• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My 71 R75/5

nevada72

Vintage User
Just wanted to post up my bike that has no problems. ;) It's a 71 R75/5 that I purchased locally last year. I've had newer BMWs, but always admired the /5s. I bought it from the second owner who had it for 34 years. Nice guy who simply wanted to fund his R1150GS purchase. Frankly, I was surprised that he wanted to part with this bike, but I guess he's a one bike kinda person. It came with an Avon fairing, and some subsequent turn indicator issues from the not terribly well done adapter wiring - not a biggy.

Here it is as purchased -
img_0661_70d618ae812a60673b524f5f9342237b2a5fc628.jpg

And now without the fairing -
IMG_2798.jpg

I believe it's been repainted somewhere along the line as the paint quality isn't up to BMW standards. The pin stripes are definitely not original - they look pretty bad - tape marks. I'm torn as to how far to go with this bike. I like "patina" but I'm thinking a better paint job and hand pin stripes to mimic the factory ones are in order. But once the paint looks great, the eye is drawn to the not so great aspects of the bike like some pitted chrome, etc. It's a slippery slope.

The bike has been a pleasure to ride and fairly easy to work on. I know there a bunch of maintenance type things I should get on such as spline lube etc, so I'm very happy to be back as a BMWMOA member to learn from the best.

Looks fine! :thumb Work on low-hanging fruit to get the bike where you want it. The bike will "tell you" what it needs!

Looks fine! :thumb Work on low-hanging fruit to get the bike where you want it. The bike will "tell you" what it needs!

Thanks and Quite right! It told me it needed a clutch adjustment recently. Turned out to be a simple task.

OK now ! Delete the Harley!

Just kidding on the "delete the Harley" thing.

Just a note from the "gotta be correct" wing, pin stripes are blue and you need the yellow (I'm color blind) turn signal reflectors for starters.

Not to toss sand on a great bike and terrific save,it looks good but its all about what you want with it.

The bike looks great and probably runs and rides great so if your good with it don't change anything

Just curious... where did you make the adjustment(s)?

Underneath the bike and per the instructions in this video -

https://youtu.be/l0Nrjoo6c0s

Just kidding on the "delete the Harley" thing.

Just a note from the "gotta be correct" wing, pin stripes are blue and you need the yellow (I'm color blind) turn signal reflectors for starters.

Not to toss sand on a great bike and terrific save,it looks good but its all about what you want with it.

The bike looks great and probably runs and rides great so if your good with it don't change anything

I don't even ride that Harley. I bought it just to piss off all my metric friends. :D Actually it's our land barge for long distance, two up travels. It's performed that function quite well. It's been coast to coast and many point in between with zero issues. The SO requires enough packing room for 7 pairs of shoes (thank God she has small feet) so it checks off all the boxes for keeping Ms72 happy.

Thanks for the heads up on the pin stripes and turn signal reflectors. However, I'm pretty sure they are original to the bike. I could be wrong. I was considering blue stripes. I do like an element of "correctness" in my rides.

Back