• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Leaving for Baja Sunday

rebus

I'm headed to Baja this Sunday, down to San Felipe, then over to Ensenada and up to Tecate.

Any tips, warnings, or suggestions on crossing the border or travelling there on a bike?

I spent a week on the tip of the peninsula and drank the water without any ill effects, (the beer is better thou!)

then I got back and checked in here and well....:banghead

Have fun, its a really kool area, I'm looking forward to going back, I'd love to do the whole Baja peninsula by bike some day.

Just keep in mind that the Mexican view of traffic laws are that they are merely "suggestions".:lol (as told to me by quite a few folks I met down there)
In many areas the cattle and burros and such are free ranging, and at night they like to lie down on the roads cause the surface stay warm, so in areas where the roads are twisty be prepared!

RM

Thoughts from Central America

Be patient at the border but also keep the goal in your mind. If you have internal momentum they will sense it (hard to explain - but imagine comming back to the US after an extended leave - is anyone in customs really going to stop you? (drug runners exepted))

Don't stop for anyone unless 1) you want to, 2) they are a federall or local cop.

Don;t offer a direct brib in a pickle. Stick the bill between his hood and fender while leaning againts the truck laughing about the beer you need.

When you stop for a break, try to slow you're mind down and enjoy the people for who they are. You'll get a lot out of it.

Ride like you own the road and every one else wants you off it. (AND use your mirrors and signals, scan, look at what you want to hit...)

Ride during the day, play at night.

Look for the bar that's not designed for the tourist...

be cool hunny bunny and your going to have a great time!!!

It's ok to split lanes at the border if the line up is long. Just go slow because there's lots of vendors walking around.

Go to Hussong's Cantina in Ensenada and ask for a 'Sangrita'.

Have fun!

Baja water

I've run Baja quite a bit in my Landcruiser. I was told that Baja has a different water table than the mainland and it's "safer". I've been with people that have been sick but I think, considering our activities:bottle :buds :drink :eat blaming the water would be speculation. I've eaten, drank, anything and everything. One's intestinal fortitude has a lot to do with it. Don't miss the fish tacos off the street carts in Ensenada. Awesome. Also, don't know if Papas and Beers is still operating but it's a great place to offload excess brain cells. Also, Los Rocos in Rosarito for lobster.......yum. Please post a ride report when you get back. I miss Mexico ; (

Back