• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice needed: Mounting luggage rack on R90/6

blender

Just another rider
Advice needed: Mounting pannier rack on R90/6

Bike is question is a '74 R90/6 with a solo seat. Back in January or so I bought a set of Hepco-Becker reproduction luggage racks for the Krauser-style bags. The racks were advertised as fitting the MY 1970-1976 bikes.

I *finally* got around to trying to install them a few weeks ago and can't quite figure out where the mounting points are. Of course, the racks did not come with any instructions. Photo 1 shows the LH (clutch side) rack. Mount point 1 appears to go on the passenger footpeg mount, MP 2 goes on the top shock mount; but I have no idea where MP 3 goes.

photo_1_sm.jpg

Can someone point me to an example of these installed or perhaps a photo of a set installed on a bike?

Attachments

• photo_1_sm.jpg
    photo_1_sm.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
There is a mounting point on the rear subframe

Just in front of your tail light on the rounded part of the rear sub frame is a mounting point for #3. you will need a bolt that is about 3 1/2 inches long, it goes through the left rack #3 hole, through the mounting point on the rear sub frame and then through the #3 mounting point on the right side of the rack.

Just in front of your tail light on the rounded part of the rear sub frame is a mounting point for #3. you will need a bolt that is about 3 1/2 inches long, it goes through the left rack #3 hole, through the mounting point on the rear sub frame and then through the #3 mounting point on the right side of the rack.

Is the sub frame mount this one? Appears a bit small, however I haven't actually tried it yet Was I correct with mounts #1 and #2?. Thanks for the help, BTW!

Edit: I did spring for a mounting bolt kit when I bought these so *hopefully* a trip to the hardware store won't be needed.

photo_3_sm.jpg

Luggage rack on R90/6 - Part 2

Well, the luggage racks are somewhat mounted, thanks to the advice received here. However, I've encountered two issues: 1) there is an approx 5"/123mm gap between the rearmost rack mounts, and 2) the rearmost rack mounts do not align with the subframe mount lug.

For issue #1 I could use a threaded rod and some spacers to tie the two luggage mount points together; however that wouldn't solve issue #2, tying the rearmost rack mount points to the bike subframe. I'm not looking at using a BF bar to bend the rear rack mounts into alignment.

Once again I'm asking for advice, insight, and general wisdom. I'm probably overlooking a simple solution. Then again, maybe not. ;)

This photo shows the gap between the L & R luggage rack mounts:
pt2_photo_1.jpg

This shows the misalignment between the rack mount and the subframe mount:
pt2_photo_2.jpg

I think you mention in your first post that you attach the lower arm to the foot peg hole. That struck me as odd because as someone mentions later it should be in the hole just to the rear of the footpeg. You do have it attached there correctly now dont you?? NOT TO THE FOOTPEG!......When looking at your pictures, are the reflectors in the way of the tubing to line up properly? .......I dont know yet, if you even have the proper accessory frame. I truly hope this is the correct one and folks HELP you figure it out.........God bless....Dennis

I think you mention in your first post that you attach the lower arm to the foot peg hole. That struck me as odd because as someone mentions later it should be in the hole just to the rear of the footpeg. You do have it attached there correctly now dont you?? NOT TO THE FOOTPEG!......When looking at your pictures, are the reflectors in the way of the tubing to line up properly? .......I dont know yet, if you even have the proper accessory frame. I truly hope this is the correct one and folks HELP you figure it out.........God bless....Dennis

Correct, I do *not* have the racks attached to the footpeg. There's a hole in the mounting plate just a bit to the right of the footpeg mount, that's where I mounted the racks.

The reflectors are not in the way of the racks. I likely looks that way due to the camera perspective.

And I do wonder if I actually have the correct racks. I got them new from Bob's BMW. They were listed as fitting the 1970-1976 (IIRC) series bikes. They currently aren't offered on the website so I have no way to verify fitment.

