• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mounting VA Inspection Sticker Plate on 2023 R1250RS

bkkjack

I picked up a plate from my dealer and am looking for a place to put it. There are three threaded holes on the rear hub and was thinking of using the top one, which is threaded M6 x 1.0. Do those threaded holes have some purpose of which I am unaware and would attaching the plate there cause problems?

Are there any better places to put it?

53742925101_07ca463efd_b.jpg

The holes are used for the GS mudguard/Possum Scraper.

Thanks. That's where it's going then. Although, I just might put the "Possum Scraper" on, too. There's so little rear wheel "fenderage" on the US RS. I did put a bigger hugger on it, but really wish it had the Euro rear fender/plate mount for us all weather commuters.

So obviously your bike- do what you like. But- where is it now? Morton's put mine up high on the fork- completely out of sight, lest you squat down in the right place. Cops are not going to give you a hard time about it, and no big ugly sticker to mess up the lines of the bike.

Second the "no one is going to hassle you if it's out of sight" sentiment. Being pulled over for a non-obvious inspection sticker just isn't a thing; I'm pretty sure the sticker is not a primary offense (primary meaning you can be pulled over for just that). Many bikes just don't have one, period.

Thanks. That's where it's going then. Although, I just might put the "Possum Scraper" on, too. There's so little rear wheel "fenderage" on the US RS. I did put a bigger hugger on it, but really wish it had the Euro rear fender/plate mount for us all weather commuters.
I found a rear fender in the UK and bought it. Fits fine on my 2022 R1250RS

I found a rear fender in the UK and bought it. Fits fine on my 2022 R1250RS
We added that rear mudguard to our 2016 R1200RSs and moved them to our 2022 R1250RSs.
Here's pictures posted by another member.
1716741708048.jpeg

I added a piece of vinyl flooring so the fender extended down to the reflector.
1716741906082.jpeg

1716741931392.jpeg

We added that rear mudguard to our 2016 R1200RSs and moved them to our 2022 R1250RSs.
right. combine it with a machineart moto mudsling, and you're fairly well covered.

As I recall the folklore, limited availability of the Australian mudguard on Lee and Debbie's bikes. The first couple years of the R1200 RS,, the bikes sent to Oz included a wide replacement cover for the license plate holder to meet the current requirements for control of mud/rain spray. The requirement was lifted, but the replacement cover continued to be sent and as the dealers no longer had to put the replacement covers on the bikes, they put them instead on the internet. Last I checked, some still avaiable if you don't mind shipping costs.

...and never a bad idea to put a screw into those open threads to keep then clean while deciding on the expense vs. benefit of a possum guard..., and if your going to put in a bolt, it might as well hold something.

right. combine it with a machineart moto mudsling, and you're fairly well covered.

As I recall the folklore, limited availability of the Australian mudguard on Lee and Debbie's bikes. The first couple years of the R1200 RS,, the bikes sent to Oz included a wide replacement cover for the license plate holder to meet the current requirements for control of mud/rain spray. The requirement was lifted, but the replacement cover continued to be sent and as the dealers no longer had to put the replacement covers on the bikes, they put them instead on the internet. Last I checked, some still avaiable if you don't mind shipping costs.

...and never a bad idea to put a screw into those open threads to keep then clean while deciding on the expense vs. benefit of a possum guard..., and if your going to put in a bolt, it might as well hold something.
They were also available for a time from UK dealers. A rider from the RS forum living in the UK purchased 2 for us and mailed them. I was surprised the postage was resonable.
We also have the mudsling.

So obviously your bike- do what you like. But- where is it now? Morton's put mine up high on the fork- completely out of sight, lest you squat down in the right place. Cops are not going to give you a hard time about it, and no big ugly sticker to mess up the lines of the bike.
MOD put it on the same place. You'd never know it was there unless you knew where to look

I put mine in front of the left cylinder as shown below. It's been there for about 7 years with no problems from the cops or the inspectors.

Sticker plate.JPG

I put my plate on the lower left of the fork. To do so, I replaced the bolt holding the ABS sensor to the fork with a longer bolt and four nuts.

Inspection plate RS.jpeg

The longer bolt goes through the plate with a washer under the bolt head. The four nuts were loosely installed on the bolt. The bolt was run through the sensor and screwed into the fork, checking to ensure the end of the bolt does not extend too far out of the back of the fork toward the ABS ring. Two of the nuts were tightened against the sensor (one to hold the sensor in place, the other to act as a lock nut). The remaining two nuts were run up against the back of the plate to hold it at the desired angle.

It's a fiddly set-up because there's not much room to get 10 mm wrenches on the nuts, and it requires care to not inadvertently loosen the inner or outer nuts while tightening the opposite pair, but the result is a pretty clean installation. This is the best pic I have from my RS installation. I moved the set up to my RT (similar lower fork castings). If you want pics of the RT, let me know.

Back