• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chipped Key? 2016 R1200RS

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I think I know the answers but.....

1. Does the ignition key for my 2016 R1200RS have a security chip embedded in it?

2. If I have a key cut without this chip, will it start my bike?

3. If the answer to Number 1 is YES, and the answer to Number 2 is NO, if I buy (at substantial savings) a key blank with an embedded chip can my dealer program it for me?

Thanks in advance!

PS The reason I need to know is I've somehow lost my spare key. :banghead

Easiest way to find the key is to go and purchase a new, full priced key. :p
All set on the other thing.
Good luck.
OM

I think I know the answers but.....

1. Does the ignition key for my 2016 R1200RS have a security chip embedded in it?

2. If I have a key cut without this chip, will it start my bike?

3. If the answer to Number 1 is YES, and the answer to Number 2 is NO, if I buy (at substantial savings) a key blank with an embedded chip can my dealer program it for me?

Thanks in advance!

PS The reason I need to know is I've somehow lost my spare key. :banghead

Does your RS have keyless ignition ?
If your bike uses a regular looking key it has a chip in it.

Keep looking for that key :)

I think it may be on the road somewhere between Vancouver and Whistler, BC.

I always carry a spare in my jacket - just in case. Been doing it for years. When I switch jackets I move the key at the same time. This time I fear I didn't ensure the spare was properly tucked into its usual carrying pocket. I wish I had someone to blame this on. It would make me feel better. As it is, its the guy I see in the mirror. :laugh

Didn’t your Mom tell you to use a safety pin to secure your key in your pocket? ;)

OM

I think it may be on the road somewhere between Vancouver and Whistler, BC.

I always carry a spare in my jacket - just in case. Been doing it for years. When I switch jackets I move the key at the same time. This time I fear I didn't ensure the spare was properly tucked into its usual carrying pocket. I wish I had someone to blame this on. It would make me feel better. As it is, its the guy I see in the mirror. :laugh

Order two new keys and keep one in each jacket permanently! :)

Best,
DeVern

So today I bit the bullet and ordered a new key from my dealer. Coming pre-cut and programmed from Germany. A mere $130 CDN. I didn't order two.

I expect my lost key to show up any minute now. :D

So today I bit the bullet and ordered a new key from my dealer. Coming pre-cut and programmed from Germany. A mere $130 CDN. I didn't order two.

Don’t forget to check it! :ha

You did check your seat lock?

OM

Blanks for the double-cut Motorrad keys are devilishly hard to find. I have access to a top-notch locksmith here and gave him the keys for my K13GT and 2018 R1200GS and asked him to see if he could make me spares, just for unlocking seats, tanks, and luggage. He came up with four blanks from which the BMW keys could be cut, and was willing to cut them, but…he’s been unable to find any of his wholesalers selling those particular blanks. For the record, they are:

BW9EHP
BW9FH
BW9MH
BW9TE

So in the end, like you, I ended up ordering keys from my dealer. Oh, and on the lost key—I hope you’re right! “It often seems to work that way” sez the man with two plastic chipped spare keys for his GS…don’t ask. :blush

Best,
DeVern

I've torn the house apart (much to my wife's chagrin). And yes, I checked the seat lock. :laugh

If I find it, I'd be happy to tell everyone where it was.

The seat lock is just one of the places I have lost mine........a couple of times. :hungover
I finally hobbled my key so it won't walk off. It may be trying to organize all the other keys in a revolt. :eek
OM

May already have shown up.

In someone's tire....:brow

Personally, I always have a second key [FOB] with me when I ride.

The second FOB is stashed on the bike - without the battery in it, but with it, any time I ride. I also carry a couple extra batteries - JIC.

Told my son I'd give him a twenty if he could find it. He still tries when we ride together. He's a Sargent with the NMSP [currently in Alb teaching an auto theft class to the new Officers], if he can't find it, I'm confident no one will have time to find it.

Slight drift, though feel the pain :banghead

H’s only key to her SmartCar walked off a few months back. Very oddball shaped round key. Locksmiths in area wouldn’t touch it. She , as titled owner, had to take title to one of only two Mercedes dealers in TX authorized for SmartCar work, luckily one 50 miles away. After an exchange with female dismissive counter man, was finally able to order two keys and two key head fobs $$$$
The keys arrived and I was not permitted to pick them up… so back she went. The next issue was yes the key would unlock car and allow steering/transmission unlock, but, no start. Car had to ride a rollback back to San Antonio once pushed and turned out of garage to have key programmed to car. Couldn’t sync them without being on Mercedes computer. They balked at programming two extra heads we purchased online per SmartCar worldwide forum. After she was through with parts manager, service manager, and GM of dealer, They programmed the other heads and allowed me to retrieve car after a two week standoff. I still think I needed title, drop of blood and pupil scan to do that!

So… could be worse :lol

I guess adding an additional real key at purchase would be prudent and less painful being rolled into total ride out price :dunno

And BTW, the original key still hasn’t showed up

I said before , "Ain't technology wonderful" but in this case it is the humans at the dealership involved that Ain't so Wonderful. :banghead

Back