• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Road 5 expected mileage?

I'm going with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. Got one mounted on my extra rear rim. I'm just not too happy with the mileage on the Pilot Road 4GT's for it to be such an expensive tire. Yes i know they have excellent wet weather grip but i don't go racing my bike around mountain roads in the pouring rain. I've had them on a K1300GT and a Harley XR1200. I've ridden with guys with the Roadsmart 3's and they grip as good as anything out there from what i saw up in the mountains. I also had a set of Roadsmart 2's and they lasted far longer than i ever thought they would. Most of the time i go really fast in a straight line. The Roadsmart 3's would work just fine.

We're throwing away a set of Road 5GT's tomorrow. They have 4000 miles on them (removed for a trip) but it's doubtful they would even make another 500 miles. We loved the PR4's, but the 5GT's were a big disappointment due to lower mileage and more slippery when leaned over in the wet than PR4's. Yesterday we got a set of Roadsmart IV's but not enough mileage yet to tell how they will be. The turn in is quicker, small bumps are more compliant. I like both of those aspects.

--- K1300S, two-up, 38/44psi, typical tire mileage is 5 to 5 1/2k ---

If taking a trip near ending anywhere near the 5k mark on the Road 5's or Road 5GT's I'd recommend a backup plan just in case. Be aware, just like all current makes of rear tires with no center wear indicator, you'll probably see cords before you are sure they are worn out.

We're throwing away a set of Road 5GT's tomorrow. They have 4000 miles on them (removed for a trip) but it's doubtful they would even make another 500 miles. We loved the PR4's, but the 5GT's were a big disappointment due to lower mileage and more slippery when leaned over in the wet than PR4's.

I am on my first set of 5GT's. I will be disappointed as well if I experience the same.

Road 5

The rear Michelin Road 5 on my 2016 R1200RS has done over 10,000 miles and is approximately 55%worn solo riding light luggage

The stock rear Michelin Road 5 on my '21 R1250RS lasted 7000 to the wear bars. There was decent tread left on the front but I swapped them out for a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 4's. I liked the Michelin's fine but the deal on the Dunlops was better right now.

My riding is in extreme heat, always over 105 during the summer, and the roads aren't great so getting 7K out of tires seemed normal compared to the 6K I usually got out of tires on my Bonneville T120. I weigh 220 and ride above 75 usually. Heat, weight, speed, and roads seem to eat up tires.

A lesson…

I ride a ‘21 RT almost exclusively in western NC mountains, so very few highway miles, it’s nearly all serious twisties. I’ve got 5,480 miles on Road 5 GT‘s: the rear still has a bit of life left, but the front was right down to the wear bars. I learned a lesson yesterday. A buddy and I (250lbs) rode “The Rattler” (290 curves in 24 miles!) We didn’t ride particularly fast, but I did keep dragging the sides of my feet on the road, so it was “spirited”! It was also pretty hot.

We rode about 120 miles and broke for lunch. Afterward, when I walked back to the bike, I nearly had a heart attack. The front tire had a stripe of fabric on the right shoulder of that circled nearly 2/3 of the tire’s circumference! That harder rubber in the center of the tire still looked pretty good but the softer shoulders looked like they’d been shaved down with a plane! The combination of minimal tread and really hot road surfaces just wasted what was left of that tire!

I crept home at 35mph (about 7 miles). Put a new Road 5 GT on the front today & ordered a Road 6 GT for the rear (just to be ready). That old tire is going on the wall so I see it every time I ride!

Back