• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75 Front Tire - Recommendation

dodge1chevy2

I've narrowed down my squirrly front end to the front tire. I've run a Metzeler ME33 Laser on my '87 K75C for many, many years. I'm looking for a change. I've located a number of possibilities in the 100/90V or H by 18 size. They are:

Avon Venom AM41/42
Bridgestone Batlax BT-45
Metzeler Lasertec - probably the same as what I have been using
Metzeler Me880 Marathon
Dulop K491 Elite II
Dulop GT501

What is the experience of the readers? Is there one of these possibilities that can be strongly recommended? They are all about the same $.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

Rick T

I've used the B'stone BT45 and didn't like it. It cupped way too soon. I have used the Michelin Macadam 50E in 100/90V18 on the front of Harriet's K75 and it is fine. I've used the Mac 50/50E combination on my K1100LT for tens of thousands of miles and I like it. YMMV

K75 Front Tire

I went to Dunlop K491s ( front and rear ) last year and really like them,
rain or shine , grooved pavement or smooth .

I had Metzler tires ( front and rear ) on my K75 , which I disliked because for me the tread patterns seemed to track rain grooves , tar snakes, road cracks like crazy .

YMMV , Todd

r65lsk75c said:
I've narrowed down my squirrly front end to the front tire. I've run a Metzeler ME33 Laser on my '87 K75C for many, many years. I'm looking for a change. I've located a number of possibilities in the 100/90V or H by 18 size. They are:

Avon Venom AM41/42
Bridgestone Batlax BT-45
Metzeler Lasertec - probably the same as what I have been using
Metzeler Me880 Marathon
Dulop K491 Elite II
Dulop GT501

What is the experience of the readers? Is there one of these possibilities that can be strongly recommended? They are all about the same $.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

Rick T

One tire you didn't mention is the Bridgestone S11 spitfires. I've put 14,000 miles on the the set I have and the rear is just now starting to get close to the wear bars. The front isn't as squirrelly as the metzler either (metzelers were on my bike when I bought it. I got rid of them quickly). I've ridden all kinds of roads and conditions on the spitfires and they've been great. They're also relatively inexpensive, if you look online you can get a set for less than $140

JQ

I have almost 18,000 on my front ME880. I've been running these on the K75 as well as my K11LT . Always get 15K plus. A great all purpose high mileage tire.

IMHO, these kind of tire threads prove two things:
1) Motorcycle tires don't last long enough to worry about it too much.
2) One man's pleasure is another man's poison. It's an individual choice and what I like in a tire may not fill your ballon. The good news? See number one.

dlearl476 said:
IMHO, these kind of tire threads prove two things:1) Motorcycle tires don't last long enough 2) One man's pleasure is another man's poison.

While I agree completely but different branded tires, particularly on the front, can make a suprisingly large difference in how a bike handles. I've used nothing but ME33's on the front of my K75S since it was new. Never thought much about it. The last time the front needed to be changed, no ME33's were available so I went with an ME330. I have not decided which I like better but what a huge difference in feel !! The ME330 appears to produce much less directional stablility. It has never done anything actually bad but it always feels like it might. For example, when accelerating hard, the bars twitch a bit as if the front end might go into a wobble. On the plus side, with the ME330, the K75S rolls into a turn or changes direction like a true sport bike with very little effort. At first I was put off by the twitchiness but as I have gotten used to it, I kinda like the quickness of the steering. Sort of puts the "S" back into K75S. Only by comparison, the ME33's that I had been so comfortable with for so long, seems to resist most efforts to turn producing very stable, high effort, slow, "Harley-like" steering. YMMV.

K75 - front tire

We have 3 K75' s, two tourers and one becoming a sidecar rig. Have tried ME33, ME88, ME880 on the front without any being less than satisfactory. Our top available choice of these is the ME880. Have one now at 19K miles with 2K remaining at least.

A stickier tire may be best for you if you ride harder than I but the ME880 has all the grip usable for practical touring and, when coupled with an ME88 rear, slides predictably when pushed hard. Tire changes on the road are an expensive pain (we do our own at home) and the long mileage is a real plus when accompanied by good handling habits. Tire pressures are key and we found 38 front / 40 rear solo with camping gear to be optimal.

May the K75 live forever!

Love my Battle Ax combo

I just replaced Metzelers with the Battl'ax combo mentioned in your post.
I ride/live in VT and these tires work great (so far) on changing road conditions, frostheaves, etc. The front has also greatly reduced the twitchy front end. (as will discovering the right tire pressure/rear shock setting combination)

If you ride a lot, it won't hurt to look past blind brand loyalty and try a different set..like you said, they all cost about the same.

I'm on my second set of Bridgestone BT-45s. I like them because of the deep sipes and because the front doesn't cup as much as the Lasers did.

I've got about 11,000 on my front ME880, and it has plenty of tread left. I'm guessing I'll get 15-16K out of it. I recently replaced the rear ME880 after about 8,000 (it could have gone another 1-2K) with the Lasertec. The tech who sold it to me told me the Lasertec has essentially the same compound as the ME880 and therefore should wear similarly. That seems about right now that I have about 4K on the Lasertec rear. It may go 10K.

Front tires on the back?

I need new shoes for the K75. I've been running Metz ME880's for some time. But I notice online that both the front and rear tire size are labeled as Front tires. There is no 120/90 18 in the rear tire section - on the Metzler site. Anyone know why this is? Do I go ahead and put two "front" tires on? What does it matter?

I can't find the right size in anything Michelin offers. I see people in this thread running sizes other than stock. I don't know what other sizes would be ok to run. I'm very hesitant to change brands right before my trip, I know what I'm getting with the 880s.

Try Ayers....

Hmmmm.........On my '92K75RT I'm using ME 880's -- 100/90-18 on the front and 140/80-17 on the rear. The bike seems quite happy with them, which makes me happy, too! I got mine from Ron Ayers & their website lists the front for $89 and the rear for $122 plus $10 shipping......

I need new shoes for the K75. I've been running Metz ME880's for some time. But I notice online that both the front and rear tire size are labeled as Front tires. There is no 120/90 18 in the rear tire section - on the Metzler site. Anyone know why this is? Do I go ahead and put two "front" tires on? What does it matter?

I can't find the right size in anything Michelin offers. I see people in this thread running sizes other than stock. I don't know what other sizes would be ok to run. I'm very hesitant to change brands right before my trip, I know what I'm getting with the 880s.

Gail,
I'd probably go with the ME-88 rear in the correct size and stick with the ME-880 on the front.
If you DO go with the two front 880-s be sure to reverse the mounting on the rear one.

Back