• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My POA Tour Route

No Changes, still in St. George

Man is it hot. 110d HOT, but you know what they say? It's a different kind of hot. Yeah, it's only hot when you're going slower than 60. Hehehe

Held back solo this morning. The other two are on a tighter schedule. Shipped some stuff home, that I won't be needing.

Took a ride ride out to Zion NP. and video taped the ride up. Must get helmet-cam. Shot stills on the way back down.

Rode out to Grafton as per instructed; neat. Got lost (on purpose) and took a seven mile dirt road back over the mountains to civilization. Yeah, Utah "Big Trailie Ride", it was fun, and had great views of Zion.

Someday I'll get to the internet and attach some pictues.

And, Oh yeah, I ran into John Brase at the park entrance; he was just getting there and I was just leaving.

Back at the motel, did I mention that it's HOT...

Doc

Leaving Torrey, UT

Gooooood Morning Utah,,,,

I had a great day yesterday, I was going to get up at 05:00 but the folks in the room over me decided to get up at 04:15. But I'm glad they did, I got some great morning pictures of Zion NP on my way through.

Rode out Hwy 9 until getting on Hwy 12 (What a great road this is). Rode through Bryce NP to the ends of each of roads and snapped up lots of pictures.

After getting to Escalante, I was getting gas when, after passing a sign that read [Hell's Backbone], I asked some local guys what the road was like and how far. They said pavement for a while then dirt/gravel. They looked at the 'Pig' and said you should go, you'll have a great time and it's worth seeing. I had said 25-miles up into the mountains and back, I have enough gas so I'd better wait until I return to fill up before going to Boulder. Then they said "Come Back, why, you can keep going and you will come out just south of Boulder. Well, that was that, a full tank of gas and heading out into nowhere.

So I'm haulin' butt up this very nice dirt/gravel road, probably faster than I should be going on a 950lb bike, when a deer jumps out onto the road and starts running parallel down the side for only a second. Big sharp left-turn ahead, but when I hit the brakes I started going straight, straight for the edge of the road. Swap right, swap left, ÔÇ£OH-SHEETÔÇØ swap right again, come to an ÔÇ£ALMOSTÔÇØ stop, and promptly fell over. CanÔÇÖt believe I didnÔÇÖt take a picture of the ÔÇÿPigÔÇÖ laying on its side, to busy picking it up, with a full tank of gas and all my stuff. Sorry, Skerts method just wasnÔÇÖt getting it; my feet kept digging big holes in the soft dirt on the shoulder. Turned around, pulled the handle bar into the tank grabbed the front brake lever and picked it up (Dead Lift). Once back on the side stand I took a break and took pictures. I saw one more deer run across the road later but there was less urgency and more room. Deer whistles do not work below 35-mph, if they work above that well, the jury is still out.

Anyway, this isnt the Ride Report, you will have to wait longer for that

Got to Torrey, UT just after catching up to the thunderstorms and got a room, dinner and a few drinks. I was beat, 12-hours of riding 300-miles and promptly fell asleep.

IÔÇÖll be in Colorado tonight, maybe even Paonia.

And, I know what the oil on my rear shock was from last month when I noticed it. ItÔÇÖs the ÔÇ£Pre-Load AdjusterÔÇØ its shot. The shock works fine; IÔÇÖm just a little low in the backend, low enough to drag the Jesse bags through a few tight corners.

Doc

PS. Ive run across seven riders going to Vermont, five are riding the POA. Im sure Ill see more along the way

Paonia, CO

I'm in Paonia, major stop number 2.

It sure is nice to get out of the desert but, mang does Utah have some nice MC roads.

So does Southwest Colorado, and I'm just getting started.

Do deer whistles work, I don't know, but I didn't run into any of 20-25 I saw tonight, they all stood there until I was about 200-100 feet away, then walked or ran away from me.

Well, looking forward to a couple days here then on the road again.

Doc

I sure picked some nice roads for getting here.

Poa

I'm envious of this trip.

Day 16 - No need to take Rt 5 Canastota to Utica. Stay on I-90. As a matter of fact, NY365 from Rome to NY12 is a shorter route and a nice ride, as well. You'll come down into Barneveld and if it's lunch time, Sweet Basil (next to Deuces Wild Tavern) at the 4 corners is a great lunch/breakfast stop. Either way gives you a great entrance to the foothills of the Adirondacks. Pretty good roads, too. Rt5, while a good road, is a waste on this trip, plenty of stop and go traffic.

Thanks for the tips, Bill.

It's a very nice day Paonia. looking forward to some great riding.

Doc

Lands End

Still in Paonia, still having a great time. The Colorado Beemers put on a pretty great rally. Lot's of people here, lot's of bikes.

Today Motard and I went out dual-sportin', of a 234-mile day trip; about 100-miles or thereabout were on dirt/gravel roads going up and over the "Grand Mesa" to 'Lands End' and all points connecting.

Just another great day.

Doc

Now, the band is playing "Sweet Home Alabama"

Statdawg

Yeah, Motard has explained that many times over to lots of people about the gas situation. I got some too once, but I was able to run it through the tank in an almost wide open desert run, then get some new gas.

