• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

large pieces in drained oil '97 R1100RT

SULLY

Drained the rear drive oil, and found many pieces of steel attached to the magnet on the drain plug. 2 of them measure ~5mm in size.

I've never had a problem, but my mind is screaming "rebuild the drive unit!!!". It's 85 miles to my mechanic, but I'd rather he handle it if I can't get a decent rebuilt unit delivered to me via UPS.

Please share your thoughts and opinions; I found nothing after searching the forums here--- maybe I was using the wrong search term?

Sully, itching to ride up here in the currently snow-free Great White North.

Drained the rear drive oil, and found many pieces of steel attached .... 2 of them measure ~5mm in size.....

Are you sure you mean 5mm (almost 1/4 inch) ? If so, something major has failed internally, even if there is no external oil leak, yet. I would definitely NOT ride the bike until the FD is repaired/replaced.

Almost certainly the cage for the big ball bearing has failed. This happens when the balls fail and get stuck. The drive would be totally unreliable at speeds over 5 mph.

Take it off. Take it in or send it to Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage, Get it fixed.

This, by the way, is why I change final drive oil every 6K with the engine oil. I can see debris before outward signs strand me.

Almost certainly the cage for the big ball bearing has failed.

Paul, is the cage made of steel? I have not had any of my FDs fail, so I wouldn't know.

To the OP, spike the oil with DC M Gear Guard at 5% and it should last longer. I have nothing on my FD drain plug between changes. I also use dino type Bel-Ray 90.

Paul, is the cage made of steel? I have not had any of my FDs fail, so I wouldn't know.

To the OP, spike the oil with DC M Gear Guard at 5% and it should last longer. I have nothing on my FD drain plug between changes. I also use dino type Bel-Ray 90.

Yes, the cage is bright steel, and very brittle. At one time there was a school of thought that the cage was breaking causing the failures. I never believed it. Absent a great deal of force that cage won't break and the only thing that will apply a lot of force is the bearing turning with a jammed ball. It is clear that the typical failure mode is chipping of the races followed by surface damage to the balls. Eventually a ball jams and the rest follow along behind like a train wreck, breaking up parts of the cage.

So little metal flakes on the magnet are chips off the races. The first sign. A heavy paste is usually worn off the balls, the second sign, and shiny strips or chunks are from a broken race. Little hairs are normal for the first many K miles, and are from the gears wearing in to each other.

If he has chunks they are either race chips or broken pieces from the cage.

thanks, guys!

the two largest pieces are 5mm on their long side, and both have convex radii showing--- hopefully confirming Paul's opinion that it's only a bearing race, not broken gears.

Took the wife out for a Mother's Day ride on it today and it performed flawlessly, but I'll park it until I straighten it out.

It only has 61K miles on it; after replacing the right cylinder head's base gasket for a serious leak at 55k, I'd like to keep this scooter for another 100k.

Thanks, y'all, for your input.

Sully

Back