• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW history by specific VIN

erichdc

Hi all,

New member.

I'm getting ready to frame-off my '71 R75/5 SWB. It has the wrong tank, wrong seat, no tool roll, and I have no idea what the original color was but it is all matching numbers with original gauges, a great starting point. It was repainted and all the fender stickers/labels etc. are gone.

I don't want to do a concourse level restoration, but to make the bike original as a weekender and maybe good enough for events/shows. These SWB models are getting scarcer it seems and many have succumbed to various chop jobs, conversions to LWB etc.

So, Question:

Does BMW Motorrad have a record of VIN numbers with build specs?

Thanks! Erich in DC

I could be wrong...
but I believe all of the early /5 bikes were black

I'm 4 years into my 1971 SWB 75/5 full restoration, coming up on Christmas day
have been learning a lot, as this is my first airhead
and appreciated all of the experts on the board, and that I've met in person
brant

I used to own a '73 R75/5 LWB in Monza Blue/Toaster. I believe there were four available colors that year, but I gave my original dealer brochure away.

I don't believe the VIN will tell you anything in regards to color, Toaster or large tank, etc.

My '74 R90s is VIN 4070926, which only means it was made for the ROW market (Rest of World, non US) and that it was the 926th bike made in that production cycle.

Good luck.

Colors

Black / White pinstripe
White (not Dover White) / Black pinstripe
Silver ? light Blue pinstripe

Gas cap hinge on the tank had the hinge oppisite of later /5 and /6 tanks. Gas caps flipped forward to open.

Early ones had no battery covers or tabs on subframe to hold them. Side reflectors were mounted on turn signal bodies, license plate mounting bracket did not have the tabs for reflectors.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here is the contact email for build date inquiries
info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

and the email for the individual at BMW who has provided me build info a number of times.
julia.oberndoerfer@bmwgroup.com

All I have ever received is build and delivery date and location.

Which was my response received from them as well; From the archive dept:

Dear Mr L,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW R 75/5 VIN 2980890 was manufactured in May 1971. Further details are not known, because the delivery records are not complete anymore.

Nevertheless we hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

BMW Group
Andreas Harz
Archiv, Sammlung, Classic Brand Management
AK-50
Historischer Informationsdienst
Moosacher Str. 66
80809 München

Postanschrift:
80788 München

Tel: +49-89-382-68281
Fax: +49-89-382-24765
Mail: andreas.harz@bmwgroup.com
Web: http://www.bmwgroup.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand/Board of Management: Oliver Zipse (Vorsitzender/Chairman),
Ilka Horstmeier, Milan Nedeljković, Pieter Nota, Nicolas Peter, Frank Weber, Andreas Wendt.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Norbert Reithofer
Sitz und Registergericht/Domicile and Court of Registry: München HRB 42243
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Black / White pinstripe
White (not Dover White) / Black pinstripe
Silver ? light Blue pinstripe

Gas cap hinge on the tank had the hinge oppisite of later /5 and /6 tanks. Gas caps flipped forward to open.

Early ones had no battery covers or tabs on subframe to hold them. Side reflectors were mounted on turn signal bodies, license plate mounting bracket did not have the tabs for reflectors.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for posting.

Weren't all the /5 colors available starting the first year? Or did color options grow during the run?

Thanks all for your info!!

I requested information for my 1971R60/5 and was sent the same letter. It did tell me the color was originally Polaris Metallic. Dummy me I sent my request after I had it repainted. Bike was repainted when I bought it. When I was stripping it down to metal I saw different colors. Should have been a clue to me. /5 United has good information for the colors in different production years.
Doug

Back