• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MotoMeter Clocks

Clocks

I've had my original clock on the bench for the last week or so, losing about 3-5 min. /day. I'll adjust the mainspring to see if I can get it closer to staying accurate, but if not, I'll just leave it. It runs. It's quiet and it looks ooooo so good.

I've heard of guys installing a switch to break the 12v source so they can turn the clock off while the bike is in storage. What I may do is go into the headlight and move the 12v wire off the red terminal (terminal connection board) to a switched power supply, like the voltmeter is set up.

Since the bike isn't my daily rider, the clock will run with ignition on only and I won't have to wire in a separate switch.

That seems like a good trade off. Just some thoughts.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

Removing the negative connection to your battery is easier than installing a clock switch and insures there are no parasitic draws.
With 3 bikes and a lazy streak I just make a point of putting the charger on each of them once a month or so and then let them sit for another month. Rinse, wash, repeat...

Back in the days when chargers were expensive we had 7 bikes. I had one charger. So, in Iowa in the winter, on the 1st day of the month I connected charger to one bike for 24 hours, then bike 2, then bike 3, etc for the entire 1st week of the month. Every night when I got home from work I would move the connection to the next bike. It might not have been optimal auto sensing and charging per a seven stage charging regimen but it worked. Sometimes technology is not as necessary as they tell us.

p.s. PLEASE. That single non automatic charger (which I still own and sometimes use 19 years later) was a GIFT he brought to me, from the owner of a hardware store in Buffalo, Wyoming when he discovered we were semi-stranded on our return to Kansas from Alaska with an open rotor on my R80G/S in a campground he was in the process of buying, right by the Interstate. (Indian Campground, Buffalo, WY) I am and will always be forever grateful to this kind deed from a person who had no reason to care, except he did. All of you out there who have no reason to care but might: if you have a chance, always, always, pass it on! Always!

Clocks

Check out what some are asking for an airhead BMW OEM clock market these days:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-airhead-flea-market-thread.1028901/page-12#post-36933267

Now I think that both those prices are very high and with some hunting you can do better for sure but I see more and more ads for NOS stuff that people have been hanging onto waiting for the "right time" to sell.

It usually comes down to supply and demand. OEM clock parts are nearly non-existent and most of the repair shops only offer quartz movement updates, so finding a working, original unit is simply going to command high dollars. It's just a clock, but it seems to be the final missing piece on a correctly restored R90s these days. :)

RPGR90s

Strap a ten dollar Casio to the handlebar, sell the motometer clock on eBay, take the funds and install an oil pressure gauge. Always wondered why a clock was in the dash? When on vacation the last thing I wanted to know was the time of day other than how high the sun was.

I have the original electric clock in my '74 R90s that just started losing time. Are there any companies that would repair it and leave the stock movement intact?

I know the standard thing to do is replace/upgrade to a quartz movement but was hoping to keep it original if possible.

Thanks,

RPG

No Hollywood speedo and clock used to be a warranty repair station for BMW both cars and motorcycles. They repaired both VDO and Motometer instruments.
6111 No Lankershim BL. Hollywood Ca 818-287-6594

Palo alto Speedo is another. 718 Emerson st Palo Alto Ca. 650-323-0243

Strap a ten dollar Casio to the handlebar, sell the motometer clock on eBay, take the funds and install an oil pressure gauge. Always wondered why a clock was in the dash? When on vacation the last thing I wanted to know was the time of day other than how high the sun was.

I've wondered a lot of things about BMW over the years but never once wondered why there was a clock. These bikes were designed and built in Germany! Where the trains _always_ run on time...:thumb

Oil pressure gauge versus clock

My first BMW dealer told me for most people by the time they look at a pressure gauge and notice there is no or insufficient pressure, the damage is done.
Don't bother with a pressure gauge, that is what the warning light is for.

Get a clock so you can see if its time to get home for dinner and a volt meter to see if the battery is being charged. That is all you need.

Makes sense to me. St.

With all due regard, this is right up there with the most silliest threads on the forum. Sure an original working clock is nice. But a quartz substitute with the same face is functional. Unless you have a certain museum quality bike, don't sweat it. If you can find an original, great! If not it is not a huge deal. Motor on. They are for riding. Not gratification.

clocks

With all due regard, this is right up there with the most silliest threads on the forum. Sure an original working clock is nice. But a quartz substitute with the same face is functional. Unless you have a certain museum quality bike, don't sweat it. If you can find an original, great! If not it is not a huge deal. Motor on. They are for riding. Not gratification.

Exactly.

Why would anyone want to use an original R90s clock on their R90s? :)

Welcome to the forum, svalgard! This is a fairly old thread and the poster you reference hasn't been back for a couple of years. Hopefully someone else with electronic experience can help out.

In the series of pictures, looks like he replaced his capacitors with 100 microF units. You're saying yours say something like 4000 microF? Do you have pictures of your capacitors?

Capacitors are measured in pico-farads. If my memory is correct the symbol is #####uf.
Hope this helps.

Capacitors are measured in pico-farads. If my memory is correct the symbol is #####uf.
Hope this helps.

"µF" is the symbol for microfarad. "pF" is the symbol for picofarad. Depending on the size capacitors come in micro and picofarad.

Pictures 4019 and 4021? Those are Ones, not Fours, so they're 100 µF (microfarads).
Judging by picture 4017, he used Radio Shack parts (100 µF @ 35V).

Back