The shock is fine, it's the pre-load adjuster piston on top of the spring that no longer works, so the bike rides a bit low when packed. No problems though I'll get through the trip as is if I can't get it fixed in Vermont.

Thanks for asking. Myrle is leaving for home in the morning.

Doc

Crested Butte, CO

Another day, another ride. Today, Motard, a guy we met (John) at the rally from Denver and myself rode out Hwy 92 to Gunnison. Where Motard headed for home and John and I headed over "Ohio Pass" and down to Crested Butte. After riding through town we turned around and went over "Keebler Pass", both are over 10,000 feet.

Another 200+ miles another 80+ miles of dirt roads.

I'm becoming "ONE" with the GS on Fire/Improved dirt roads.

I guess since I'm drinking beer right now, I'll be leaving in the morning...

Doc

Near Higginsville, MO

Hey everone, I'm still plugin' along. Everything is fine, just got away from civilization for a couple of days. Absolute "Reader's Digest" version:

Sunday, left the Colorado Beemer's Rally in the AM and rode through Aspen and over Independance Pass. Got a driver's award near Twin Lakes (It says I was passing in a "No Passing Zone", I beg to differ but do not argue with the law. It was much better than the 75 in 55 that he could have attached to the first infraction, oh well. I promise you the lines were broken when I started... :D

Did the "Gold Rush" loop down and around Hwy 67 to Victor and Cripple Creek, very cool to go back after 20-years, things have changed...

Drove the bike up to Pikes Peak (14,121 feet) ye ha... :D

Spent the night with friends out side of Colorado Springs (limited cell, no internet)

Got up this morning and headed east into the furnace... All the way across Kansas, it was 105 climbing to 112 degrees, I am "well done" right now. The air temperature behind the oil cooler was a scorching 122 degrees. I had to stop more for me to drink water and submerge my cool-vest than to buy gas...

Got dark, got a room, got a drink, got off the road before killing "Bambi"... :drink

Tomorrow, I'm going by the MOA HQ's and then on to La Fountain, IN. Should be there about 8:00 PM depending on how long I am at the Headquarter's for our beloved organization...

Well, on time, on schedule see you all Thursday... :D

Doc

Hot !! Hot !! Hot !!

I'm in Maryland for the night. The trip from Denver to St Louis was brutal. The temp. wavered between 108-110-112 all the way. Leaving St Louis, I swung South through Kentucky and West Virginia. Good choice, 95 degrees actually felt cool (only for a little while) and the roads and scenery were beautiful. The downside was rush hour Baltimore traffic coming at the end of a 650 mile day.
I just spoke with SFDoc. We agreed that never had the prospect of rain seemed so appealing.

Motard

Doc -- It's raining !!!

It's raining in Maryland, a thunder shower just passed through. Tomorrow it's off to Lake George and I hope, lower ambient temps.

Motard

Marion, IN

Not much to speak of today, just a long day in the saddle. I'm in Marion, Indiana.

Right after I spoke with Motard on the phone I finished dinner and got on the road north, got maybe 20-miles and rode right into a torential down pour myself. with small bits of hail thrown in for good measure. Got off the road becuase of lightening overhead and found a dry gas station cover while it passed over. (I had heard of a severe weather warning for the greater Indianaplois area while eating, it was true)

And, oh yeah, I stopped by the MOA HQ's and took some pictures. Mary said everyone was gone to some rally in Vermont, the nerve of our hired staff gone off having fun...

Saw some more deer tonight on Hwy 37 N in IN. They just run away from me, that's my experience... But, it sure nice to SEE them with the Xenon lights blazing a trail through the night.

Doc

Wow

Talk about sleeping in. I lost another hour on this trip. I thought I was getting a pretty regular start to the day and now it turns out I'm getting ready to leave Marion at 11:00 AM. (No wonder everything was closed up last night and there were so few cars on the road).

Andy, I'm somewhere around 4,500 miles so far on the trip.

Well, I'd better get crackin' times a wastin'... :wave

Erie, PA

Last night before the destination, I'm (we're) in Erie, PA. I'm riding with BE in IN. Long nice story but there will be time around the camp fire.

See you tomorrow in Vermont...

Doc

Essex Junction, VT

I've made it. For those of you following this thread; I've made to the rally. 5,400 miles of fun. I still have over 3,500 miles to get home again but, that will be less interesting I'm sure.

I'll post more later about the last two day's, quite a story to tell, I'll tell ya'

Good night Vermont

Doc

Great to meet you in the RW

Russ - sorry for my dumbfounded look when we met in person last night. I got a ways to go with this whole forum handle/real name thing.

Please get thee over to the Cyber Cafe and upload a few pics! :D

Ian

Just an on the road update

I'm sorry I missed some goodbye's, it was great to meet so many of you. The weather hurried my decision to leave.

Long way to go...

Well, got south of Buffalo last night with Gene Merrit, (aka GeneMerrit) wet most of the way. Passed or was passed by a dozen riders along the way south and west.

Got started at around 9:00 and I currently eating Southside Chicago "Sicillian Style" pizza in Frankfort, Illinois.

I don't know how much farther west I'll get tonight but I'm punching through as far as I can everyday.

Had fun, but all things must go on, and on, and on...

Doc

Back