• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks rideable to me! I notice the pavement is wet not snowpacked and icey. Couldn't have been that cold. At least above freezing. I have riden Bear tooth at least 25 times and have yet to see it snow in the summer. That must have been a kwirk. It looks like you are on the upper meadows not the pass itself. Anyway great picture.

Jack

i would have gone if they let me, but it was blocked by a gate. i even tried to measure a gap between the rocks to see if the cylinder heads would slip through.

afaik, this is right at the top. it's at the state line anyway... that sign says "Welcome to Wyoming."

we were waiting as the snow plows worked on the western slope.

Summer = June through August. Float the date within those 90 days for optimum venue!!

Well said if I say so myself... :ha

You are indeed correct GrafikFeat and I agree with you. Make the dates entirely flexible between the full months of June through August, and then let the venues selected determine the dates. If in Gunnison, CO: BMW MOA International Rally could certainly occur in July. But, if Bloomsburg, PA again: June or August instead!!!

You are indeed correct GrafikFeat and I agree with you. Make the dates entirely flexible between the full months of June through August, and then let the venues selected determine the dates. If in Gunnison, CO: BMW MOA International Rally could certainly occur in July. But, if Bloomsburg, PA again: June or August instead!!!

Bloomsburg 2011

It rained all but 10 days in June and historically August is like the rally.....the dog days of summer. Late August one worries about hurricane remnants, we just had Irene and we had Ernesto a few years ago..........I think we were lucky with the heat compared to having a very wet rally.

If the rally was earlier or later than the chosen date the MOA would have had food vendor issues since they would be off to bigger annual events or be in conflict with other fairground money maker events.

If the rally was earlier or later than the chosen date the MOA would have had food vendor issues since they would be off to bigger annual events or be in conflict with other fairground money maker events.

If they can't get their proverbial "S**T Together" in two years to plan than I'm sure there are other local shoppes MORE than willing to fill that void. Especially in this economy.

It's so tiring to hear why we can't every time there is a dissenting idea.

Stop acting like Old Men.

Bloomsburg 2011

It rained all but 10 days in June and historically August is like the rally.....the dog days of summer. Late August one worries about hurricane remnants, we just had Irene and we had Ernesto a few years ago..........I think we were lucky with the heat compared to having a very wet rally.

Having lived within 75-miles of Bloomsburg for 92.2% of my life, I can agree that August is often hotter than July in this area, but the week of the Rally was a record setting weather event. Just plain stinking HOT. Blast furnace hot.

Rain any of those afternoons, would have been a relief.

In my opinion, the suggestion to bracket the rally dates between June and August seems to have merit and could allow greater flexibility for the event planners.

...could allow greater flexibility for the event planners.

...would allow greater flexibility for the event planners. Thank You.
And I'll add... Since we can't change weather... The Venue should take precedence. :brow

Last edited:
...would allow greater flexibility for the event planners. Thank You.
And I'll add... Since we can't change weather... The Venue should take precedence. :brow

If there is weather, damage and hell on earth "they" have rally insurance to recover any loss.

Is it written somewhere that the rally must be held in Mid-July ? I am too old to go back or use the search feature.

If there is weather, damage and hell on earth "they" have rally insurance to recover any loss.

Is it written somewhere that the rally must be held in Mid-July ? I am too old to go back or use the search feature.

:::sigh:::

Again.
The point isn't weather. The point is the venue choice would improve IF we were NOT tied down to a single weekend of a single month.
There are 13 weekends to chose from between June through August. Having 13 over just one would really benefit the general membership by acquiring the best venue possible.

Jeebus... It ain't Rocket Science.

Again.
The point isn't weather. The point is the venue choice would improve IF we were NOT tied down to a single weekend of a single month.
There are 13 weekends to chose from between June through August. Having 13 over just one would really benefit the general membership by acquiring the best venue possible.

Jeebus... It ain't Rocket Science.

Is the rally a victum of its own success when it comes to date selection? The size of the rally requires a fair ground sized venue. These, at least in my part of the country are taken during the month of August by standing events they were designed for.

