• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

97' R1100RS flushing fluids.

tps3443

I just drained the rear drive fluid on my 97' BMW R1100RS it was kinda milky looking but clear for the most part. No chunks, or metal pieces present.

I cleaned the magnet, and filled with a little new royal purple 75W-90 rolled the rear tire a few times to work it around and drained it again, to flush it all out. I only used a small amount to flush the rear drive roughly 35ML

Then I measured out 265ML of Royal purple 75W-90 and filled the rear drive. I figured I'd lose a little sticking in the container and funnel so I added a little extra for the correct 250ML to reach inside the rear drive.

I've already flushed the engine with Castrol Full Synthetic 20-50W, and changed oil filter.

I will do the transmission drain, flush, fill tomorrow morning.

Apparently all of these items were just done, but I was unsure when and in this case, I've got a exact mileage when to do it all again. I just purchased the bike.

85,790 miles

I just finished the transmission today! I drained out 1,025 ML. And flushed it with clean.

I refilled with 825ML of Royal Purple 75W-90 full synthetic. Shifting is buttery smooth, and very effortless. It has made quite a change with driving!

I'm waiting on feeler gauges, and I will check and adjust valves. Now I'm going to resynchronize throttle bodies.

These bikes are easy with maintenance!

I just finished the transmission today! I drained out 1,025 ML. And flushed it with clean.

I refilled with 825ML of Royal Purple 75W-90 full synthetic. Shifting is buttery smooth, and very effortless. It has made quite a change with driving!

I'm waiting on feeler gauges, and I will check and adjust valves. Now I'm going to resynchronize throttle bodies.

These bikes are easy with maintenance!

TPS3443,

You might keep an eye on the seals; rear wheel, pinion shaft, front and rear tranny. Sometimes these older seals will weep synthetic oils. I had to go back to dino oil in mine to eliminate the weeps. Lots of discussion and theories on this in several forums.

Also a good idea to check the throttle body synch after doing the valves, especially if a significant adjustment is required. A change in the valve adjustment can affect the TB synch.

Back