• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buying Remotely

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks - I have wanted to ride Rt. 50 from end to end for quite a long time, and it looks like I may finally have the time (and domestic permission) to do just that in mid-August. I was looking at a number of options, and I've decided buying remotely and flying out is the best solution. So the question is to those who have done this before - how do I arrange for a successful remote private sale? I understand about vetting the seller, and am trying to find someone willing to drop by and see the bike (in Pacifica, CA) and take a look for me (hopefully on Facetime). Let's say all that works out - any suggestions on logistics?

I think the easiest way is for me to send payment and the seller to send me the paperwork, so I can fly out with plate in hand. This of course requires a LOT of trust with a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. I guess I could also send along a deposit to hold the bike then fly out, confirm everything and head over to one of my bank branches (luckily several to choose from) to do paperwork and swap money, but I would have to wait a few days for back and forth fedex for Virginia DMV paperwork agent. Any thoughts or advice welcome!

Ted

Best check with your local DMV and see if they require a physical VIN inspection by an LEO when titling an out-of-state vehicle into your state. I know my state does, even on a brand-new vehicle with an MSO. No plates without that inspection…

Best,
DeVern

I won't comment on the first paragraph, but as to the paperwork, plate, and DMV - As long as you have the signed-off pink slip, the past owner's registration paper, and a bill of sale ("on this date, sold this vehicle w/ this many miles to...) in your possession, you shouldn't need to worry about actually putting your own plate on it until you get it home. But do call your insurance company before you start the ride home and get it covered, and have them fax (text? .jpg?) your proof of insurance, since most states require that too if/when you're pulled over.

In CA (at least...), any DMV has an inspector who can look at and take a rubbing of the VIN.

I guess if I was going to attempt a “fly-n-ride” I would plot a course noting places where I could obtain service be-it a tire or something major…….preferably BMW (parts availability).
There are a lot of forum members that are willing to help out so a note of when You leave and progress may help.
Good to see you on Ted.
Good luck.
Gary

I understand about vetting the seller, and am trying to find someone willing to drop by and see the bike (in Pacifica, CA) and take a look for me (hopefully on Facetime). Let's say all that works out - any suggestions on logistics?

I think the easiest way is for me to send payment and the seller to send me the paperwork, so I can fly out with plate in hand.

Call up Swider, he lives quite close to Pacifica.

Personally, I would keep it simple: get the seller to allow you to keep the plate, ride home with it and mail it back. If you get stopped (unlikely, you're slow!) the title, registration and bill of sale should keep you out of trouble.

I'd buy the bike for cash (cashier's check if seller agrees) with the standard 30-60 minute test ride, full refund if you don't like it.

You'll probably have to go to a notary public to have the title officially signed over to you... most quick-ship places offer this service.

Ian

Call up Swider, he lives quite close to Pacifica.

Personally, I would keep it simple: get the seller to allow you to keep the plate, ride home with it and mail it back. If you get stopped (unlikely, you're slow!) the title, registration and bill of sale should keep you out of trouble.
I'd buy the bike for cash (cashier's check if seller agrees) with the standard 30-60 minute test ride, full refund if you don't like it.
You'll probably have to go to a notary public to have the title officially signed over to you... most quick-ship places offer this service.

Ian

I agree, keep it simple. The title trumps all paperwork, so when the current owner signs over the title, they relinquish interest. You sign the title as the buyer, then the bike is yours. As long as the tabs are current and you have the title and bill of sale, I don't see any issue with riding the bike to another state, then transferring the title when you get to your home state.

I've found California's DMV to be actually quite helpful (chat-box on their website). Give that a go, too.

Last edited:
I've done it twice (both during the pandemic) -- Southern California to New Jersey; the first an R1100R in 2020, the second an R1100RSL in 2021. The second time was very easy as I bought the second bike from the same seller (a really good guy). He put new batteries in and I bought new tires that he mounted in his garage (both bikes). I did an oil change on both, also in his garage. When all the prep work was done, we took hour long intro rides. That was especially appreciated for the first bike -- it was my first time on a bike in Southern California.

It all worked extremely well. The first time, I checked a large suitcase -- and then threw it away at my motel (it was old and well past its due date). The second time I shipped my clothes and gear to him via UPS. Both times I wore some gear (including boots and armored jacket) on the flight and my helmet was my carry-on.

Really enjoyed all of it, even the inevitable problems that arose (and were resolved). I still keep an eye out for possible candidates for doing it again. It's really a nice way to cross the country, and there's nothing like the "adventure (YMMV)" of taking off on a new-to-you bike.

Edit: both bikes were current on registration and CA plates. So I had the titles, bills of sale, his registration and plates -- didn't get pulled over on either trip and had no problems registering the bikes when I got back to NJ.

And...I've actually done it three times, the third in 2022 -- buying a "well-used" 2005 F650GS in Missouri. There were some paperwork issues so for that bike, the seller sent the paperwork he had and I paid him via electronic transfer. I had no problems getting it registered in NJ before I left, and flew to Missouri with my own plate and registration. That was a very fun trip, although the bike needed a good bit of work when I got home. Ironically, I did get pulled over on that trip, in a small town in upstate NY.

As to the first question… I’ve done a few long distance buys and all worked out fine. I trust my internal radar to detect when I feel there’s too much risk. For a private sale, I’ve googled the seller and gotten good info. If the motorcycle is on a site such as this, MOA, that’s a plus. If the seller is willing to talk to you on the phone more than once and not rush you off, you can get a good feel for what kind of person they are, that’s a good check mark. Talk to them and get photos to verify the exact condition of the ride. If they show that they have good service records, that’s another plus. I’ve exchanged driver license photos with the seller too, and also had them text a photo of the title. So if you do decide it’s worth the risk, you do have to trust them and send payment, and then it’s up to them to send (overnight or just regular FedEx) the title and an extra key to you. I’ve sent payment by bank transfer to their account.
The texts, the photos and the text agreement and the bank paperwork all helps you if something should go wrong.

I've done a few fly and ride bike deals. My state offers a temp tag that you can purchase for $20, good for 30 days and you don't need the bike to get it issued.
I think the pay and have him send the title to you is a great idea, that way you will have the paperwork prior to heading out there. Maybe your state offers a temp tag as well? If not, a good seller will allow you to use his tags to get it home.

Unless the existing registration is expired, most states have a buffer from date of purchase to required date of registration. Check your local laws, and see what that buffer is. As long as the existing registration is not expired, no state in between source and destination should be able to hassle you for riding it.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Point of interest. I bought a van in Florida and drove it to Texas with no plates. I was stopped in Biloxi, Mississippi. A quick view of the signed title was all he needed to see regarding registration or license plates. But he did need to see proof of insurance which I had obtained in advance.

Back