• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking at 1997 F650

PeoriaMac

Folks,
I've got the opportunity to swap my 2009 KLR 650 for an 1997 F650. It would be a
companion to my 1996 R80RT. What should I be looking at for as far as problem areas...things of concern, etc?

Mac

I have a 1997 F650 ST and it is a great bike, except for the following. I recommend you first look for electrical issues. Look under the seat at the wiring going into and out of the voltage regulator/rectifier. Look for any signs in the electrical connectors for melting or burned wires.

Recommend reading some of this if you are somewhat technical. If your bike starts running erratic, it could be one of the issues reported here.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/VoltageRec...mply Explained) does The Voltage Rectifier do

I recently had to replace my VR and so far so good, but after reading that article, not sure it is the final fix.

At the same time I was having the VR/electrical issue I was having another issue. The plastic cap that holds the enrichener cable to the carb was cracked.

I have not done so yet, but my next project is to move the voltage regulator to a better airflow location. I think I am going to try under the headlight near the horn.

I've owned my '97 st now, for about 8 years. I believe the weak point is indeed the charging system. A good battery at all times is paramount. Bad battery can take out the vr, just as a bad vr can take out the battery. If I even suspect the battery going south, I replace it. I now keep it on a maintainer all the time, and greatly increases life of the battery. I relocated the vr in front of the intake snorkel, as well as buying a vr from Electrosport, (upgrade I think).

The steering head bearings are also prone to wear, but if you repack them every so often, not much issue there.

Many complain about premature failure of the water pump, but I've only rebuilt mine once in 52000 miles, and is a very simple job. So IMHO, these are one of the best bikes ever produced by BMW, (w/ Apillia's help), so, enjoy:thumb

Oh yeah, this ought to be under 'thumpers'- just sayin'

Last edited:
fwiw- that year F650 is a thumper, not a twin (i'm sure you already knew that). might get better/more responses by posting in the correct sub-forum.

mods- clean up on Aisle F.

Back