• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My new Baby. 92 R100RS

Tire pressures? Steering stem bearings loose? Is the wheel true...balanced?

Yes balanced and I think true. It's hard braking only feels like the rear is on ice for a moment then she settled down. All spin fine with zero issues up to around 90mph which is about my limit on a 20+ year old bike that I have not been through. Tires are new lazer techs. Um..havent looked at pressures yet

Too bad they didn't design in a rear disc on the mono version.

The late Gordon Jennings was a big fan of rear drum brakes, as long as they were well set up. IIRC (the column was many years ago) he wrote that the back wheel picks up a lot of crud from the front one, so a sealed brake is a better application for this, and you don't want too much braking force back there, in any event.

She was over 5 in fact....JGREGOR1

I sold my '82, with 75,000 miles on the clock, for $4,500. It was a bit rough cosmetically, but had about $10,000 of mods and improvements into it.

DSCN0087-XL.jpg

When the right Airhead comes along, I think you need to jump on it.

The late Gordon Jennings was a big fan of rear drum brakes, as long as they were well set up. IIRC (the column was many years ago) he wrote that the back wheel picks up a lot of crud from the front one, so a sealed brake is a better application for this, and you don't want too much braking force back there, in any event.

I sold my '82, with 75,000 miles on the clock, for $4,500. It was a bit rough cosmetically, but had about $10,000 of mods and improvements into it.

DSCN0087-XL.jpg

When the right Airhead comes along, I think you need to jump on it.

I think I would have jumped on that bike.

I saw that bike on eBay.Very nice.That is my favorite color on an RS,I even like it better that my Motorsport color.Good luck with yours,she's a beauty.

I saw that bike on eBay.Very nice.That is my favorite color on an RS,I even like it better that my Motorsport color.Good luck with yours,she's a beauty.

HA. I HAD most of your bikes! Ish..
79 XL500
2 Bonnevilles and a thunderbird and Daytona 500
R60/5
AND an RD, Guzzi LAPD, Honda 900R, Sportster roadster and some I don't remember. Oh H1 Kawi, Noton..hmm..memory is shot!

Likewise, after experiencing a couple of step outs, but I had had a set of PFM cast iron rotors installed, and they allowed for a bit more bite more than the stockers.

I always contemplated a switch to iron rotors, but never did it.

When I bought my first BMW--coming from a Ducati--I was pretty disappointed in the brakes. The difference is between stainless and iron for sure.

I always contemplated a switch to iron rotors, but never did it.

When I bought my first BMW--coming from a Ducati--I was pretty disappointed in the brakes. The difference is between stainless and iron for sure.

The iron rotors worked very well, but they were bloody expensive, and one of them ended up warping. We moved it to the rear.

HA. I HAD most of your bikes! Ish..
79 XL500
2 Bonnevilles and a thunderbird and Daytona 500
R60/5
AND an RD, Guzzi LAPD, Honda 900R, Sportster roadster and some I don't remember. Oh H1 Kawi, Noton..hmm..memory is shot!
I also had a Sporster and a Norton.Next bike for me will be a K75 or 100 or an Oilhead.I want to have one modernish bike.Of course I will be keeping my Airheads.

I also had a Sporster and a Norton.Next bike for me will be a K75 or 100 or an Oilhead.I want to have one modernish bike.Of course I will be keeping my Airheads.

I own the 2005 Harley 1200 roadster now with the R100RS. I have done the roadster up well with upgraded fork components, great rear shocks, Bobcat 2 into 1, great comfy seat, adjustable ignition, stage 1 intake. The bike runs like a bear and doesnt handle bad at all.
I have to decide which of the bikes to keep. Leaning towards the BMW for now.
They are so very different!
IMAG0309_zps377189b6.jpg

IMAG0298_zps59f15284.jpg

Last edited:
I have to decide which of the bikes to keep. Leaning towards the BMW for now.
They are so very different!

My Sporster. After riding it, there was no decision on which bike to keep, the HD went away. In the garage you can just see the tail light of the BMW I owned then, an R1100RT.

Attachments

• My Sporster.jpg
    My Sporster.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 28
My Sporster. After riding it, there was no decision on which bike to keep, the HD went away. In the garage you can just see the tail light of the BMW I owned then, an R1100RT.

Hmm..looks like a 2004 to 2006 roadster. I could (and did) massage that bike into something very usable and fun. Having said that, not such an easy decision for me.

You guys are bringing back memories. I had a '75 XLH Sporty back around 1981. Kick start only, custom air brush paint, chromed up and punched out to 1050cc or so. The horn used to rattle off at least once a week and I couldn't get more that 50 miles from town without my hands and wrists going completely numb. Fun to ride around town and that was about it. Small 75 Harley Sportster XLH taken 1981.jpg

Back