• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mechanic Put Mobil 1 in my F650GS

kentuvman

Hi - I tried an independent BMW mechanic in my neighborhood who was the service manager for BMW North America. It wasn't the best experience money wise but the bike is running good. I should have done the service myself - oh well.

He put Mobil 1 syntheic 15/50 - I always used the BMW 10-50 - when I questioned him on it he really defended using the syn oil on my bike.

In all the threads I've ever read from F650.com, the jury seems to be out on using syn oil on this motor. The bike is shifting better than ever and no clutch slippage.

Any comments on yay or nay on keeping this oil in my crankcase would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Don't worry about it. If you are set on BMW oil, change back at the next oil change. Mobile 1 is good oil and it won't hurt anything.

I would not worry about it. If you don't like Mobil 1 change it out after 6000 miles.

As long as it is the Mobil1 motorcycle oil it is fine. I run Amsoil motorcycle synthetic in mine. The newer Mobil1 automotive oil is not suitable for wet clutches, but I believe it is not available as a 15w-50; rather it is something like 5w-50. If it truly was 15w-50, then it is most likely the motorcycle variant of Mobil1.

As long as it is the Mobil1 motorcycle oil it is fine. I run Amsoil motorcycle synthetic in mine. The newer Mobil1 automotive oil is not suitable for wet clutches, but I believe it is not available as a 15w-50; rather it is something like 5w-50. If it truly was 15w-50, then it is most likely the motorcycle variant of Mobil1.

No. The Mobil 1 "motorcycle" oils are 4T 10w-40 and V-Twin 20w-50. Both have no friction modifiers (for wet clutch use) and higher ZDDP content (1600 ppm). The Mobil 1 15w-15 oils are "auto" oils, with friction modifiers (so POTENTIALLY a problem for wet clutches; no issue for dry clutches), and also higher ZDDP content (1200 ppm) than the eco auto oils (800 ppm), but less ZDDP than the Mobil 1 motorcycle oils.

A Big Thanks!

Well sorry for dissing the BMW mechanic - I was pissed about the oil, although it's never shifted better and really pissed about him removing my emergency flashers because he didn't like my wiring job, which I admit wasn't great but took a couple days of figuring it out and blowing a couple relays. He took it out because the relay is for LED lights and mine are non LED - but it worked fine.

Oh well, I got over it. Good to know I don't need to drain the oil. I posted this 'cause I just bought a K75S and was ordering some parts from Bob's BMW and the parts guy said "get out the oil it will ruin your seals" and of course I got a little panicked.

Thanks everyone!

Mobil 1 15-50 is not rated EC (energy conserving) and does not have the friction modifiers that will cause clutch problems. I have been using it in both of my F650s with no problems for several years.

:drink

I use Mobil 1 Syn as well in my F650GS, and no problems.

As someone stated on another thread, any oil is better than none.:clap

Another uneducated knob :scratch going on about destroying seals.....what an idiot, but then again he can't keep his mouth shut BECAUSE he's an idiot. :banghead

It shifts better does it not? I think I'd get rid of it immediately and go back to the rough shifting.
robert

He put Mobil 1 syntheic 15/50.

OK so not a motorcycle, but I have been using the recommended 5W30 (Mobil 1) in my car since 1999.

With over 100,000 miles, my overhead cams look like new. Absolutely no scuffs on the approach side of the cam lobes, the last area to get oil on cold morning starts.

Unless you are running it at the drag strip on weekends, synthetic will not cause any clutch issues IMHO.

I have run Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Shell Rotella Syn, and probably another brand or two in my wife's F650 for five years now, NO problem.

Back