• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Road 5 expected mileage?

brownie0486

I've got a set of Road 5's on the RT presently with 1200 miles on them. When I bough the bike the rear was 9/32. In those 1200 miles it's reading 7/32's.

My trip will be 4K or a little under in 3 weeks, my question is

What are people getting for mileage on the road 5's on a bike weighing 580#'s [ my RT ]. I'm not sure these will make another 4K a the rate they've been wearing presently.

Thoughts? I could have a set ordered and delivered to the Sturgis bmw dealer and get them swapped out before the ride back to Az. I'm hoping they last, but they are wearing quickly compared to the Dunlop RS4 's on the RS

Thanks in advance

We only tried the Road 5 front tire.
It had the shortest life of all the other Pilot Road tires we had used in the past.
Your front tire might not last the trip.

PR5 mileage

I ran these for 6-8 sets, and I would consistently knock them off @6,000 to 6,500. For some reason the fronts and rear wore about the same and I would replace the set when close to the center wear bars. This was on a 1200 WC GSA, Solo rider, I weigh 255 and have full set of BMW luggage probably 20 lbs of junk in the truck during normal riding. Texas heat and road conditions. A few front tires cupped but most didn’t. I bet they would make the 4k based on my experience.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I just changed a pair of the Road 5GT's on my '21 RT, 8500 miles, front was worn worst with wear bars exposed, rear was down to only a 1/32 remaining to top of wear bar.

I just changed a pair of the Road 5GT's on my '21 RT, 8500 miles, front was worn worst with wear bars exposed, rear was down to only a 1/32 remaining to top of wear bar.

I won't ride a tire that less than 2/32 and usually change them out at 3/32. Those are cheap insurance for my body not becoming part of the roadway.

I just replaced a set of Road 5's at 3,800 miles with the front past the wear bars on the sides and the rear probably a 1,000 miles until the wear bars on the sides. This was on a 2020 R1250RT and mostly mountain riding in East TN, western NC, and north GA.

Last edited:
Ken, what tires did you replace your Road 5 tires on your RT with?

I am close to 6,300 miles front and rear Road 5 GT's and now the rear has a slow leak from a nail gun nail, 2" long and 1/16" wide. I had to drill the hole large enough to push the plug in, which was dead center on the well-worn tread. This was March 30. Even after riding all those similar roads that you did, the plug held up pretty good until about a week ago. Small leak from the edge of the plugged area. I had to drill it for another plug to push in. UGH! That second repair only lasted a few days of commuting with a slow leak overnight, so new Road 6 GT tires will go on this weekend.

Cheers!

Ken, what tires did you replace your Road 5 tires on your RT with?

I am close to 6,300 miles front and rear Road 5 GT's and now the rear has a slow leak from a nail gun nail, 2" long and 1/16" wide. I had to drill the hole large enough to push the plug in, which was dead center on the well-worn tread. This was March 30. Even after riding all those similar roads that you did, the plug held up pretty good until about a week ago. Small leak from the edge of the plugged area. I had to drill it for another plug to push in. UGH! That second repair only lasted a few days of commuting with a slow leak overnight, so new Road 6 GT tires will go on this weekend.

Cheers!
I had a set of Continental Road Attack 3 GTs that i mounted. We’ll see how they do.

I've run three sets of Road 5s on my 2007 RT and I'm getting 12 - 13,000 out of the rears and 10 - 11,000 miles out of the fronts. I say "set" but by now I'm replacing them one at a time due to the rears lasting longer. I replace a tire at the wear bars or slightly before if a trip is coming up.

I've run three sets of Road 5s on my 2007 RT and I'm getting 12 - 13,000 out of the rears and 10 - 11,000 miles out of the fronts. I say "set" but by now I'm replacing them one at a time due to the rears lasting longer. I replace a tire at the wear bars or slightly before if a trip is coming up.

Interesting, the Road 5 rear has 1200 miles on it and has lost 2/32 of tread. At that rate, it might last 4K miles. I check air pressure before every ride running 36/42.

Interesting, the Road 5 rear has 1200 miles on it and has lost 2/32 of tread. At that rate, it might last 4K miles. I check air pressure before every ride running 36/42.

Question for all - Who is running Road 5 GT's, and who is running regular Road 5's on your RT's? My initial assumption is that RT's would run the 5GT - but that's an assumption.

Question for all - Who is running Road 5 GT's, and who is running regular Road 5's on your RT's? My initial assumption is that RT's would run the 5GT - but that's an assumption.

Yes, it should have been the 5gt variant, not the road 5 put on the bike [ now mine ]. I'm swapping them out for the Dunlop rs4's couple weeks before I leave on a 3 week trip.

