• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k75s longer windscreen

M

michaellarsen

i've seen some k75s bikes with longer windscreens. does anyone know if they make a difference with headwind and who makes them or where to get one, if possible.
-mike

Last year I installed a Aeroflow windscreen on my K75s, as I felt that the original windscreen produced excessive buffeting (at least for me). The change was worth it for me - it definitely reduced buffeting significantly. It did not by any means eliminate wind noise, but it was enough of an improvement that I would recommend it. Aeroflow says that windscreen is optimum for riders 6' tall or shorter (I'm 5'11"). I just installed "bar-backs" which had the effect of raising my head an inch or two - maybe theres a slight increase in wind noise as compared to the stock bar height, but only slight.

i've seen some k75s bikes with longer windscreens. does anyone know if they make a difference with headwind and who makes them or where to get one, if possible.
-mike

my bike had an aeroflow on it when I bought it and the guy gave me the stock screen as well. I rode with the aeroflow for a little over a year, it started cracking near the mount holes. I stop drilled it but it still cracked. I went to the stock windscreen to see if it made summer riding here in Arizona more comfortable. I prefer the short screen because it allows more air into my helmet vents and into my upper chest. I also noticed less of a sail affect and noticed that the bike was less reluctant to lean, made the bike feel more nimble without that extra weight above the roll center and without the extra wind resistance above the roll center.

JQ

+1 for the Aeroflow.

The stock windscreen on my bike was all scratched and yellowed, so I replaced it with the Aeroflow screen.

Aside from being clear and pristine, it pushes the airstream up to about forehead level on me (I'm 6' tall). The stock windscreen airstream hit me right at the neck, just below my helmet. That caused all sorts of buffeting.

The best advantage to the taller screen is you stay much drier in the rain as long as you're moving.

I've noticed no high speed or cross-wind instability with the larger screen.

The only problem with making the swap is that you'll remove the stock foam gaskets from under the stock screen and notice the Aeroflow doesn't use the gaskets. Thus, the casting cavity and fairing screw are visible under the clear Aeroflow plexiglass.

I solved this by ordering a new set of stock gaskets and painting them the same color as the bike. They fit between the fairing and the screen and provide a more solid connection between Aeroflow screen and the center fairing as well as covering up the casting hole and the fairing screw.

If you used the smoke-color screen, it wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is with the clear screen.

If you like to ride at high speeds (think 50 across Nevada), the Aeroflow screen, at least as it was made up to 5 years ago, wouldn't be a good choice. I had cracking around the mounting holes and eventually one screen ripped free of the fairing. :ha

i had a secdem which is a french copy of the aeroflow. it was rather easily cracked on install. be sure and go finger tight only if you get one. it's about half the price of the aeroflow.

having said that, i rarely used it and preferred the stock sheild for most of my riding.

wow!

Thanks for all the imput. I have also been looking at the Laminar lips as another possiblity. Being that the Lip is cheaper and I don't have to change the stock windscreen I will probably try that first. I am only 5'6" tall so I think whichever I get will work fine. I've already put plenty of $$ into the bike lowering it for my size.

mike

wow!

Thanks for all the imput. I have also been looking at the Laminar lips as another possiblity. Being that the Lip is cheaper and I don't have to change the stock windscreen I will probably try that first. I am only 5'6" tall so I think whichever I get will work fine. I've already put plenty of $$ into the bike lowering it for my size.

mike

Another option is to cut the stock screen down. I always meant to. I rode around without a screen attached for a good number of miles and kinda liked it. You're more in the wind, but it's also quieter with very little buffeting - for this 5'11" person.

Parabellum windscreens

Take a look at Parabellum. They will do stock +/- 2" and have a vented option that eleminates the foreword suction. They say it improves fuel economy however I don't see any difference.

One caution - never clean the screen with anything but a microfibre cloth or it will scratch.

Cost $259.00 + $49.00 for vents +$25.00 for custom +/- 2".

Much clearer than a stock windscreen.

Back