• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My Canadian friends....

kbasa

Tell me what all this activity about Quebec really means. Will Quebec become its own national entity (currency, parliament, defence department) or are they sort of their own country, but part of Canada?

I'm not real clear about what it all means.

Thanks in advance.

deja vous

It's deja vous all over again. This is an on going issue among the Quebecois who do not feel they are an equal part of modern Canada. The most nationalistic of those feeling disenfranchised want an independent Quebec.

Poutine:eek:nly for the righteous

Oh for gosh sakes people!!

This is simply Gilles Duceppe,the fancy talking leader of the Bloc Quebecois,who receives a Federal salary to spout Quebec independence,having a mental joust with the Prime Minister,Harper,leader of a slim minority conservative government .
Harper simply says OK sure French people in Quebec are a little different within Canada.(One might say,so are the Ukrainians,there are lots of them here).
I am thinking I should ask my MP(translation:sort of like a congressman) to sponsor legislation that recognizes Manitoba expatriates in British Columbia as a nation wihin Canada, who knows when that might come in handy?Perhaps when they start handing out government jobs =the pork barrel along ethnic / indigenous lines.Course,I might have to wait a long time since I am not female,native ,French,other ethnic,or otherwise,disadvantaged.Not that THAT would ever happen,of course.

Ahh Canadian politics...you think you've got it bad with the illegals issue!!! :bottle Where is that I Love Canada smiley???

Perhaps Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona could go back being some independant Spanish nation in the USA. Not a good outlook and it hurts all those that are united that gave them the protection to rebell ?
Too many rich white folks in TexSux for that to happen.

Little cabinet Puppets

:type :wow :usa This is what may happen to us Anexation :usa

Last edited:
This "Nation within a Nation" concept apparently has occured in Oshawa, as it's now located in Ontrio. (See avatar for mrich12000). ;)

Or, for others who like conspiracy theories, it's the beginning of the RBR takeover of Canada. Imagine, all those Broccoli sleeper cells that managed to outwit CSIS for all those years, suddenly springing to life and taking over Canada!

Wait a minute, I'm one of those! How come they didn't let me in on the plot, I tell you, it's another conspiracy!

Regards, Rod.

The French 'Canadians' are having fun constantly being a thorn in the governments rear.( or should I write derriere?sp?)

I am surprised the Aboriginals haven't piped in on this one!!

KBasa said:
Tell me what all this activity about Quebec really means. Will Quebec become its own national entity (currency, parliament, defence department) or are they sort of their own country, but part of Canada?

I'm not real clear about what it all means.

Thanks in advance.

Well they're complaining about all the transfer payments they get. They get more money from the Federal government than they contribute in taxes to the Federal government. Sounds like a great deal for the rest of us.

Despite getting so much government money, they have the worst maintained roads in North America...yes, worse than Chicago.

They get all the lucrative government contracts.

You see, they want to seperate, but still want to keep the Canadian dollar, the Canadian passport and all the other benefits.

Personally, I'm sick of having to hear all their whining.

If they do decide to part company, as far as I'm concerned, they should have to take on their part of the debt burden.

Also, when they do leave, they should leave with what they came with...a small patch of land and not the Quebec as it is known today.

If they do seperate, Texans are going to be miffed big time, because Quebec will be a bigger state than Texas. And y'all have to trade in your flags for one with an extra star on it. :D

my canadian friends

I'll try to put a (short!) report together for you all over the weekend.

Rinty

If they do seperate, Texans are going to be miffed big time, because Quebec will be a bigger state than Texas. And y'all have to trade in your flags for one with an extra star on it. :D[/QUOTE]

...Provinces/States: Quebec is a larger piece of geography than Texas no matter what you call it. In fact, Quebec is as large as Texas, New England, Penn., Ohio, N.Carolina, California and Oregon combined. But that's only if we speak of land mass. Most of the population and road system is concentrated along the border with the U.S and southern Ontario. -Bob

Thank this guy..
Rene_Levesque.jpg

Are we in the U.S. baffled by all of this because we donÔÇÖt understand the concept of the loyal opposition?

