• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75RT Tires - Your Experiences?

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Howdy Folks,

I noticed this last trip the Metz rear was getting quite a bit shallow. My last experience on a Metz rear was some time ago, but it went from shallow to showing thread in a heartbeat. Rolling around Motorcycle Superstore it seems like there is a whole new crop of tires since I last bought them some years ago, and I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Particularly on tread life, highway manners, and behavior on the backroads. I don't canyon carve, but that info might help for others reading.

Here are the candidates it seems:

Shinko 230 Tour Master
Continental - Conti Go
Michelin - Pilot Activ
Bridgestone - Battlax BT-45V
and Metzeler - Lasertec, what I have on there now.

Any comments would be appreciated, especially on the Shinko tires.

Hi Ted,

I would use whatever Paul Glaves used on his K75's. (If memory serves, it was Metzler 88 or 880's. I'm sure I read it on this forum.) This of course assumes they are still being made. I'm pretty sure Lazertec's were (are) a sportier tire with a lower tread mileage. Sounds to me that you (like Paul) prefer higher mileage to ultimate traction in the corners.

Your point about how fast a "getting worn down" tire can go away is a good one. I once went on a 400 mile or so trip with a back tire that still showed a little bit of groove near the center. (Yes, I had it on the center stand at home and looked at all 360 degrees.) 200 miles later in the campground, somebody commented how my back tire sure was shot. What?!! He was right. Center tread was FLAT. I rode it home - slowly! No other option. Well, maybe I would have been better off making continuous swerves in my lane to run the tire more on the sides which still had tread.

Getting the last few hundred miles out of a tire is probably a bad idea - unless those miles are short trips, close to home, the roads are dry and you already have a new set in your garage or at a nearby dealership.

BT-45V run fine on my K75RT

My 95 K75RT came with BT-45Vs on it when I got it a few years back and so I have stayed with that brand. My first and only bike so no experience to compare them to other tires. I will put my third set on next month. I've gotten 11K+ out of each set, with a little extra tread on the front but I just change both at the same time. Seems like a stable, good handling tire. No surprises in the turns or rain for this new rider. So, I haven't felt the need to change brands. As usual, YMMV.

Hi, Ted,
I still have 3 (I think) Michelin Macadam rear tires and 1 Michelin Macadam front tire, which I purchased when Michelin stopped producing them, in my parts stash, so I don't expect to have your problem for another couple of years. On my spare K1100LT rear wheel (same as used on my K75A/3) I had mounted a Metz 880 140/80. It is now on the K75A/3, maybe half (or less) worn, with around 6k miles on it. If Metzeler is still making the tire when I wear out the Michelins I have, I'll use the Metz 880's until something better comes along.

As far as the Bridgestone BT45 tires, I once put a set on my K1100LT. They lasted a bit over 5k miles (the Michelin Macadams usually lasted around 12k rear and 20k front). They felt good on the road; they just didn't last.

Last edited:
I am using the bias ply ME880s on all 4 of our K75s.

I use the 140/80-17 rear in lieu of the OEM 130/90-17 and they fit and work fine.

I tried a Shinko TourMaster back tire after having to pull off a nearly new Avon Roadrider due to cracking. Seems to wear well, good handling, never rains in Texas so no clue to wet surfaces, holds air good, good price.
Was a Beast to put on, not to mount but to get it to hold air, finally used several tie down straps. May have forgot to take the value core out first. Took a lot of air to set the bead too. If nothing else, I can ususally change a tire pretty fast.

On my 1992 K75RT, I"ve had great sevice on the Michelin Pilot Activ's. They are
Michelin's replacements for the now discontinued Macadams, which I also had
good service from.

Consensus

There you have it........most of the tires you are considering are used by someone on this forum and, generally, they work well for that rider. Probably not the consensus you were looking to get for your tire search, though.

Back