• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the projection 10,000? Now, I'm sure that plenty of those missing attendees had paid in advance so nothing lost to the club, but I didn't buy a ticket this year, had planned to show up and pay at the gate.

There is a partial answer right there. Pay as you go. Forget early registration.
So you saved a few bucks registering early. Some folks didn't show at all because of the heat and ate what they 'saved' by registering early.
If you plan on paying at the gate and adverse weather rears it's ugly head you've lost nothing by staying away. If the MOA plans for 6500 and 3000 show because of weather... (example numbers only) they're left w/ a lotta patches, mugs and pins... Then maybe the discussion will open for an open date rally.
-Anyway-
This topic was pretty much covered last year.
I had suggested the dates could be within June/August and then shop by venue not date.
I would think w/ an open date many more venues would open up for us. :brow

You can have the national any time/place you want cause there are to many variables with weather,my job or lack of job(layoff) or vacation time,or location.I never preregister for the nationals anymore.Its to much hastle to cancell it. I reserve my right to attend or not ,so carrie on with any future plans.It won't change a thing with me.I'll try and make em if I can but I hav'nt lost any sleep over it yet or in the future. :wave

Heat shmeat...

...closing ceremony pre-ceremony entertainment.

i-Bgz3HcX.jpg

Turn it up baby!

I vote for cooler location but not Montreal, it was just as hot there.

When I asked why the low attendance last year in Redmond, I was answered that it was 20 % of our membership which is expected.....it held true with Bloomsburg. :thumb

I knew a few weeks ago attendance would be down based on the amount of riders expected in the GS Giant. I have to recount the attendance but there was not 100 involved as projected. Back then is was the gas price excuse, but importantly a smaller group was more enjoyable. :)

Today the weather returned to normal July and it rained. :thumb:thumb:thumb I hope we go to a cooler summer place, I love wet rallies.

I'd personally NEVER attend a national in Canada. I heard stories about not being let into the country with a drunk driving charge,even though I had mine 37 years ago! Nosireee I;d never want a part of that country thankyou! Thats to petty IMO. We all make mistakes but you hopefully learn from your mistakes,but canada is not for me.:banghead:wow

When I asked why the low attendance last year in Redmond, I was answered that it was 20 % of our membership which is expected.....it held true with Bloomsburg. :thumb

Chris the membership has been declining. How far to we have to go to get membership and the 20% expectation to match.

FWIW
As far as I know some firgure in the 10k range would set a new attendance record.

August has been suggested. The issue raised in the past is the difficulty of finding a location that is able to accommodate that rally in August. The size/needs seem to make fair grounds work better. They are in heavy use during August with local and regional events they were intended for when built

Another benefit to having a rally in late spring or early fall is that there is far less traffic on the road and fewer people at motels and in restaurants on the way to and from a rally, and the motel rates are usually lower.

I didn't preregister for this rally for two reasons, I didn't know how busy it would be at work, and I won't go to a rally if the weather is not favorable. It turns out that I had some issues with one of my projects at work that needed to be addressed on an urgent basis, so I stayed at work and took care of that. I'm also an older rider with a heart issue, and I wasn't about to ride in 100F+ weather, or try to sleep in a tent in very hot weather. The over-riding factor was that if the ride wasn't going to be enjoyable, then why go?

I've had some very nice rides in September to places like Nova Scotia and Maine, and enjoyed nice weather.

How about a mid-week rally to avoid conflicts with other rallies?

Harry

What I find interesting is the number of forum members with low post counts who've checked in to this thread.

What does how many post a member has make , the whole point off this forum
is for members to take a part in the outcome of the MOA 1 post or 1000.

I paid and went to the rally so I can put in my 2cents , if it was nicer outside I
would be riding and not inside.

And post like yours is why I don,t post very much :banghead

I vote for fall or spring

My brother and I just got back from a 5000 mile round trip. About 1500 of it was through 100 degree or more temps. Needless to say, it was like hell and has taken the toll on my brother (he is 70) enough to say, "I'm never taking a long trip in the Summer again." It would be nice to have a rally in every state but that would be crazy in places like where I live, South Texas. I like camping out but not in the heat; It's just not fun. I know there are pros and cons for every season, but my vote goes for Fall or Spring.:thumb

i think everything that needs to be said about this has already said, it is now up to the MOA to respond to the membership with their reasons why the rally dates can't be changed or to explore moving the rally dates to more rider friendly months. to simply ignore what appears to be a very real issue to many members, myself included, tells me that the MOA has there own agenda and nothing the paying members do or say matter. if i am wrong and the MOA truly does care what the members think then they need to address this issue ASAP. there silence on this matter only leads to further speculation on our part as to what the real reason is for not wanting to change the rally dates.

