• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explanition please.

i've watched this issue for many years, and the only way around it appears to be a higher-priced rally ticket.

or crap beer for @ $5+ per cup.

:dunno

How does the beer tent work now at the rallies as far as the supplier of beer goes. Who supplies, who owns the beer wagon, if that is correct terminology, and what is the profit to the MOA? I'm just asking because I don't have the faintest idea and I'm sure some of the other members don't either. Mo:dunno

How does the beer tent work now at the rallies as far as the supplier of beer goes. Who supplies, who owns the beer wagon, if that is correct terminology, and what is the profit to the MOA? I'm just asking because I don't have the faintest idea and I'm sure some of the other members don't either. Mo:dunno

The Beer Team is better qualified to answer this than I am.

But why let that stop me? :p

Each year, we contract with independent local breweries and we get a serving license. They haul the beer to the rally, we pour and serve.

The beer is never crap, the prices are way below retail, and the revenues are put back into the rally in the form of entertainment.

Many facilities have a contract with a concessioner, and that means they sell the beer and get the profit. In other areas, like a large part of the southeast, it's almost impossible to get a beer license.

So... if we can't sell our own beer, we either go with fewer bands or we would have to get the money for the bands from somewhere else, most likely in the form of a higher rally fee.

Then there is the safety issue. Serving beer on-site reduces the likelihood that rally attendees will ride somewhere, drink, and then ride back to the rally DUI.

ian

I would have to imagine that profit plays a LARGE part. Consider when you go to a bar and buy a pint of something they nick you, say, $3.75 or $4.00 for it.
Each barrel is 15.5 gallons or 1984 ounces which nets you somewhere between 124 and 165 cups of beer (16oz or 12oz).

If the MOA negotiates some sort of exclusive with a local distributor for some sponsorship (a la Yeungling in PA) they must get a good price per keg. Even at $60 for each keg: they are netting somewhere between $64 and $105 per keg. And my guess is they did MUCH better on their per-keg cost than that.

Each year, we contract with independent local breweries and we get a serving license. They haul the beer to the rally, we pour and serve.

The beer is never crap, the prices are way below retail, and the revenues are put back into the rally in the form of entertainment.

Two things not lacking up here in the PNW. Great Local Beer and Great Local Music.

No need to mention the riding/scenery.

Consider when you go to a bar and buy a pint of something they nick you, say, $3.75 or $4.00 for it.

Even at $60 for each keg...

I paid $7 in a restaurant for an IPA last night and about $120/keg for halfway decent beer for the Gypsy Tour in PA.

Didn't get to set foot in the Beer Garden at all in PA, but I am guessing that the good beer cost $2-3 there?

most beers at the rally are much better than Yuengling.

it's less money than you think and the proceeds go mainly to entertainment expenses.

Two things not lacking up here in the PNW. Great Local Beer and Great Local Music.

No need to mention the riding/scenery.

and a GREAT place for a rally! :thumb

... which is what this thread is about.

beer policy is probably as bad and an oil or a wave thread. :wave

most beers at the rally are much better than Yuengling.

As a matter of taste I would disagree with you but then my taste does not trend toward the IPA. For me, in the relm of largely available American lagers, Yeungling from a keg ranks at the top. At $1.00 a cup, it was a delicious bargain!

...beer policy is probably as bad and an oil or a wave thread. :wave

Too Late. :drink

As a matter of taste I would disagree with you but then my taste does not trend toward the IPA. For me, in the relm of largely available American lagers, Yeungling from a keg ranks at the top. At $1.00 a cup, it was a delicious bargain!

American? PBR... Just as long as it's out of a bottle.

pbr1.jpg

Which is why American beer got the reputation for being just like making love in a canoe.

Last edited:

i agree, Yeungling is a decent beer and it would have cost you 4 bucks had there been a beer concessioner! :nod :drink

and none of the bucks would have gone toward the rally.

OK... I see 380 posts out of 38,000 members. How many care, don't care? How many talk about October/April without reading the gist of the thread? So what.
I did submit a location and did a recon and submitted images as well.

Simply put... To give up 12 extra weeks of venue selection, by whom ever chooses them, because a few people either hate change or cannot get there socks in a saddle bag on time is just plain silly.

Or using your analogy... I'd rather have 1 dart and 12 extra shots to score that bulls eye.

Settle down a bit. There is another segment of the membership that silently waits every year for the rally _ _ to be over and the brief period that we are not promoting the up coming rally and pissing and moaning about the last. There are other things we wish the association could get on with in addition to all the rally stuff.

Hey all,

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I am just back from the Finger Lakes rally and there was no internet there.

Ian has it mostly right in these posts as to the beer issue. My comments in blue.

and a GREAT place for a rally! :thumb

... which is what this thread is about.

beer policy is probably as bad and an oil or a wave thread. :wave

Beer issues have been a frequent area of discussion on the forum. Many say that we should not provide beer at all and this would solve site selection problems. I hope what I write below will finally explain why we require control of beer sales at our International Rally.

The Beer Team is better qualified to answer this than I am.

But why let that stop me? :p

Actually, we generally apply to the local govermental agency (city or county) for a temporary tavern license. We are then subject to the local tavern laws. We contact the local distributors like any other tavern and order what we need to sell. For us, return of unused product is more important than it would be for a permanent tavern.

We genreally have to take the price they quote. The fact that we sell a lot of beer in a short period of time usually gets us better service, but very rarely a lower price.

For control, we sell tickets which have been $1.50 each in recent years. One ticket gets a Bud, Miller, lite versions of these and the popular local beer like the Yeungling this year. Microbrews are 2 tickets.

Many facilities have a contract with a concessioner, and that means they sell the beer and get the profit.

This was the case in Redmond. The concessioner had the right under contract with the fairgrounds to sell all food, pop, water, beer, etc. We worked out a deal with them that we would serve the beer and they would lower their price to $2 a glass for Bud, etc and $4 for the microbrew. I still think that is too high to achieve the goal below and do not favor this kind of arangement.

In other areas, like a large part of the southeast, it's almost impossible to get a beer license.

We had the first temporary beer permit ever granted for the fairgrounds at both Johnson City and Bloomsburg.

So... if we can't sell our own beer, we either go with fewer bands or we would have to get the money for the bands from somewhere else, most likely in the form of a higher rally fee.

Then there is the safety issue. Serving beer on-site reduces the likelihood that rally attendees will ride somewhere, drink, and then ride back to the rally DUI.

And this is the primary reason we want to control beer sales. We set the price. If beer is reasonable, it is very likely that when the rally goer emptys his cooler, he will go to the beer garden rather than get on his bike drunk to restock the cooler. This is a safety and liability issue for the MOA. Yes, we set the price to make some money, but primarilly to avoid the safety and liability issue.

ian

i agree, Yeungling is a decent beer and it would have cost you 4 bucks had there been a beer concessioner! :nod :drink

Or more. Convention and Fair Prices are now nearer to $5.00 or $5.50.

and none of the bucks would have gone toward the rally.

Note my sig line for my qualifications to comment on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back