• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Trashman

I agree with almost everything that you said here.... except that i don't think that a rally in Oct is the way to go. Too many families, and young people's lives are tied to the school calendar. I believe that a rally that is held in a different season would end up with mostly attendees who are retires or who live very close to the rally site.

sdc

i agree that a financially unsuccessful rally puts a strain on the operating budget but to dismiss the idea of holding the rally at a different time of year based on the above statement is the main problem with the MOA, there afraid of change.

if the MOA wants to grow and thrive in the coming years then change in inevitable, and to me that means moving the rally to a different time of the year as well as finding ways to attract new and younger members.

i am sure the idea of changing the rally dates to a more rider friendly month offends some of the old school MOA members but i doubt these members would stay away from the national based solely on what time of the year this event is held.

same goes for the vendors, i highly doubt any vendors would stay away from the BMW MOA national rally based on what month is it held. they know we are all there to not only ride and meet old friends but to spend money, and that money can be spent in .........

Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having an event during thier school year

So how many youths attended camp gears this year? When I have seen pictures of the group in the past there were very few. If you had hundreds maybe it would be an issue, if it is as few as I think it is not a reason to hold the ralley during the summer.

I believe that a rally that is held in a different season would end up with mostly attendees who are retires or who live very close to the rally site.

you could very well be right about that, but i would still like to see the MOA at least explore the idea of changing when the rally is held. if there is a real, logical reason why the rally dates can't be changed then i will accept that, but if the reason is "this is when we always have our rally" i'm afraid that doesn't cut it. it is apparent that many members would like to MOA to rethink the month the rally is held, but so far all quiet on the western front, or in this case the MOA board.

I agree with almost everything that you said here.... except that i don't think that a rally in Oct is the way to go. Too many families, and young people's lives are tied to the school calendar. I believe that a rally that is held in a different season would end up with mostly attendees who are retires or who live very close to the rally site.

sdc

Were back to square 1 tying the rally to kids and school. This is as bad as a helmet discussion.

Really? REALLY?

I might be the first board member who is back home, following the rally, so I'll jump into this:

1) Please do not denigrate the board members for not responding to your thread as quickly as you would like. Most of us were working our A!$3$! off in that heat, and have not had time to read the forum yet. :banghead
2) The last unbiased survey we conducted in 2009 of the membership indicated that overall, most members still prefer the rally in July, and on a weekend.
3) The board recently decided that rally sites would be considered "earlier in the summer" if the dates were the only variable stopping us from considering a site.

AND ... here are two important additions to this discussion...

-->Do you have a gripe? Then send it directly to us at our email address: board@bmwmoa.org

-->This year we had five board positions, and only 4 candidates. Do you want to implement change? Then RUN FOR THE BOARD next time.​

Whew. And yes, I *AM* tired and cranky. 760 mile ride home, after a week of sleeping in a hot tent every night will do that. Tonight: a cool beverage and then to sleep in my own air-conditioned bedroom. It's good to be home.

Along w/ a fraction of the membership.
When discussing this stuff... Discuss it all.

So whats to discuss? They get about 1100 attendees and it's considered a success? Many who attend the RA are dual members, so where were all of the MOA members at? Heck, you don't have to be a member of anything so where was everyone? The vendors that I talked too are no longer willing to travel a great distance to support the RA and I include myself with that.

There is a partial answer right there. Pay as you go. Forget early registration.
This topic was pretty much covered last year.
I had suggested the dates could be within June/August and then shop by venue not date.
I would think w/ an open date many more venues would open up for us. :brow

Maybe a more positive way to show the MOA is to support your local spring or fall regional rally with so many attendees that the MOA will see this as a viable business alternative instead of watching the Weather Channel and waiting for perfect temperatures and clear blue skys.
We did discuss this last year in length about holding the set date. So let me remind you and others what I said. Every single promoter and I do mean every single promoter that I have ever talked to will agree that moving the date of a successful event is a recipe for disaster. It doesn't mean if were talking about Sturgus, Daytona Bike week, Americade, or the Indy 500. Move the date once and you'll be hurt for a few years, keep moving the date like the RA does is a recipe for failure.

I might be the first board member who is back home, following the rally, so I'll jump into this:

1) Please do not denigrate the board members for not responding to your thread as quickly as you would like. Most of us were working our A!$3$! off in that heat, and have not had time to read the forum yet. :banghead
2) The last unbiased survey we conducted in 2009 of the membership indicated that overall, most members still prefer the rally in July, and on a weekend.
3) The board recently decided that rally sites would be considered "earlier in the summer" if the dates were the only variable stopping us from considering a site.

AND ... here are two important additions to this discussion...

-->Do you have a gripe? Then send it directly to us at our email address: board@bmwmoa.org

-->This year we had five board positions, and only 4 candidates. Do you want to implement change? Then RUN FOR THE BOARD next time.​

Whew. And yes, I *AM* tired and cranky. 760 mile ride home, after a week of sleeping in a hot tent every night will do that. Tonight: a cool beverage and then to sleep in my own air-conditioned bedroom. It's good to be home.

