow. The deer were no problem; they either stood there looking at me, did nothing, or walked away slowly from the edge of the road. I was going no faster than maybe 60 sometimes but would slow to around 45 when I saw them and sometimes even slower if they looked spooky)

Well the saving grace and what did make the trip safer and easier was being able to run the Xenon (HID) lights almost the whole way.

I had the road to myself with the exception of about seven cars going in the opposite direction. Turn off the lights and slow to about 40-mph. Otherwise I was having a blast in 20-35 mph twisties. :thumb

Hwy 14 from Dayton to Greybull is a really nice MC road, I just have no idea what the view was except for the daylight conditions in front of me...

Tomorrow, "Yellowstone" then home on Thursday...

Doc

EDIT: Good morning all, time to go home... :)

Last edited:
Reporting from Home Base

I'm home, rolled in about 17:30 local PDT.

More later, I'm getting caught up with more important stuff right now. And just happy to be off the bike for a few days.

I found out something very special two days ago, and will wait for confirmation before letting out the word.

Nine Thousand One Hundred Forty Three sMiles along the way...

Exausted I'm not, tired a bit, ready to keep going I am...

Broke? You bet...

Doc
Looking forward to getting the Ride Report done with all the pictures I took...

did all the people in your home town meet you at the border and stand up and applause as you rolled in?

:D

I've been working on the Ride Report pictures all morning. It's a PITA to down load 750 pictures with a Satellite connection, better than dial-up but still slow. I may need to find a T1 line to finish this process... :banghead

Haven't even started with verbage... ;)

Doc

Back