• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maintenance Manual Suggestions

• Thread starter BigNordicBastard
  • Start date
B

BigNordicBastard

I just bought my first BMW, a 1999 R1100R. I have many years as a heavy equipment mechanic and am interested in doing my own maintenance. I don't want to waste my money on books when I can use it for gas to ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good comprehensive manual?:wave

Look on ebay for bootleg Official Service Manuals on CD for $10. They tend to suck though. The Haynes manuals etal tend to suck too. My suggestion is to dive right in and ask questions here!

The factory repair manuals - formerly in paper and now in CD - provide excellent specifications, sequences, and some exploded views. For the home mechanic they lack photographs and long paragraph descriptions because they are written assuming that the user is a proficient technician and has gone to school on that model.

For the Oilheads I have not seen the Clymers manual, but do have a couple of Haynes manuals. Both of these aftermarket publishers usually have lots of photographs and explanatory text. In both cases some of the specifications are suspect - especially Clymer's torque specs.

I generally have preferred the Haynes manuals - I think they are organized better. In either case they are only as good as the author(s) they found to write them. If I had to own only one it would be the factory CD or paper manual (depending on when the bike was built). I would supplement that with several good manuals/books on general stuff - electrical systems, fuel injection, suspension, and general workshop practices.

For most of our bikes I have at least two manuals - factory and Haynes in a couple of cases, and Haynes and Clymer in a couple of others. For Voni's R1100S and our F650s I have only the factory manual or CD.

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with Haynes for autos and understand that they are often suspect with regards to procedure but have decent pictures. I'll look for the factory manual and see if someone local has a Haynes or Clymer that I can look at to see which one I prefer.

Paul. I enjoy your articles in BMW ON and your posts here. Head up, Rubber side down!

When I can find them both I like to have the Haynes and Clymers. Each one tends to cover what the other missed either in text description or photos. To me they are complimentary to each other and give me the better picture about what I want or need to do.

I'm in the same situation. As an aircraft tech, give me a good manual and I can maintain something. Special tools are another issue. Paul, if a bike is running good, and the closest dealer is 100+ miles away, is a throttle body sync always necessary at regular services? Or can you recommend a inexpensive (not cheap) manometer setup?
Thanks, Jay

When I first purchased my 94 R11RS there was no manual. Gradually various service information was compiled by various owners (including use of the information provided to service techs).

The Internet BMW Riders (IBMWR) have a website which has a lot of this technical information available for download. See:

http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

The R11xx Tune-Up manual is very useful and is a pdf file.
http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_Maintenance_2-25-02.pdf

There is also an oilhead GS manual (many steps are similar for all oilheads)
http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_GS_Maintenance_1-20-02.pdf

I have mostly used the info I have found here or a Hayes manual for my 94 R1100RS. In 126,000 miles it has only been in the shop for a ABS modulator initiation when I replaced the modulator two seasons back. I'm not a trained mechanic, but have developed my home mechanic skills over 35 years or riding/wrenching.

I have balanced my TBs using a simple cheap manometer stick set I got 15 years ago at JC Whitney. No real big trick to doing it, just some diligence and patience. Actually now, there are better options to the mercury sticks, such as the Twin-Max. For a bit more money you have a much better tool.

I'm in the same situation. As an aircraft tech, give me a good manual and I can maintain something. Special tools are another issue. Paul, if a bike is running good, and the closest dealer is 100+ miles away, is a throttle body sync always necessary at regular services? Or can you recommend a inexpensive (not cheap) manometer setup?
Thanks, Jay

If the bike is running well it is not imperative that a TB synch be done. That said - synchronization is usually not difficult and the tools are not all that expensive. I have both an old Carb Stix mercury manometer and a Twin Max electronic one. I use both of them.

What regular synchronization provides me is an excellent diagnostic tool in addition to merely balancing the TBs. This is because difficulty achieving synchronization signals other issues. Issues such as: need for valve adjustment, induction air leaks, deposit buildup on valve heads or stems, etc.

I probably check synchronization on average more often rather than less often than the 12K service interval. Often it is a simple hookup, check, disconnect and get on with life. Sometimes it is a check and synch. Occasionally it is a check, attempt to synch, and look further.

i agree with everyone here, use a clymer or haynes (i have a clymer) for pictures and a bit of step by step and the factory manual for torque specs and official data. a little digging can often result in a free PDF of the factory manual somewhere. i got mine and printed it up, it is now a companion to the clymer.

Back