• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MotoMeter Clocks

RPGR90s

I have the original electric clock in my '74 R90s that just started losing time. Are there any companies that would repair it and leave the stock movement intact?

I know the standard thing to do is replace/upgrade to a quartz movement but was hoping to keep it original if possible.

Thanks,

RPG

Check w/ Terry Vrla. I know he does speedos and tachs, not sure about clocks.

On one of the flying brick speedometer threads someone mentions overseas speedometer repairs fixed his clock

I have additional speedometer repair places listed in the link in my signature line.

Long ago, I had the original clock give out on the 90S I then had, and Overseas Speedo (I think it was them) offered a new quartz clock, and they would transfer the my original clock's white-numbered face to the new clock's movement. Best of both worlds: Longevity and accuracy, along with correct instrument appearance. Maybe not the solution if concours judges are going to be scrutinizing the details.

clocks

Long ago, I had the original clock give out on the 90S I then had, and Overseas Speedo (I think it was them) offered a new quartz clock, and they would transfer the my original clock's white-numbered face to the new clock's movement. Best of both worlds: Longevity and accuracy, along with correct instrument appearance. Maybe not the solution if concours judges are going to be scrutinizing the details.

Its nearly impossible to get parts for an original clock. And I can't remember the last time I saw one running on a bike. Maybe your solution would be te best.

For now, Ive cleaned and lubed mine and have it running on the bench, hoping to see if it's accurate over a few days time.

Its nearly impossible to get parts for an original clock. And I can't remember the last time I saw one running on a bike. Maybe your solution would be te best.

For now, Ive cleaned and lubed mine and have it running on the bench, hoping to see if it's accurate over a few days time.

I saw two of them running perfectly on time just five minutes ago in my shed. One on my RS dash and one in a pod on my G/S. They are both original clocks from 81 and 82 and run perfectly on time. Motometer made really good quality instruments. I know everyone is replacing them with modern quartz crystal movements these days which are cheap and accurate but both my airheads have Collector status plates on them requiring me to keep them as stock as possible. But also I just love those analog clocks. They suit the bikes and the era they come from!

Clocks

I saw two of them running perfectly on time just five minutes ago in my shed. One on my RS dash and one in a pod on my G/S. They are both original clocks from 81 and 82 and run perfectly on time. Motometer made really good quality instruments. I know everyone is replacing them with modern quartz crystal movements these days which are cheap and accurate but both my airheads have Collector status plates on them requiring me to keep them as stock as possible. But also I just love those analog clocks. They suit the bikes and the era they come from!

I should have clarified that it's been awhile since I've seen running original clocks on a R90s.

The exception being Todd Trumbore's 40th anniversary R90s rally a few years ago.

Clocks

I should have clarified that it's been awhile since I've seen running original clocks on a R90s.

The exception being Todd Trumbore's 40th anniversary R90s rally a few years ago.

Along these lines, can anyone recommend a source for a replacement clock that will fit in the dash of my R80RT. My R100RS had a working clock and I took a liking to it being there.

I bought instruments at Bass Pro shop. They were the right size and looked quasi correct. They were meant for boat usage so I was sure it was water repellent and was also damped for vibrations. Here's my current set in my Lufty fairing.

Somewhere in the past, I also got some gauges at NAPA.

LuftyHeadlightKnobOrg.jpg

Along these lines, can anyone recommend a source for a replacement clock that will fit in the dash of my R80RT. My R100RS had a working clock and I took a liking to it being there.

You can get a good variety of instruments at Summit Racing. I only found one VDO style clock there that would fit but it is not a German MotoMeter of course. They are no longer made and NLA from BMW. Most are going to quartz and digital instruments as replacements. I still prefer analog and the analog look and feel on my airheads. Here's what the Summit Racing one looks like:
vdo-370155_w_ml.jpg

It's $54 here: https://tinyurl.com/y393n9c6

Matching voltmeter here: https://tinyurl.com/y3qgwgoc

You can get a good variety of instruments at Summit Racing. I only found one VDO style clock there that would fit but it is not a German MotoMeter of course. They are no longer made and NLA from BMW. Most are going to quartz and digital instruments as replacements. I still prefer analog and the analog look and feel on my airheads. Here's what the Summit Racing one looks like:
vdo-370155_w_ml.jpg

It's $54 here: https://tinyurl.com/y393n9c6

Matching voltmeter here: https://tinyurl.com/y3qgwgoc

I have this clock in one of my Miatas- it's a nice piece and I like it. But, if you have green-faced numbers on your instruments like I do on my bikes, it won't match (if that is important). The Miata has white-faced numbers, so it worked for that application (although I had to pull it apart to color the fixed LED green to get the back-illumination to show through green when the lights are on to match the dash lighting).

Back