• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice needed: Mounting luggage rack on R90/6

i quite literally just got through day two of trying to get my racks on my 76 r90/6, that gap between the rear rack mounts and the frame loop would be nicely filled with a rear rack. that being said i spent a few hours trying to get everything to fit nicely. after i realized that everything was NOT going to fit nicely the rubber mallet came out. the rear mounts needed to be knocked in a bit in order to make everything line up properly. the other upper mount (shock mounts) mounted inside the bike on the shock bolt. what a pain in the ass. couple photos below - you can see the rear rack there. good luck!

a1A6JHD.jpg

OYUoXnz.jpg

56WbxoG.jpg

Hammer time

Sometimes a hammer is the best idea. Sometimes the best way to get rid of stress.

I keep my hammers locked in a separate tool box, If I have to unlock a second box, it gives me time to cool off, the hammer urge goes away. LOL.

OKAY, so sounds like the problem is getting solved, sorry I have not added any helpful photos. St.

BMW designed this mount system and over the years there were many little changes as the airhead line evolved. Also, quite a few aftermarket venders got into building their own variations; example Reynolds and Seibenrock, all good stuff. But their are small differences in their product lines. When you start mixing and matching these parts; it can get frustrating fitting this stuff together.

Success

Thanks for all the advice. After much trial and error (and more error, and more trial) the luggage racks are installed. I still have a bit of weirdness to sort out with the HB bag locks. Unfortunately each bag uses a different key and the RH bag latch is not fully releasing. However, right now it's time for a beer.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the racks and the bags are Hepco-Becker. When I went to install the bag latch to the racks I realized HB did not include the required M6X20 bolts so another hardware store run. Somewhat annoying.

Photo shows MP1, just behind the footpeg. Since I'm using a solo seat I decided to remove the passenger peg for now.
final_1_mp1.jpg

Mount point 2, and yes y'all are correct it does go *behind* the shock mount.
final_2_mp2.jpg

And after correctly installing MP2, MP3 now (mostly) lines up. I did need a trip to the hardware store to get a longer M6X50 bolt (supplied bolt was M6X45).
final_3_mp3.jpg

LH side showing the Hepco-Becker repro Krauser bag.
final_4_side.jpg

Do these bags make my rear look big? Actually, my rear is, well, never mind.
final_5_rear.jpg

Back