I paid and went to the rally so I can put in my 2cents , if it was nicer outside I

Comments were made about "the future of the MOA" and folks with lower post counts tend to be new members. If "the future" really matters, the new folks should be heard and acknowledged. In my experience, they are not. I've been banging my head against the wall here for 5 years.

As to the forum having anything to do with the outcome of the MOA, we've been repeatedly told by the administration that it is not a factor. "We don't conduct club business in the forum."

This forum has never been a very friendly place and I wonder why I bother trying to participate. The only guy who ever did present a friendly welcoming face in this place is dead now.

#119. We have a poll here. 123 replies in 4 days. Perhaps a record.

A record...hardly

tommcgee 13
moondog 10
nytrashman 10
Doubleplay 6
glenfiddich 6
Statdawg 4
GrafikFeat 4
sparkchaser1200 4
Mika 3
35303 3
Red100RT 3
Beemerdons 3
osbornk 3
GSCookeMnster 3
36654 2
lilredroadster 2
AKsuited 2
Brownie 2
From MARS 2
35634 2
brewmeister 2
JDOCKERY132445 2
Clay 2
widebmw 2
ELBUFF 2
rx35285 2
khill 2
32232 1
EastKy 1
Flyer5 1
racer7 1
BJ_CT 1
Visian 1
donbmw 1
r11rs94 1
guitardad 1
rsbeemer 1
nplenzick 1
mosrrt 1
rdalland 1
Guenther 1
MikeLamberti 1
MarkM 1
Khan 1
shropdog 1
bmwdean 1
ayaple 1
cpannarbor 1
TomDac 1
6659 1
Motodan 1
Awhitebuff 1
jewels 1
Recht 1
tricyclerob 1
40427 1
roy 1
sellis 1
tvtommy 1
38839 1
Show Thread & Close Window

"We don't conduct club business in the forum."

if this is the case then what do the members have to do to get the board to at least acknowledge there is an issue in holding our rally during one of the hottest months of the year. do we storm the MOA headquarters en mass to get our point across, do we file some type of petition, please don't tell me there is no way the membership can get the board to acknowledge, let alone act on an issue. if that is the case and there is no way to approach the board with legitimate concerns and expect some type of acknowledgment or action on there part, then i will have to think long and hard before i renew my membership.

I took it to mean this is an issue that newer members (hence the low post counts) care enough to respond to. And if a member of the MOA joins the forum because of this topic, we all win because more voices are heard. I really don't think he meant to say the more posts you have the more you ought to be listened to. Hell, some folks seem to post dozens of times and I have yet to figure out what their point was. :scratch

Stick around, post all you want. We all have a right to be heard.

Pete

Last edited:
A record...hardly

tommcgee 13
moondog 10
nytrashman 10
Doubleplay 6
glenfiddich 6
Statdawg 4
GrafikFeat 4
sparkchaser1200 4
Mika 3
35303 3
Red100RT 3
Beemerdons 3
osbornk 3
GSCookeMnster 3
36654 2
lilredroadster 2
AKsuited 2
Brownie 2
From MARS 2
35634 2
brewmeister 2
JDOCKERY132445 2
Clay 2
widebmw 2
ELBUFF 2
rx35285 2
khill 2
32232 1
EastKy 1
Flyer5 1
racer7 1
BJ_CT 1
Visian 1
donbmw 1
r11rs94 1
guitardad 1
rsbeemer 1
nplenzick 1
mosrrt 1
rdalland 1
Guenther 1
MikeLamberti 1
MarkM 1
Khan 1
shropdog 1
bmwdean 1
ayaple 1
cpannarbor 1
TomDac 1
6659 1
Motodan 1
Awhitebuff 1
jewels 1
Recht 1
tricyclerob 1
40427 1
roy 1
sellis 1
tvtommy 1
38839 1
Show Thread & Close Window

OK. Record or not there are at least 60 members who posted and god knows how many are following. So what's your point?

I took it to mean this is an issue that newer members (hence the low post counts) care enough to respond to. And if a member of the MOA joins the forum because of this topic, we all win because more voices are heard. I really don't think he meant to say the more posts you have the more you ought to be listened to. Hell, some folks seem to post dozens of times and I have yet to figure out what their point was. :scratch

Stick around, post all you want. We all have a right to be heard.

Pete

I took it the same way, Pete. We need some new blood on here.

:wave
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back