• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

local dealer

Here's a few real world questions:

How many BMW motorcycle dealers would STOCK anything other than common (oil filters, spark plugs, etc) parts for older bikes, say more than 10 yrs old?

How many would STOCK items like ECU's for bikes less than 5 yrs old?

I think you'll find the answer is very few. Dealers that specialize in older bikes may carry higher inventory levels than dealers who have a newer-bike clientele, but it'd be very, very rare indeed for a dealer to stock a multitude of parts because of the carrying cost and the very slow inventory turnover. Who would eat the costs if these parts didn't sell at the Rally?

You guys are not being realistic at all in your expectations about what a supporting vendor should have available. He doesn't know what bikes are coming, what shape all of those bikes are in and has no history of what kind of prior issues they might have had.

Give the poor guy a break. I'm sure after taking the beating we've seen him take here, there won't be a long line of volunteer support vendors for the next opportunity to get hammered for "not being prepared."

Frank's

Hello all,

First time poster. Having been employed by both BMW NA and Frank's I feel as though I am uniquely qualified to comment on a few things.

First though, thank you Lester for providing me with the opportunity to experience first hand the demands of working in an independent M/C snowmobile shop. I have a lot of respect for you, Jeanette and your family and appreciate the lesson's learned closing work orders, picking parts, and climbing into the attic hunting for Metzlers.

Those of you frustrated at Frank's parts and service level should focus their angst on the marque which they so proudly boast and ride gazillions of miles in support of. You should demand that BMW NA do a much better job at servicing your needs rather than expecting an independent dealer to expend vital working capital on vintage parts and volume service for a 5- 7 day period. Get real! BMW NA leverages its historical product reputation in nearly every new bike sales pitch, why shouldn't it repay vintage owners with targeted service and parts support. Its not as if the MOA rallies just occur, they are planned for well in advance. C'mon BMW NA..exceed our service level expectations...just as your bikes performance levels often do.

BMW has the resources..just research the Quandt family P&L and get an sniff of the 2006 F1 budget. Haha..

DB

After reading some very intersting posts I've come to realise that BMW NA and Metzeler dropped the ball on this one. BMW NA should have provided some assistance (parts and materials) to Frank's. As for Metzeler they should be ashamed for their behaviour. If I still remember this fiasco next time I need tires I'll make sure to avoid them.

After all is said is done to the staff at Frank's all I can say is Good job even though you were placed in a very difficult spot!

Maybe a small cube van with "spares" for 1970-on bikes would be in order for the 2007 National.

BradfordBenn said:
Yup, but they were all at the Rally :doh

What, you expected me to wait by the phone! You could've left a message. Truck and trailer were standing ready as well as tools, tire changer and spare room. I know others in the area that also anticipated and prepared for the call.

FWIW, most members listed in the Anonymous Book would welcome a chance to help out. You might even make a new friend!

All of you that are giving Frank's bad reviews are misguided and spoiled. From where I sit and after reading the posts Lester did the best he could under the circumstances and in addition made a hellava donation to the organization.. That goes a long way with me. Try riding down to NYC and dealing with BMW of Manhattan if you want to experience a real nightmare dealer . The supposid flagship service center of BMW dealerships is lacking in any and every kind of positive experience in every dept you can name. I wish we had Franks in the metro area

mike cousino said:
:lurk

I did some asking and here's some information that might be of interest:

-The Metzler Truck was only there for show.
-The guys that were there with the truck were; the driver, his friend, a Metzler Rep and some other guy that wasn't any help. They weren't tire changers.
-The Lifts and tire changers under the awning were there for the dealer's employees to use if they wanted. They chose to work inside where it was cooler and wouldn't be distracted by customers.
-The truck didn't bring any tires except the displays.
-Frank's got stiffed by Metzler and Parts Unlimited on the "Buy a Rear Tire, Get The Front Free" deal. They placed the 250 tire order, but didn't get them all in time for the rally. And, many of them weren't free it turned out.
-Metzler wouldn't ship needed tires "Priority".

