• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keyless Ride - 1 or 2?

I ordered a metal key when I got my RS last year, and I keep it on a ring with the plastic one. It was about $50 Cdn.
Same here. The metal key won't start the bike but you can use it to remove the seats and lock/unlock panniers after the lock cylinders get grunged up with road grit. You still need the plastic key to start it.

I love not having to deal with a key. I like knowing I can shut off the bike and walk away knowing it will not run. Then walk back to the bike, climb on and start it up. No digging in my pockets for the key. With the RT I have remote locking cases with a lock/unlock on the FOB. I can not think of one negative of the FOB over a key, at least IMO. Some will complain about the unneeded extra technology, but it is pretty darned fool proof. I would never go back to a key start if I can avoid it.

I also have a Harley limited with a FOB. With the Harley you can unlock the ignition and remove the key. Anyone could start the bike unless you lock the ignition or it has security.

My Ford F150 is key less too. The doors unlock as you reach into the door handle, hop in a push the start button, again not fumbling around for the key, ever!

Do any of you see a real advantage to the fob vs the basic key start.

I may be the only wethead owner in the US with a regular key. Other than the several month period where I couldn't find my one key (lost in a jacket pocket), I've struggled thru without having an on-off button.

Regardless of whether you have one fob or two, having a spare fob battery tucked away somewhere on the bike is A Good Thing. While they are a standard and commonly available battery, you may not find them on the shelf in remote locations. The potential for a non-starting motorcycle in a remote area, due to a dead fob battery or a malfunction in the EWS system, is the only reservation I have on the keyless ride system. The plastic spare key protects against the first problem but not the second.

Best,
DeVern

Regardless of whether you have one fob or two, having a spare fob battery tucked away somewhere on the bike is A Good Thing. While they are a standard and commonly available battery, you may not find them on the shelf in remote locations. The potential for a non-starting motorcycle in a remote area, due to a dead fob battery or a malfunction in the EWS system, is the only reservation I have on the keyless ride system. The plastic spare key protects against the first problem but not the second.

Best,
DeVern

I carry a few spare FOB batteries, in fact I carry a few for Harley’s as well, helped more than one rider out in a jam

Best,
DeVern

The fob with a dead battery will start your bike.
Check your manual on how to do it.
A spare key will not help if you have a EWS problem.

Thanks for the responses. Replacing the battery in the fob is what got me thinking about this. Now I can stop looking for my non-existent 2nd fob. I'm fine with the keyless ride system, but I don't think it is necessary. I still need the key for my cases, taking off the seat and removing the GPS. So, not completely keyless. Now, if they only made voice command!

I'm fine with the keyless ride system, but I don't think it is necessary. I still need the key for my cases, taking off the seat and removing the GPS. So, not completely keyless. Now, if they only made voice command!

Having keyless on a GS or RS is not a big deal since it only works for starting the bike.

Back