Read through the thread objections/obsticles to moving the date are fairly well listed. If anyone wants to be more than a rally customer start looking in your region for a venue and available dates that meet or exceed the requirements. Then submit it and lobby for it.

While I agree it ain't rocket science it may be a little more than throwing darts at a bigger list of sites and months.

no, it's written that our leadership talks to members and listens to answers, and *most* answer that they want the rally in July. not a particular weekend, a particular month.

that said, it is *really* likely that this opinion could change, which is why the asking/listening process occurs almost constantly.

personally, i think the idea of opening up to more dates during the summer, which is what's being suggested by Grafikfeat, has a lot of merit.

we don't often run into the problem of a venue not being available during the entire month of July, during which there are 4-5 weekends, and we have often changed the rally weekend to accommodate. however, there are some venues that have regularly scheduled events during that time, so it would be great to have the flexibility.

where is KenK when you need him. one of the *biggest* problems we have in getting a good rally site is the requirement to sell our own beer. maybe we could gnaw on that one for a while because i think our leaders are listening and there is a willingness to add some flexibility to the rally date. :nod

ian

Read through the thread objections/obsticles to moving the date are fairly well listed. If anyone wants to be more than a rally customer start looking in your region for a venue and available dates that meet or exceed the requirements. Then submit it and lobby for it.

While I agree it ain't rocket science it may be a little more than throwing darts at a bigger list of sites and months.

OK... I see 380 posts out of 38,000 members. How many care, don't care? How many talk about October/April without reading the gist of the thread? So what.
I did submit a location and did a recon and submitted images as well.

Simply put... To give up 12 extra weeks of venue selection, by whom ever chooses them, because a few people either hate change or cannot get there socks in a saddle bag on time is just plain silly.

Or using your analogy... I'd rather have 1 dart and 12 extra shots to score that bulls eye.

I did submit a location and did a recon and submitted images as well.

Great job, that worked for me ! :thumb

Plus I saw your forum postings about the place so I am looking forward to it.

For changes and as SIBUD always said contact the BoD or submit a proposal. I know it sounds like the same old same old but that is the way things are.

Here are two examples of change from the membership. #1. The Code of Ethics. #2. Beemerville, the creation of a data bank of talent within the MOA membership. The system works.

Again.
The point isn't weather. Jeebus... It ain't Rocket Science.

I agree what the OP wrote.

i know this topic has been discussed before but given the high temps this week in PA i am wondering what it would take for the powers that be in the MOA to move the national rally to either the spring or the fall. by keeping the national rally in mid July there are certain parts of the country (Arizona, Nevada, southern California, Texas etc.) that are excluded from the rotation just because of there climate in mid July. lets all be honest here, how many really like riding day in and day out in 90 + degree weather only to get to the rally and find that the night time temps & humidity don't offer any relief to those that choose to camp on site. what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held. if i am out of line by suggesting changing the rally to a different time of year then i apologize, but given the fact that upwards of 10,000 riders will be on the road in 90 + temps it only figures there will be a significant number that will succumb to dehydration or heat stroke. perhaps if the first aid tent was filled to capacity with dehydrated riders for the entire rally it might dawn on the executive committee that mid July might not be the best time to hold our national rally.

:thumb Hey its not about the weather its all about being flexible.

OK. Once again this is turning into a pissing match.
I've said my peace and it's been noted.

Ian said it best.
"...it would be great to have the flexibility."

I'm done here. I don't need to get banned again by saying something silly.

The selling of beer is a major problem????

I find it hard to believe that being able to sell our OWN beer stops the MOA from selecting other venues. Is it the selling of our own beer or is it the selling of beer in general that is the problem?? One of the major fishing clubs I belong to finally quit worrying about supplying their own bar and now simply lets the establishment where we have our meetings/weighins supply the bar. It free's up members to be able to work in other areas and yes I do realize the loss of income from not supplying the bar but, I can't believe the bar is the final go or no go issue on the venue. Respectifully, Mo :dunno:violin

... and yes I do realize the loss of income from not supplying the bar but, I can't believe the bar is the final go or no go issue on the venue.

i've watched this issue for many years, and the only way around it appears to be a higher-priced rally ticket.

or crap beer for @ $5+ per cup.

:dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back