They way you guys run a rally puts many of the so called professionals to shame. I'll include Americade and Daytona on the list too. The MOA does the job as well as Barber Motorsports and I consider that the highest complement that I can give any organization. Job well done!

This is as a member, not a Mod response FWIW...

We did not go this year as it conflicted with family coming from CA. Family trumps a rally anytime in my world. It didn't in the past, but I am older and wiser these days.

Have only been to three Nationals since joining the MOA. Wisconsin, Gillette, and Johnson City. All had issues of Summer coming or going from Texas. Some were hotter than our July average, some were close.
Having lived and worked outdoors in the Power Delivery trade in Houston & Austin most of my pre-retirement years, one does acclimate to the heat/humidity if one is exposed to it enough. For those who do not get out in it as much as others , it does take a quick toll. Lot's of factors to those who can stand it vs. those who cannot. That's a science report for someone else to do.

That said, I have read,listened, and commented on the why's and why not's of moving the dates the years I have been a member. In the big picture both sides have valid points.
I think the school kid issue for one is misunderstood...it doesn't mean the kids will be there, it means they are something a lot of folks have to schedule around...my parents did it by sending us to Boy Scout Camp! My mom was a teacher most of her life...High School to college. She got a vacation away from ALL kids for two weeks every summer when we were younger.

And a rally as large as this takes many volunteers, a lot who are on vacation this time of year. The RA depends on the local clubs to do the footwork/volunteer/operating at each location...they do not travel like the MOA from the few of those I have also attended. Cannot compare the two at all.

Who can predict weather events years in advance? I have been snowed on one year and then cooked another time in August before in Colorado during one of their big events...happens. Have seen Spring tornadoes rip apart beautiful spots in several states, glad I was not at a rally that time of year either. And remember the Moto Guzzi Rally that was wiped out from a flash flood a few years back?...pretty scarey & humbling event.

Each of the recent BOD's have had this issue on the table...nothing new to the organization. As someone once told me, run for an office if you want to be part of the solution. These folks are riders first as the rest of us...nothing special other than the ability/desire to serve and try to make smart decisions for the majority of the members. They all do not live in Ballwin,MO.

And the locations...no one is ever happy totally on that ..East Coast/West Coast /North/Midwest/South. Someone is going to be unhappy...go or don't go depending on what works for you...works for me.

Hope is all opinions will be heard and responded to in the future. Not an easy answer if you revisit history below.

more from the past discussions, I typed in Move Rally Dates under Search:

2005:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=7029:&highlight=change+rally+dates

2007:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=21490&highlight=MOA+rally+date+change

2010:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47410&highlight=change+rally+dates

Last edited:
This was the first time I was a committee chair at an MOA rally. I got to see and witness the inner workings of one of these rallys.

All I can say is "AMAZING"..........the amount of work and dedication that these volunteers endure is simply fantastic. I don't care what happens, no one can complain. These folks did a great job dealing with thousands of issues, 24 hours a day for over a week. And they ALL did it for us. So we could have a good and safe time..........Nuff said!

If the rally was held anytime other than summer, I predict a 50% reduction in attendance. Dealing with kids in school, lack of volunteers, much busier work schedules most other t9imes of the year would all have an effect.

One small comment...........No matter what, seminars need to be in air conditioned buildings..........:bolt

Complaining comes easier than compliments.

So i will break from the trend.

You guys did a great job!:thumb

I agree! Having first hand experience at planning a large event, I know what goes in to it. Awsome job by all who volunteered and given a large chunk of their life to making this rally a success!

Complaining comes easier than compliments.

So i will break from the trend.

You guys did a great job!:thumb

The complaints have nothing at all to do with the people who present the rally or how great a job they do. They should be commended.

This thread is about the when.

Anyone thought about the availability of one of the domed stadiums around the US. There's no football in the summer!

You know, It amazes me that people are actually complaining about the weather in Bloomsburg..Shure it is hot here, But look at what our servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan are going through...and they are wearing body armor and humping who knows how many pounds of gear..Could the weather be nicer here?..Shure it could, But those guys would trade places with you in a heartbeat..So when you remember that, It is a lot easier to bear.. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/40650.html

:clap:clap

These were, almost verbatim, the last words I spoke to my 12 year old before we headed out on Wednesday afternoon for the rally. I knew it was gonna be hot. I knew he was gonna be on the back of the 1100 for 10+ hours over the next couple days and that the forecast was for MOTS while we were there. And when he started to talk about the heat, I just reminded him that while it's hot, he's not being shot at. He found ways to remain cool (THANK YOU MOA!!) and apparently discovered that he's now an Airhead! :)

YOU GUYS DID A GREAT JOB!! The people who complain about the heat I feel would not show up if it was 70 degrees and you were giving away free tickets..The people who were there had a great time..As for the ones who set at home and complained about the heat, You missed a good time..Deal with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back