• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire comparison for R1100RT

jyambrovich

aka Papa Yams
I need new shoes for my baby, so I'm interested in hearing about YOUR personal experience with any of the following tires:
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2 (fairly new...)
    Bridgestone Battlax BT021
    Avon Storm
    Dunlop Roadsmart (I hear these are pretty new)

I bought my bike 17,000 miles ago (less than 2 years on the calendar) with Metzeler Roadtec Z-6s on it, and put another set on last year. Now I'm looking at the possibility of switching to something else.

I'm looking for something with longevity (though I've gotten almost 10,000 miles on this set of Z-6s). I don't carve turns hard, though I like to get my "lean on" occasionally. I live outside of Santa Cruz so we have some nice twisties in our neck of the woods as well as Highway 1 south of Monterey (Big Sur and Cambria, here I come).

I'd prefer to hear YOUR experience, not 4th-hand info if avoidable. THANKS EVERYONE!! Break out the bikes, it's gonna be a fabulous riding season.

Jay,

I've worn out a bunch of Battlax B-020s. They were decent tires though the fronts tended to cup by about 7 thousand miles - I ran them as long as 9 - 10. Rears typically gave me about 8 thousand. Bridgestone promotes the 021 as the 'new & improved' version, so I'm sure they perform a bit better.

Lately I've been running Metzler ME 880 radials. I think I'm on my third rear and second front. They give slightly better mileage than the BTs but not to the degree I had hoped for. The fronts wear more evenly - I've not experienced any cupping with them. Also, their handling doesn't degrade with wear as badly as the BTs did. I need to add though, that I've been running higher inflation pressures with the MEs; ~38 front & ~48 rear.

The surprise was that overall I prefer the handling with the MEs. Lean over is very progressive - the BTs tended to 'fall in' more than I cared for. Even though the MEs are supposed to be more touring oriented I feel like I corner more confidently (& quicker) with them. They also seem a bit grippier in the wet.

Tire wear

Thanks Alien...
On my RT (running Z-6s), the front tire always wears smooth on the left half of the tire. I usually run around 38psi in it. The rear wears mostly in the center (too much time riding to "destinations" i.e. work and not enough time exercising the sidewalls of the tires) and I'm running around 40-42psi in it.
As stated previously, I've gotten almost 10,000 miles on the Z-6s. The thing I notice with them is that after around 6-7,000 miles, it's more difficult to turn (specifically left turns) and takes some muscle to keep the turn smooth.
You mention "cupping". On a car tire, I believe it feels "wavy" if you run your hand along the edge of the tire. What does that look / feel like on your bike? Attached is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• R1100RT front tire smooth on left side 1.jpg
    R1100RT front tire smooth on left side 1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 389
me880's

I second the vote for ME880's, I have about 12,000 miles on this set on my
96r11rt and no problems so far. Came with Z-6's and the were ok, picked up nails in both front and rear so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
max

I have been very pleased with the Avon Storm rear tire for performance and longevity. I've had vibration and head shake problems with Avon fronts. That problem is known on the internet. To be fair, Avon was very helpful in dealing with the problem. I know this is heresy, but I've been running a Pilot Road front with an Avon rear. The new Pilot Road II gets rave reviews, but it is pricey.

You mention "cupping". On a car tire, I believe it feels "wavy" if you run your hand along the edge of the tire. What does that look / feel like on your bike?

I don't have a pic of a cupped front tire, but it's the same sort of wear pattern you describe - very uneven with a scalloped, or wavy appearance. It occurs on the side walls, just off center. The tire remains rideable but has a rough feel when heeled over.

The left sided wear pattern your pic shows is pretty typical in my experience. Every bike I've owned has tended to do it, though it is more pronounced on my R1100RT (the K100RT was similar).

Man, you wore that thing down to the nubbins :brow

I'll vote for the pilot road 2 based on my experience with the pilot roads. I watch pressure closely and am not too agressive I'm just starting on my third set. ol R11rt had a new set when I got it with 106k now has 165k:german . IMHO

I've tried most except the Avon. THe 880s wore out quickly on my trip to Alaska, The Battleax did O.K, about 8,000 on the rear. I've used several sets of Road Pilots and seem to get the best wear from them. I got 14,000 off the last rear tire. My riding style is not terribly harsh and I don't ride much over 70 mph, which my engineer father always instructed me was the big culprit of tire wear. Friction increases (place some mathematical term I don't understand here) with every 10 mph over 50. So, for lots of miles, slower speeds. Of course, by dearly departed father never drove less than 80 and paid for more tires.

Ltownsend

ME 880 Marathons will remain my choice, high mileage and I haven't had a handling issue yet.

I'm on my 4th set of Michelin Pilot Road and have no reason to go back to Bridgestone, Dunlap or Metezler. By keeping 40-42psi on both ends I get 15-16K miles/set (probably being slow on the sidewalk helps?)!!

Abeemerman w/108,000 miles on a 1996.

i'm gonna continue to scoop up pilot roads (the original) till they're gone. great tire, usually good for 10K and now, they'll be cheaper than we're used to!

The decision goes to...

Metzeler ME880 this time! I'm going to try these. Beemershop got them for me and I'm taking the rims in to them tomorrow morning to mount them up for me.

I'm not going to be around this weekend to scuff them up and put any miles on them so my initial impression will have to wait.

THANKS for everyones' input. I appreciate it all.

I'm glad I'm not the only RT owner with a front that wears more on the left side. My old ST1100 Honda would SLIGHTLY wear more on the left but not in the same league as my 04 RT.

For what it's worth, I liked the Bridgestone 020's more than my current (to be replaced tomorrow) worn out 021's. I'm giving the Avon Storms a try...:dunno

Skip Honeycutt
Overton, TX
AMA, HSTA, STOC, IBA, BMWMOA

Thread Closed Metzeler ME880

The "M" in BMW stands for METZELER...I've tried the Bridgestones, Avons and Michelins and although all decent tires, the ME088 or Z6's work best (On RT's)

Tomas:thumb

I'm another user of the ME880's on my 1150RT. Previously on my airheads I ran ME88's and a laser on the front. I can't complain about their performance at all.

z6 and 15,000 and ready for a change myself. With 15,000, I ask my self why would I want to change? would you? Great tire both in rain and super slab. I was going to try the road 2 but they are not redily available yet. I think I wait until my next set.

RT Tires

I have been riding my 04 RT on Avon Azaro for the last two sets. I commute from Jax Fla to Atlanta area every weekend on a mix of roads and speeds. I get pretty good wear out of them, although looking at the mileage others report, I'm afraid you'd call me a liar if I told you how much. Even the guy who sold them (and replaced them 14 months later) was impressed. I have used Metz and Continental, with not so good results. I only ride one-up, and don't carry anything but me and a tank of gas so that probably has alot to do with the wear..

Back