Yes that is. I'm 165 lbs in riding gear and run 38-40 F and 40-42 R. First set were installed in OR and accumulated 4500 miles crossing USA. I replaced those together at 10,000 miles. The fronts after that went 10,320 and 10,182. The rears went 10,000 - 13,256 - 12,399.

I ride most of the time at about 760 lbs laden weight = 600 lbs (top box but no bags) plus me solo. I weighed the bike in this configuration at 600 lbs with a full gas tank and a few odds & ends in the tank bag. I eschew the GT spec for the regular Road 5. I wouldn't say I ride gingerly.... I ride often with Bernie :) I load about 60 lbs of gear when riding to the mountains several times a year.

Yes that is. I'm 165 lbs in riding gear and run 38-40 F and 40-42 R. First set were installed in OR and accumulated 4500 miles crossing USA. I replaced those together at 10,000 miles. The fronts after that went 10,320 and 10,182. The rears went 10,000 - 13,256 - 12,399.

I ride most of the time at about 760 lbs laden weight = 600 lbs (top box but no bags) plus me solo. I weighed the bike in this configuration at 600 lbs with a full gas tank and a few odds & ends in the tank bag. I eschew the GT spec for the regular Road 5. I wouldn't say I ride gingerly.... I ride often with Bernie :) I load about 60 lbs of gear when riding to the mountains several times a year.

My RT weighs 580 unladen. I'm 180, 24/7 carry in panniers is 38#'s, top box carries 10#'s. Add the weight of panniers and top case unloaded, the bike sits at about 850#'s.

The dealer that serviced the bike just before I bought it put the wrong damned tires on it.

I've had two sets of Road 4 GT tires on my 2015 R1200RT. The first set was changed out at 10,500 miles and the second at 11,000 miles. I ride one up with top case and bags. Usually loaded with camping gear. I just mounted a set of Road 5 GT and am anxious to see how they do.

When comparing tires it is important that you not just compare the same model, brand and size, but it is also very important that you compare the model of motorcycle. The difference between a 2007-2009 HexHead R1200RT tire consumption to a 2018 WetHead R1200RT bike is huge. The same brand and version tires will get a lot less mileage with the WetHead then the HexHead, and a ShiftCam R1250RT will get even less miles.
I am getting around 2K miles less with the same brand/model tires with the 2018 WetHead R1200RT then I did with my 2007 HexHead R1200RT.
If you are getting ready to leave on a 3,500-5,000 mile trip with a WetHead RT, I would strongly recommend that you change tires before leaving home. You can always safe the used tires and remount them for local area rides or donate them to a rider in your local club.
I know that I can around 6,000 to 7,500 miles from a set of Michelin Road 5GT tires, but at that moment the cords will be clearly visible. :burnout
I ride with dduelin and I have no real idea how he gets the mileage he does, but he gets even better mileage with his Honda 750NX something.
While my friend in TN with his new ShiftCam 2019 R1250RT said he gets around 3,500-4,000 miles, which is almost half of what he used to get with 2010 CamHead R1200RT, same gear, same rider, same payload, same roads.:whistle

I have had the Road IV's an V's and only got around 4k out of them. I do ride aggressive here in E. TN on the curves. Daily rider is an 2018 R1200RT. I'm 235#s at 6'2" plus about 15lbs of gear in the panier's. At last years rally in Montana, I put on the Dunlop Road IV's and still have them on the bike with about 8k and they look only about half wear. I'm fixing to do an Ironbutt to TX next month and then I think they will be done. I hope to get 10K out of them. I have already ordered and rec'd another set of the same tires. They handle well too. The Michellan's have that tip over feeling where the sides wear out and begin to make a noise at around 3500k...at least to me.
Try a set of dunlops and see what you think. My two cents!

"you skin grizz pilgrahm?"

Last edited:
I have had the Road IV's an V's and only got around 4k out of them. I do ride aggressive here in E. TN on the curves. Daily rider is an 2018 R1200RT. I'm 235#s at 6'2" plus about 15lbs of gear in the panier's. At last years rally in Montana, I put on the Dunlop Road IV's and still have them on the bike with about 8k and they look only about half wear. I'm fixing to do an Ironbutt to TX next month and then I think they will be done. I hope to get 10K out of them. I have already ordered and rec'd another set of the same tires. They handle well too. The Michellan's have that tip over feeling where the sides wear out and begin to make a noise at around 3500k...at least to me.
Try a set of dunlops and see what you think. My two cents!

"you skin grizz pilgrahm?"

I have ordered a set of Dunlop RoadSmart4 and will get them mounted after the rally.

Back