• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Modes

As I was doing my 3.5-hr drive to business meetings, I noticed that the Ford Fusion rental car had "modes" that I could select or allowed me to "manually" shift the automatic transmission. I've driven these cars, and similar, several times and they've all offered some variant of these features. Now, at some time, I recall playing with these features in some car and rapidly losing interest. Just like the time I drove a BMW 5-series car with Steptronic transmission, shifted the transmission once or twice and completed the test drive driving the car as a ubiquitous automatic. My most lasting impression of that test drive............the driver's seat was fantastic. While I have no clue if it was the Ultimate driving machine, it definitely has my vote for Best Butt Cupper!

But, I regress. So, from my perspective, if the action isn't real/necessary for the vehicle to be functional, it's just a form of amusement. Much like playing a video game or, perhaps, like those people that find relationship happiness with an inflatable partner. It fulfills a need without all the effort. Unfortunately, in my opinion, that effort provides the context for the experience and without context, the experience is just time spent.

From this perspective, I find little value in the digital data screens which now adorn some BMW bikes. It's great that they can do that, but shouldn't the design objective be clear/ concise delivery of pertinent information vs ambiguous techno wizardry?

Perhaps vehicle manufacturers can come out with a "Stand-Pat" option for their driver interface. One large analog dial with a few idiot lights thrown in ought to do it. Would be enough for me. When we were test driving small SUVs they all had a sport mode with paddle shift options. A useless toy IMHO.

I agree with both posters. Most gadgetry on new vehicles (two- and four-wheeled) is extraneous to my needs and uses. Seems like the manufacturers are putting doo-dads on the vehicles to simply prove that they can do it. However, I've noticed that folks younger than, say, 30 or so aren't much interested in the driving experiences I am interested in. They don't much care about gears or torque or fuel delivery or crisp handling or engine smoothness or any of the "old school" stuff. Younger drivers are just looking for a place to sit while they move from point A to B and listen to music or text or twerp or toot (or whatever they call it) with their friends. When they see a new car, my grandkids (all high schoolers or college students) only ask what sort of "interface" it has and by that they mean, can it connect wirelessly to their smartphones or iPods or whatever. I expect that the upcoming generation of autos that will be increasingly self-driving will fit their lifestyles just fine. I, on the other hand, will mostly stay home and watch old movies on the obsolete TV.

I once drove a Ford SUV rental and the user interface was so complex it was nearly unusable. Maybe you ultimately get used to it, but the workflows involved in getting anything done made it dangerous to do while in motion. :dunno

The Legacy option is a great idea! :thumb

Both of my Mazda's do allow me to manually shift the automatic transmission when I want to. I do find that helpful in mountain driving sometimes. The backup camera is a good feature also. Most of the other stuff is not that helpful and the stuff that is distracting doesn't even get used.

I think they are still keeping the Prius "sans" paddle shifters. :)
OM

Wrong subtopic. You're over in the "Commuter Corner".

BTW - I didn't get my pointy hat, but I and Francis were hanging in the same town last week. He never tweeted me, so I choose to perused the offerings at a Mini Dealership, before turning in at the hotel. Perhaps, next time?

Wrong subtopic. You're over in the "Commuter Corner".

BTW - I didn't get my pointy hat, but I and Francis were hanging in the same town last week. He never tweeted me, so I choose to perused the offerings at a Mini Dealership, before turning in at the hotel. Perhaps, next time?

The Mini.....Now your talking. The sport version.....now your talking and smiling and having fun :burnout
OM

The Mini.....Now your talking. The sport version.....now your talking and smiling and having fun :burnout
OM

The Prius is utilitarian, cheap and reliable. The Mini is fun, thirsty and unreliable.

Remind you of any other choices in life?

Does your Pius have a sunroof? It will need to have one to accommodate the miter, but then the Pope was traveling in a Fiat 500 when he arrived at the White House.

The Prius is utilitarian, cheap and reliable. The Mini is fun, thirsty and unreliable.

Remind you of any other choices in life?
Pretty clever keeping the word Prius and fun out of the same sentence. :thumb
OM

Does your Pius have a sunroof? It will need to have one to accommodate the miter, but then the Pope was traveling in a Fiat 500 when he arrived at the White House.

I'll have to drive my 330i when wearing my Miter or ask my wife to drive the pick-up while I ride in the bed. To be honest, the Prius is the wife's car.

Ya know, the Pope in a 500L was pretty cool. I know it's naive of me, but I would like to think that all public officials could travel in a simple car. Today, it's helicopters every where. Perhaps, if the public officials used the public roads and transit they would take ownership and responsibility for it's maintenance and expansion. Otherwise, it's just a public service for the poor.

Last edited:
Pretty clever keeping the word Prius and fun out of the same sentence. :thumb
OM

Honestly, in the past 20-yrs, I can only think of a few "fun" cars that I've driven. With that being said, I have to admit that my budget doesn't allow me to go beyond the entry level luxury market (when used). But, on the bright side, my limited perspective is forcing me to look for that little kick-butt car that won't consume much garage space and may present the opportunity for other garage occupants.

Back to the Prius, it drives just like any other mid-size front-wheel drive sedan with an automatic transmission. You hold the steering wheel, operate the turn signals, slide your hinny around in the seat to that perfect spot and, if you feel like it, listen to the radio/mp3 player or audio book. For drivers stuck in the desolation of suburban sprawl, it's a vary adequate choice. The fuel mileage is a bonus.

Honestly, in the past 20-yrs, I can only think of a few "fun" cars that I've driven. With that being said, I have to admit that my budget doesn't allow me to go beyond the entry level luxury market (when used). But, on the bright side, my limited perspective is forcing me to look for that little kick-butt car that won't consume much garage space and may present the opportunity for other garage occupants.

Back to the Prius, it drives just like any other mid-size front-wheel drive sedan with an automatic transmission. You hold the steering wheel, operate the turn signals, slide your hinny around in the seat to that perfect spot and, if you feel like it, listen to the radio/mp3 player or audio book. For drivers stuck in the desolation of suburban sprawl, it's a vary adequate choice. The fuel mileage is a bonus.
Actually I do understand the whole Prius thing. While I don't own a Toyota, I am a fan of the vehicles and the way they have taken care of the people that have bought them......during their little mistakes :)
In a tight urban environment or the conditions where long commutes are necessary, probably hard to beat. The ease of getting around in the city with a small car is a major plus. I have a hard time telling most cars apart from one another nowadays- and it doesn't matter who made them. The vehicles I drive probably get a third (maybe a quarter) of what the Prius gets for fuel economy, but can haul a load or pull a trailer which is what I need.
On the Cooper, a friend has the sport (I think it's an S) and it is really amazing as far as performance and comfort.
Anyway, kinda cracks me up when people forget- or seem to forget, they are all good when they run. :burnout :burnout.
OM

On the Cooper, a friend has the sport (I think it's an S) and it is really amazing as far as performance and comfort.
Anyway, kinda cracks me up when people forget- or seem to forget, they are all good when they run. :burnout :burnout.
OM

Being a rear wheel drive fan, the Mini is at a bit of a disadvantage for me. When I saw the BMW 1-series as a hatchback in Europe, I was pretty excited. Unfortunately, that model never made it to the US.

Back