Canadians, and other countries with parliamentary systems, seem to be able to tolerate a high level of opposing views with their countries and governments without falling into being dysfunctional. Teeter on the edge but stay on the constructive side of the edge, if barely.

In the U.S. we seem to instantly go to the ÔÇ£_______(insert America or what ever you are defending her)_______ Love It or Leave ItÔÇØ response.

There are serious issues being discussed by Quebec and First Nation groups, but there seems to be a sensibility about the arguments and how they are conducted that makes it hard for us in the U.S. to comprehend.

Just Wondering.

M1ka said:
Are we in the U.S. baffled by all of this because we donÔÇÖt understand the concept of the loyal opposition?

Canadians, and other countries with parliamentary systems, seem to be able to tolerate a high level of opposing views with their countries and governments without falling into being dysfunctional. Teeter on the edge but stay on the constructive side of the edge, if barely.

In the U.S. we seem to instantly go to the ÔÇ£_______(insert America or what ever you are defending her)_______ Love It or Leave ItÔÇØ response.

There are serious issues being discussed by Quebec and First Nation groups, but there seems to be a sensibility about the arguments and how they are conducted that makes it hard for us in the U.S. to comprehend.

Just Wondering.

I think Prime Minister Harper was trying to defuse and preempt a measure by the Bloc by introducing the motion that he introduced (which was passed). It is not law because this was just a motion, not a piece of legislation. The motion, in my opinion, simply puts into different language what all Canadians have come to accept - Quebec is different. What I, as a non-Quebecer, would like to see is Quebec (as a socio-political unit) accept what they have been given and the place they have within Canada and get on with contributing to the building of a strong national (Canadian) fabric.

This could have all been nipped in the bud in 1759. The French population was permitted to keep their language and civil code after Montcalm lost the Battle on the Plains of Abraham to Wolfe in exchange for loyalty to the British Crown. 247 years later, this looks like a bad decision given the number of headaches that have resulted.

Just my two bits worth of opinion.

I wonder if Quebec could take a lesson from Texas. I'm not a native Texan so I'm sorry if those who are take this the wrong way.
My observation, from living here for nine years, is that Texas is very proud to be part of the United States of America and yet Texans never fail to quickly speak up about how much they think they're a breed-apart from other Americans, that being Texan makes them somehow better or at least worthy of being recognised simply for who they are as a geographic/historical/cultural entity. As hung up on itself as Texas is, it's only a rare few odd cranks here and there who even begin to think separatist thoughts- and honestly, I think many (if not most) Texans get more mileage out of a perception of Texas being 'God's Gift To America' than they would out of being another country. I guess it all boils down to being proud to be both Texan and American. And it's not exclusive to Texas to want to be on the best team.
I know that the origins of the Quebec situation are different than the origins of how Texas got to be the way it is, but maybe today's similarities might be good for the way forward.

Burnszilla said:
Thank this guy..
Rene_Levesque.jpg

Vive Rene Levesque. Il etait petit mais un grand politicien qui, a ce jour, fait encore peur au anglais. Si vous voulez comprendre ce que veut dire la "nation" Quebecoise s'il-vous-plait retourner apprendre votre histoire.

Merci.

If you are unable to understand this reply in french then you have demonstrated the need for Quebec to be recognised as a Nation within Canada.

Thank you.

bubbagazoo said:
Not me. Les Habitants are my team and always will be.

I gotta respect that, gotta stay loyal to a team... even if they are going to lose in the conference finals to the Devils!

PAULBACH said:
It's deja vu all over again. This is an on going issue among the Quebecois who do not feel they are an equal part of modern Canada. The most nationalistic of those feeling disenfranchised want an independent Quebec.

If that happens, will the rest of Canada become US territory???........:stick :D :D

Discuss :lurk

Back