• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My New AIRHEAD

jwwinzeler

PapaWinz
I found a 1982 R-100 a few months ago that had 9460 original miles. It is my first Airhead and I want to do things right. It had a vetter type fairing and to accomodate the fairing, the previous owner put on some real funky handlebars. I am 6'3" and my hands are way to high and seem too close together. The fairing is off and I have gone through the bike changing fluids, tires, seals and other things. Where can a man see pictures of a R 100 with different handlebar set ups

I found a 1982 R-100 a few months ago that had 9460 original miles. It is my first Airhead and I want to do things right. It had a vetter type fairing and to accomodate the fairing, the previous owner put on some real funky handlebars. I am 6'3" and my hands are way to high and seem too close together. The fairing is off and I have gone through the bike changing fluids, tires, seals and other things. Where can a man see pictures of a R 100 with different handlebar set ups

You are quite limited in your choices, not only by the fairing at full bar lock, but also the 22mm diameter bars. The BMW throttle control will not fit over the typical 7/8 bars for Japanes bikes.
Flanders has a line of 22mm BMW bars with some dimensions showing on the Internet. I have R100RT's, and fitted both with what they calla "usa /5" bar. It is a tad wider than stock, but considerably lower and more forward than stock. it is a tight fit. - but way more comfy. i am 6-2. I suspect you have the same type bars mine came with.

Of course, you have the Luftmeister/Windjammer fairing, so I am not sure if you have more space than me.

Are you planning to keep the fairing off? Regular width bars from a unfaired model would probably do the trick, and you could find them used. Any plain-jane R75-80-100/7, (or in the early eighties it was called an R100T) would be a probable donor. You might want to get new cables, and consider the brake hose too; the previous owner may have changed them to accomodate the fairing.

Here are pics of the bars on my 81 R100S.
DSC02806.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

Go with S bars. Then your hands will be too low and close together. You can make 7/8 bars work; I had "Superbiker" bars (K&N, I think) on my R100, but you have to take a fair amount of material off the throttle area. S bars are the best option.

airhead bars

Look real hard at the K75C bars, I put some on a R100R and it was perfect for me at 6'4", good reach but not too low.

Back