• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mounting Luggage Racks help

W

WesPeterson

I have a 1977 R100S and purchased Hepco and Becker classic airhead bags and the BMW luggage rack (part number 4660306). I'd appreciate if anyone could post some pictures of where/how the rack is attached to the bike - particuarly the rear.

Thanks for any help.

Wes

Wes, this isn't BMW but a Krauser rack. Maybe this will help you in some respect. This is the one I had on my 77 R100/7 thirty years ago.

Attachments

• Krauser (Custom).jpg
    Krauser (Custom).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 235
Thanks Don. My rack is different from this one unfortunately (for me).

yes, that's it. I'm hoping to see some pictures of the same rack actually on the bike particularly the rear. I appreciate the post.

Krappy Krauser Bag Mounts

I have a 1977 R100S and purchased Hepco and Becker classic airhead bags and the BMW luggage rack (part number 4660306). I'd appreciate if anyone could post some pictures of where/how the rack is attached to the bike - particuarly the rear.

Thanks for any help.

Wes

Wes,

This is not the detailed photo you requested (I'll have to take some more photos) but this the the bag mount setup I use and what I like.
This is a Reynolds rack, not sold anymore AFAIK, but not that hard to find.

Phaedrus_b_6_22_08.jpg

It is a hell of a lot stiffer (and stronger) than that crappy Krauser rack.
I had the same setup (bag mounts only) as those posted by warrendon, thirty years ago. I HATED them!

The die cast pieces were OK, I guess but the brackets which wrap around the rear shocks and attach to the frame near the passenger pegs are flimsy and floppy and cause the bags to wiggle and jiggle like a blob of jello - even when very lightly loaded. BOTH my brackets fractured from fatigue in record time, right where they bend around the shocks.

In complete disgust, I threw the whole setup in the garbage (thirty years ago) and went to the tubular STEEL mounts that most folks used (and still use today.)

I have NEVER had a problem with the Reynolds bag mounts and I routinely overload those bags. Just food for thought.

If it were me, I'd return those things to Bob's, muy pronto, for store credit.

If you have any interest, I'll take detailed photos and post them.

Put the rear mounts up to the loop on the rear of the seat subframe and the rest of the mounting points will become obvious.

Hint: the top front mounts go on shock bolts (on inside).

You can't put a luggage rack that mounts to the BMW bag mounts on a bike with an S seat. If your mounts are all one piece, i.e. left and right and luggge rack are all welded together, these mounts don't fit a bike with an S seat.

S seat is the one with the cowl on the back of the seat frame. With this seat, all you can have is separate right and left saddlebag mounts, although you might find some aftermarket abomination to serve as a luggage rack. Rear boxes, BTW, are not approved by BMW for early Airheads and BMW never designed any rear rack for S seats save for the one that attaches to the cowl itself.

Who Made 'em?

Are yours really Reynolds equipment? Butler and Smith offered these kinds of racks when they were in business:

To tell the truth, I am not entirely certain WHO made them; they were on the bike when I bought it.

There may have been a few different companies manufacturing this type of bag mount, back in the day...

Having said that, these mounts (or similar ones) are "out there" and not too difficult to find.

Furthermore, that does not change my fervent dislike of those Krauser mounts. Hey, if somebody else likes them, that's just fine with me. I hated them.

Some of the beefier aftermarket ones have a capacity to unscrew, then tilt, the rack so it clears the S/RS/RT tailpiece. Perhaps yours already has this feature?

yes, that's it. I'm hoping to see some pictures of the same rack actually on the bike particularly the rear. I appreciate the post.
If yours is the one shown at RealOEM, I have a set of those. The rearmost mounting points should be two sleeves perpendicular to the tubing, not a stamped flat plate. At the rear, they have a sleeve (#6 in the photo) that spaces them apart on long bolt #7. ISTR it also goes through something on the top of the taillight housing, but it ain't much, that's for sure.

Back