• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for a tour in New Zealand or Australia

littlebriar

I'm looking for a guided tour through the countries in the subject. More of a "touring" trip than an off road experience. I'll be traveling by myself. Recommendations would be appreciated. I'll need to rent a bike.

Yep that's it. Te Waipounamu in NZ.

I'll suggest New Zealand for first tour. I wouldn't use anyone else. I've used them multiple times.

Different kind of touring than the States. (As it should be)

I think it's as easy a country to tour in as any English speaking country (colony) in the world.

Depending upon what you are interested in, tour the South Island until you are bored (not gonna happen)
or curiosity drives you to the North Island. Really almost as interesting in a different sort of way.

You're gonna love it.

Charlie.

A tickler from a 10/14 post on NZ

Off to NZ
It's the first of October and you only have another month. I'm very envious !
Here are a few notes from one of our trips that my wife and I went on.

Jan/Feb 20??
I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror and saw a Pakeha. Ok, I can deal with that.
Had 2 chook eggs (nice dark yolks) before fixing coffee and had trouble with the hob. Is the switch on or not ?
Tried to fix my wife's tea and the zip overflowed after finally switching the power on. I have the new switches down pat, but the old ones are trial and error and play with me every time I use them.

When I stopped for petrol, the girl asked me if I wanted a docket. Hunh ?, I'm thinking. I know I just bought petrol, but did I ship something ? When I came to, by the look on her face, I could tell that it is not very easy to hide that look of a confused country boy from rural Virginia. At least I was entertained. I love it!

On the way to Kawhia on a very nice road with no traffic, I pass a road sign pointing to the later afternoons destination. The road was metal and I slowed down to tell my wife that I won't be taking that way as 30 km
of metal didn't seem like as much fun as a sealed road would be. After lunch and having another look at the metal road, it turned out that it would save 2 1/2 hrs. Metal it is. Turned out to be a nice road and lo and behold we rounded a bend and there was a Plunket ! Didn't have to slam on the binders as the Plunket was on the side of the road.

Stayed a night in Port Waitomo, where the Waikato River enters the Tasman Sea. The campground cabin was in the blazing sun all day and must have been 45 degrees until well after 1 am. I have no idea how hot 45 degrees C is but it sounded good as it was hot. The sun at this latitude seems intense. Life is good over here. I'm "happy as a box of birds".

Happiness here is, after driving for a while and encountering your first vehicle of the day coming the other way, discovering that indeed you are on the correct side (left) of the road !

Some of these may not be exactly right. Check with locals. Spelling from memory.

Pakeha-Non Maori
Chook- Chicken
Hob-Stove or hot plate burner
Zip-Wall mounted hot water heater ( for Tea etc.) 220 volt. I mean hot/ boiling
Docket-Receipt
Plunket-School for 5 yrs and younger
Metal-Gravel
Box of Birds-Real Happy apparently

May you wallow in the fact that you trip will be 10% cheaper today than just last July as the NZ Dollar has fallen some against the US Dollar. Tell your credit card company where you're going and get a PIN number for your credit card.
Take your bosses day and nighttime phone #'s and keep it with the # at your Airlines that you can reschedule/delay your return.
Have a great time and can we hear a short or long recap after you get back ?
Charlie

Back