• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Marsee Tank Bags and Fuel Filler Caps

S

SNC1923

I'm new to the list and have a new '04 RT. Yesterday I ordered a Marsee Pocket Rocket 11 litre Corona tank bag and today I received it.

Excellent product, pleasant customer service, and lightning-quick delivery. +++

If not familiar, the "corona" is a magnetic crown that mounts over the ring surrounding the fuel filler cap. The bag, which has a recessed magnetic ring in the bottom, attaches quickly to the corona, and with a slight twist, anchors solidly--ready to ride. It's really a well-made product and hovers beautifully, just one-quarter of an inch above my blue paint.

This evening I mounted the bag and discovered, much to my dismay, that the gas filler cap won't open with the corona installed. :huh

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Am I doing something stupid that I can't see? (the directions were very clear)

Shouldn't Marsee's website have a declaration: "WARNING: Does not work on 2004 R1150RTs"?

I really like BMW's OEM bag, but hate what I hear it does to the paint finish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bag? I need to make my camera(s) more easily accessible, want to look at a map, and don't need too much room. I do want to preserve the finish on a bike I haven't even started to pay for, though. Suggestions much appreciated.

Tom Moran

SNC 1923 said:
I really like BMW's OEM bag, but hate what I hear it does to the paint finish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bag? I need to make my camera(s) more easily accessible, want to look at a map, and don't need too much room. I do want to preserve the finish on a bike I haven't even started to pay for, though. Suggestions much appreciated.

Tom Moran

Tom,
First welcome and enjoy your new ride.
The BMW bag will work & fit best. Go to your local industrial rubber supplyhouse and buy some 1 inch thick closed cell neoprene foam. It's sold by the foot from a 40" wide roll. Remove the skinny piece of foam from the base of the bag, cut a piece to fit the full base from your new purchase, attach with contact cement. GS & RS riders can do the same thing.
An electric carving knife makes a smooth cut in the foam. You don't have to be real anal about removing all of the old glue from the old pad. I know that will be hard for some of you!
Keep a good coat of wax on your bike and remember to brush off the bottom of your tankbag each time you attach it. HTH

tom, take a look at big mac bags. they have a great flip system that mounts to the ring around the gas filler cap. all you do is flip it up for gas nothing to unstrap and nothing touches the paint.i got mine from cycle gadgets. com check them out.

I'm a complete novice here so bear with me. I currently have a Marsee magnetic tankbag on my current ride (Ninja 500) and have to take my bag off whenever I fuel. I thought all bags had to come off to fuel, assuming your gas cap is on top of your tank (think F650). I'm not exactly sure how the corona bag works but reading about it in Marsee's catalog it seemed like it would be a piece of cake.
Chris

I did the closed cell mod to my BMW bag, and it works great! Ask for rubatex, it is a closed cell flexible foam, and I just cut it with a big pair of scissors. It doesnt have to be a perfect cut, it will not be noticeable when you install it. The original foam is crap and disintegrates quickly.

exharley scott said:
tom, take a look at big mac bags. they have a great flip system that mounts to the ring around the gas filler cap. all you do is flip it up for gas nothing to unstrap and nothing touches the paint.i got mine from cycle gadgets. com check them out.

Yup, had one too and loved it. :thumb Unfortunately there isn't anything like that for the LT :cry

Well, as it turns out, I was doing something stupid.

I now have the corona installed, the Rocket Pocket in place, and everything is groovy.

When I first installed the corona, I met firm resistance when trying to open the fuel cap and gave up. I must be jittery after having spent all the money on a motorcycle.

Marsee was very helpful on the phone and by email. They asked me to take pictures of it and send it to them to diagnose the problem. While re-installing the corona, I managed to open and close the fuel filler cap. I didn't take any pictures, but I did diagnose the problem: I'm a wuss.

Give their magnetic mounting system (bag does not touch the tank) a look. Really nice stuff. I know a lot of people want the biggest tank bag they can get (BMW OEM or Big Mak Air Bag), but I wanted something a little more streamlined, the Rocket Pocket, which is 11 liters. They also have a larger version with multiple exterior pockets.

Thanks to those of you who wrote with suggestions.:thumb

Marsee Pocket Rocket Interference??

I've read that Marsee's 11 liter bag interferes with the switches on the RT handle bars during full throw - specifically, the horn button gets pressed during parking maneuvers. Have you experienced any interference?

SNC 1923 said:
Well, as it turns out, I was doing something stupid.

I now have the corona installed, the Rocket Pocket in place, and everything is groovy.

When I first installed the corona, I met firm resistance when trying to open the fuel cap and gave up. I must be jittery after having spent all the money on a motorcycle.

Marsee was very helpful on the phone and by email. They asked me to take pictures of it and send it to them to diagnose the problem. While re-installing the corona, I managed to open and close the fuel filler cap. I didn't take any pictures, but I did diagnose the problem: I'm a wuss.

Give their magnetic mounting system (bag does not touch the tank) a look. Really nice stuff. I know a lot of people want the biggest tank bag they can get (BMW OEM or Big Mak Air Bag), but I wanted something a little more streamlined, the Rocket Pocket, which is 11 liters. They also have a larger version with multiple exterior pockets.

Thanks to those of you who wrote with suggestions.:thumb

Hi,
What did Marsee suggest? I have experienced the same resistance when opening the gas cap with the Corona magnetic ring on my 04 RT. I've just pressed on but if there is a way to reduce the friction I'm open for suggestions.

Bob

Back