I think to list racks for 1970-1976 is a little fishy...1970-early 1973 were short wheel based and late 1973 to 1976 were long wheel based. I'm having a hard time thinking that one rack fits across those years. Bob's BMW currently shows two separate racks for the early and for 1973 to the end of the twin shock models (1984). Interesting, the pictures shown seem to be identical...just for general appearance purposes but not for use in checking how them might fit.

Concern

I kind of think after looking at the pictures either there is enough flex to pull the ends together (not likely but just a thought) or, they are not the correct racks for that bike.

To add to my concern is how are you going to mount the bags to the racks once you have the racks installed? I know one version of BMW bags used a seatbelt style latch with a pair of clamps wrapped around the rack tube. Newer versions use a welded flat piece with either the seatbelt style latch or the newer HepCo Becker style latch.

Some of the 84 and newer bikes used another bag altogether and they had their own mounting system. (Don't throw rocks at me if I am wrong about this)..

If I find pictures of what I am writing about, I will post them.

Max BMW on their microfiche shows the different style latches and bags I am writing about. Under R90/6. St.

I didn't see in your photos of how you mounted the upper, forward mounts. I'm 90% sure they should be mounted inside of the frame to the upper shock bolts. This would be the first thing I'd attach, then the lower forward mounts and the upper rear. If they aren't, that may explain why the upper rear mounts don't draw in to the rear of the frame. Good luck sorting out your problem. Ride easy.

I think to list racks for 1970-1976 is a little fishy...1970-early 1973 were short wheel based and late 1973 to 1976 were long wheel based. I'm having a hard time thinking that one rack fits across those years. Bob's BMW currently shows two separate racks for the early and for 1973 to the end of the twin shock models (1984). Interesting, the pictures shown seem to be identical...just for general appearance purposes but not for use in checking how them might fit.

I was speaking from memory when I posted that, and I realize quoting from memory can be dangerous. I ordered these back in January and when I last checked didn't see the same ones on the web site. For reference the part number I have is R46-2, I'm not sure if that's a HB part number or Bob's.

Well, the current racks for Bob's R46-2 are for the 1973-1984 bikes. So if that's what you got, then it should be right for your /6.

I kind of think after looking at the pictures either there is enough flex to pull the ends together (not likely but just a thought) or, they are not the correct racks for that bike.

To add to my concern is how are you going to mount the bags to the racks once you have the racks installed? I know one version of BMW bags used a seatbelt style latch with a pair of clamps wrapped around the rack tube. Newer versions use a welded flat piece with either the seatbelt style latch or the newer HepCo Becker style latch.

Some of the 84 and newer bikes used another bag altogether and they had their own mounting system. (Don't throw rocks at me if I am wrong about this)..

At the time I bought the racks I also bought the repro Krauser bags (I think they're made by Siebenrock?). These have a "claw" rear clamp (my description) and come with an adapter to bolt to the rack. This might be that HB style latch you mentioned. Whether this works or not I'll soon find out. If needed I can post a photo tomorrow.

I didn't see in your photos of how you mounted the upper, forward mounts. I'm 90% sure they should be mounted inside of the frame to the upper shock bolts. This would be the first thing I'd attach, then the lower forward mounts and the upper rear. If they aren't, that may explain why the upper rear mounts don't draw in to the rear of the frame. Good luck sorting out your problem. Ride easy.

Thanks for the advice! I mounted the top rack mount on the *outside* of the shock mount. There didn't appear to be enough room for the rack to clear the shock if I tried the inside frame mount.

I'll recheck the mounting tomorrow and post a photo if I'm even more confused.

That should be inside the frame but not in the same slot that the shock fits in. Hope that helps.

Mounting of racks

I have that style mount on 1 of my 84's. #1 is in a hole just behind the footpeg, #2 inside the upper shock mount, & #3 thru loop in subframe with a bolt. On my 76 /6 the hole where #1 would hook in appears to be smaller than the 84 but very close in location. Hope this helps!
Skeeter

Thanks everyone! Looks like I screwed up the #2 mount; I went *outside* the shock mount. Tomorrow I'll redo it and go *inside* the shock mount.

I'll report back.

Steve

Back