Did anybody think to open their Anonymous Book and call for help?
:bikes

Who did you ask?

Your information on Metzeler does not line up with a conversation I had with them a week before the rally about alternative locations for their truck.

As for folks who think that BMW should set up a service department, wouldn't that be cutting out their local dealer? I know in the case of Metzeler they always work though the local dealer and they will send labor and equipment
If the local dealer allows / requests it and that the driver is always available to sling rubber. At other rallies Metzeler has been on site with plenty of equipment and lifts with the local dealer also providing some labor and handling all the invoicing. Vermont was different and the variable is the local Metzeler dealer.

I have seen this many times, a local business sees the MOA rally as the greatest cash cow ever and wants all the meat for himself, only to choke on the meal cuz it is too much for any one shop to handle. Both Max and Lester were slammed for the entire rally, a third shop would have been too.

Another example is Steves Coffee Shack on the fairground. He went ballistic when he heard we give away coffee in the morning to the extent that we had to keep the south door closed and were not allowed to go out in the camping areas with containers of coffee. The first day Steve was so slammed a MOA member who owns a coffee shop jumped in and helped him keep up. I am sure he would have been just as busy if we had the south door open.

Profit is not a four letter word but at times can cause some very short-sighted thinking.

Best,

Rob Nye

BradfordBenn said:
Yup, but they were all at the Rally :doh

I also give a little leeway to the dealers as they do not want to bring in a whole lot of inventory that they might not need, but they should be polite about it. I think that what would be cool is if BMW Motorad could help the dealer out with spares. At work we do that for big events, like opening day at ball parks or Presidential Inagaurations...

Our local NJ club had Frank Stevens from BMW Motorrad NA as our guest speaker two weeks before the rally. Frank mentioned that they work with the local dealer on special arrangements for extra inventory and return of inventory for the rally. They were planning on keeping the warehouse open late for emergency parts shipments. When I stopped by Franks, everyone was nice, we took advantage of the FREE cold water and bought a T-shirt. I happened to look in the back, and there was Frank Stevens from BMW working away at the computer. BMW doesnt make a big deal about it, but they do try to support the rally. Frank also mentioned that it costs about $60,000 to send the demo truck with expenses, lodging, etc. Frank was staying at the same hotel we did, I also noticed others from BMW Motorrad NA who were there. Just because you may not have seen them, or been aware of what they were doing, they were there trying to help out.

Paul

MOA Rally NA support

There were over 50 names on the NA list of support, demo team, Mobile Tradition personnel, "home office" people, apparel team, and advertising agency personnel present at the VT Rally.

To imply that BMW NA does little to support the MOA Rallies is a totally uninformed and incorrect opinion. BMW NA was a significant contributor to the seminar schedule, offered a full schedule of demo rides, helped to make possible the Mobile Tradition Display, contributed to the closing ceremony and also to the door prizes.....and that is just what they did in the public view. There was also quite a bit of effort and support going on behind the scenes as well.

I offer a very big and public "Thank You" to BMW NA for their support.

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA
International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

VERMONT, It's Not Flat

Local dealer

Damn, I hit the send button too fast. =8^)

I also wanted to add a very large "Thank You" to Lester at Frank's BMW for going way above and beyond the call of duty. Lester probably had more motorcycles and people stop by his shop than he normally has stop by ALL YEAR LONG!! It is true you can't please all the people all the time, but Lester and his crew did a Herculean job of trying and that should be recognized.

The same should also be said for MAX BMW and their crew. Packing up an entire shop into a couple of trucks, moving it across two states and resetting up the entire operation is a enormous undertaking. Other dealers must think MAX is nuts. I know I could not find any dealer willing to do that for Rhinebeck or Charleston.

Thanks again to both Lester and Max for their outstanding support efforts on behalf of our MOA members.

Friedle

Back